NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tua Tagovailoa 2022 Outlook

The Dolphins have added Tyreek Hill to bolster the offense in addition to newcomers Cedric Wilson Jr., Raheem Mostert and Chase Edmonds. They've added Terron Armstead and Connor Williams to a rebuilt offensive line and retained Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe in the TE room. Holdovers Jaylen Waddle and Devante Parker also on the roster. With all that talent on offense, can Tua emerge as a top 12 (QB1) fantasy asset this season?

3 hours ago, Newtown said:

The Dolphins have added Tyreek Hill to bolster the offense in addition to newcomers Cedric Wilson Jr., Raheem Mostert and Chase Edmonds. They've added Terron Armstead and Connor Williams to a rebuilt offensive line and retained Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe in the TE room. Holdovers Jaylen Waddle and Devante Parker also on the roster. With all that talent on offense, can Tua emerge as a top 12 (QB1) fantasy asset this season?

If he can’t he will be out of Miami.

• Like 2

There’s one thing we can all agree on now - the kid is officially out of excuses.  It’s “put up or shut up” time.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

I feel like we already know what we have with him.

But, I’ll be one of the first ones to eat crow should something change.  I would like to see it be Tua making NFL throws as opposed to the weapons making him look good, but any significant success needs to be acknowledged.

Edited by nn4mz

10 hours ago, nn4mz said:

I feel like we already know what we have with him.

But, I’ll be one of the first ones to eat crow should something change.  I would like to see it be Tua making NFL throws as opposed to the weapons making him look good, but any significant success needs to be acknowledged.

I’ll be here to remind you if In fact you do end up being wrong. 

Josh Allen struggled to make his receivers look good his first 2 years in the NFL and then he got Stefon Diggs. 

all QBs need weapons to make them look good and an OL, these are not shocking revelations. 

it’s refreshing to see him get a fair chance with coaches not trying to trade him, an OL, and upgraded skill position players. 

Like many before him and many after him it will be an interesting storyline to see if he takes that 3rd year leap despite how chaotic his first 2 years were with the revolving door of offensive coaches and the turnstile OL he was working with. 

same as you, I’ll be here to eat 💩 if I’m wrong and he does not make a big jump. Probably most important for him to stay healthy for 17 games. If he does that I believe the stats will be there.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I’ll be here to remind you if In fact you do end up being wrong. 

Josh Allen struggled to make his receivers look good his first 2 years in the NFL and then he got Stefon Diggs. 

all QBs need weapons to make them look good and an OL, these are not shocking revelations. 

it’s refreshing to see him get a fair chance with coaches not trying to trade him, an OL, and upgraded skill position players. 

Like many before him and many after him it will be an interesting storyline to see if he takes that 3rd year leap despite how chaotic his first 2 years were with the revolving door of offensive coaches and the turnstile OL he was working with. 

same as you, I’ll be here to eat 💩 if I’m wrong and he does not make a big jump. Probably most important for him to stay healthy for 17 games. If he does that I believe the stats will be there.

You keep referring to josh Allen as a comparison. Is that simply because he was a year 3 breakout?. Idk if that’s a fair one. Josh Allen never had arm strength questions or the inability to make all the throws. Josh Allen’s main problem was accuracy which was quickly corrected when he finally got good players who can get open. 

Tua appears to have one of the weaker arms of the NFL starters. That’s not to say he has a limp noodle arm it’s just the arm strength of a lot of QBs are out of this world right now (he’s closer to a teddy bridgewater arm than Justin Herbert arm).  He doesn’t make many “wow” throws josh Allen even as a rookie had some throws that dropped a lot of jaws. I think a better hopeful comparison could be Jared Goffs 2nd season (hopefully even better than that). But that’s just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

You keep referring to josh Allen as a comparison. Is that simply because he was a year 3 breakout?. Idk if that’s a fair one. Josh Allen never had arm strength questions or the inability to make all the throws. Josh Allen’s main problem was accuracy which was quickly corrected when he finally got good players who can get open. 

Tua appears to have one of the weaker arms of the NFL starters. That’s not to say he has a limp noodle arm it’s just the arm strength of a lot of QBs are out of this world right now (he’s closer to a teddy bridgewater arm than Justin Herbert arm).  He doesn’t make many “wow” throws josh Allen even as a rookie had some throws that dropped a lot of jaws. I think a better hopeful comparison could be Jared Goffs 2nd season (hopefully even better than that). But that’s just my 2 cents.

If I was comparing their arm strengths I would have said that. That is not what I was comparing.

obviously I was alluding to a year 3 breakout when Josh Allen got a WR upgrade and also comfortability in the system and the game slowing down. Josh Allen is just one example of lots of guys who break out in year 3. 

Tua basically has the same arm strength as Deshaun Watson and if you have watched a lot of the Dolphins with Tua playing then you would have seen Jakeem grant dropping a couple of 50 yard passes in the air that might have “dropped your jaw”. Now those passes will be going to Tyreek Hill instead.

Will be interesting to see if Tua can step up and capitalize on this opportunity. He has the skills to make it happen.

48 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If I was comparing their arm strengths I would have said that. That is not what I was comparing.

obviously I was alluding to a year 3 breakout when Josh Allen got a WR upgrade and also comfortability in the system and the game slowing down. Josh Allen is just one example of lots of guys who break out in year 3. 

Tua basically has the same arm strength as Deshaun Watson and if you have watched a lot of the Dolphins with Tua playing then you would have seen Jakeem grant dropping a couple of 50 yard passes in the air that might have “dropped your jaw”. Now those passes will be going to Tyreek Hill instead.

Will be interesting to see if Tua can step up and capitalize on this opportunity. He has the skills to make it happen.

Woah big fella I wasn’t putting tua down just pointing out that the differences in the shortcomings of each Allen and tua in their first couple seasons so more low IQ people like me won’t get confused. Honestly I think tua will do pretty good this year. 

I disagree with the arm strength and “wow” throws however. Just because a ball went 50 yards in air doesn’t make it impressive. And just because tua doesn’t have a huge cannon for an arm doesn’t mean he can’t be highly successful. Joe burrow doesn’t have a cannon arm but he’s got 2 good WRs and he makes all sorts of deep pass plays so can tua. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Woah big fella I wasn’t putting tua down just pointing out that the differences in the shortcomings of each Allen and tua in their first couple seasons so more low IQ people like me won’t get confused. Honestly I think tua will do pretty good this year. 

I disagree with the arm strength and “wow” throws however. Just because a ball went 50 yards in air doesn’t make it impressive. And just because tua doesn’t have a huge cannon for an arm doesn’t mean he can’t be highly successful. Joe burrow doesn’t have a cannon arm but he’s got 2 good WRs and he makes all sorts of deep pass plays so can tua. 

sorry if you got the impression I was being aggressive. 

the only point I’m trying to make is that year 3 has been a big year for lots of players development. Josh Allen’s being one of the most recent and impressive breakouts. 

Not really fair to compare arm strength to Josh Allen, he has one of the strongest arms in NFL history. 

Tua has never had the strongest arm, not in his entire football career but that was never what he was drafted for. His accuracy, pocket presence, and quick release are his elite intangibles.

I have to credit McDaniel and Grier for putting in effort this year to build a team around what your players do well. 

I can’t say for sure Tua will even break out. I think that he will due to his accuracy and the playmakers he has now that can rival the elite tier teams. 

From a fantasy perspective you have to be intrigued by Tua. If he drops back first look is Tyreek, 2nd look Waddle, 3rd look Gesicki, 4th look check down to Chase Edmonds. With his accuracy you have to like his chance of getting that ball to these guys and letting them take off.

• Like 1

I honestly think Hill and Kelce propped Mahomes up big time these past few years. Mahomes is still a very good QB, but in terms of putting up the ungodly fantasy numbers so much of it was due to having the mismatch nightmares of the best TE in the league and maybe the best WR. Hill didn't just stress defenses out by running deep routes. How often would he take a benign crossing route and turn it into a huge gain for Mahomes? Didn't he house one like that in their playoff game vs Buffalo?

I don't know if Tua is good enough to have Hill elevate his fantasy numbers the same way, and he doesn't have another super elite weapon like Mahomes did but having Tyreek certainly won't hurt.

I'm interested to see how Mahomes does this season, especially since he's only one hamstring tweak from a 32 year old Kelce from having no elite mismatches to lean on. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I honestly think Hill and Kelce propped Mahomes up big time these past few years. Mahomes is still a very good QB, but in terms of putting up the ungodly fantasy numbers so much of it was due to having the mismatch nightmares of the best TE in the league and maybe the best WR. Hill didn't just stress defenses out by running deep routes. How often would he take a benign crossing route and turn it into a huge gain for Mahomes? Didn't he house one like that in their playoff game vs Buffalo?

I don't know if Tua is good enough to have Hill elevate his fantasy numbers the same way, and he doesn't have another super elite weapon like Mahomes did but having Tyreek certainly won't hurt.

I'm interested to see how Mahomes does this season, especially since he's only one hamstring tweak from a 32 year old Kelce from having no elite mismatches to lean on. 

It will be interesting to see how Mahomes responds to losing Hill and Kelce starting to age a bit.

In regards to Tua, Waddell is pretty close to super elite weapon, I mean maybe not there yet but not far off, plus Gieseki and some RB weapons out of the backfield, I think Tua couldn't really ask for anything more.

• Like 2

I'm rooting for him, but I still have some doubts.  He's very accurate when not under pressure and has been very inaccurate when under pressure.  He's young enough where he can improve that.  It's just not a given that he will.  The O-Line improvements should help in giving him a cleaner pocket and be under less pressure.  No more excuses.

I know an eye test is a subjective thing, but he didn't pass mine last year.  I hope he makes some improvements in his own game to amplify the benefit of new offensive pieces.  Could be a fun year to be a Dolphin fan.  

Tua will eat.

Tyreek turned Alex Smith into a top 3/4 fantasy QB in 2017 (only 15 games!) and raised him up to the #2 YPA (8.0) in the NFL. 

We’ll see how special Tyreek Hill really is, but he’s probably pretty special…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Keithjackson said:

Tua will eat.

Tyreek turned Alex Smith into a top 3/4 fantasy QB in 2017 (only 15 games!) and raised him up to the #2 YPA (8.0) in the NFL. 

We’ll see how special Tyreek Hill really is, but he’s probably pretty special…

Yeah can't disagree here. Hill can play any game you want. Short game - yes. Long ball - yes. Alex Smith was a gem indeed in '17.

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2022 at 3:18 PM, Evincar said:

He's a looking like a pretty good target for those that dont want to spend up at QB.

He's got 2 top 17 WRs. Someone has to get them the ball.

Edited by Newtown

15 hours ago, Newtown said:

He's got 2 top 17 WRs. Someone has to get them the ball.

And a top 10 TE in Gesicki.  Could also make an argument he has a top-20 catching back too.

6 hours ago, kdko said:

And a top 10 TE in Gesicki.  Could also make an argument he has a top-20 catching back too.

Chase Edmonds is absolutely a top 20 receiving back 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Thanks 1