NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2022 Deep Dynasty Sleepers

ThreadKiller

The 2021 version of this thread was one of my favorite threads! Learned about a lot of prospects I otherwise wouldn’t have so I figured let’s get the ball rolling on it for 2022.

I know he was mentioned in the 2021 thread briefly, but I’m anxious to see how Aeverson Arteaga (SS - SF) does this year!

What are some prospects you guys are high on this year? @brockpapersizer? @PoundMyBeef?

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 2

Maybe not so deep sleeper now:

Elly De La Cruz , CIN:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=delacr000ell

Adrian Del Castillo, ARI, was talked about as a potential top 5 pick in the 2021 draft but his stock fell drastically during the season. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=delcas000adr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

The 2021 version of this thread was one of my favorite threads! Learned about a lot of prospects I otherwise wouldn’t have so I figured let’s get the ball rolling on it for 2022.

I know he was mentioned in the 2021 thread briefly, but I’m anxious to see how Aeverson Arteaga (SS - SF) does this year!

What are some prospects you guys are high on this year? @brockpapersizer? @PoundMyBeef?

I kind of checked out after fantasy last year knowing there would be a lockout. I'll be midseason form hopefully by midseason.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, Grungejrrgv said:

James Triantos the new Miranda guy

Triantos is only a deep sleeper right now because of limited minor league at-bats.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him in top 50 rankings come end-of-season.  

I've seen more than one comp of Alex Bregman.

Obviously bringing my Cub fan angle here:

1)  DZ Herz

2) Pedro Ramirez (17 y/o kid); line drive type hitter with incredible speed, middle infielder

3) Perhaps the biggest one:  Kohl Franklin.  This kid has incredible stuff and is just coming back from an oblique injury.  He's got elite/Ace-type stuff - interested to see how he does this season

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Obviously bringing my Cub fan angle here:

1)  DZ Herz

2) Pedro Ramirez (17 y/o kid); line drive type hitter with incredible speed, middle infielder

3) Perhaps the biggest one:  Kohl Franklin.  This kid has incredible stuff and is just coming back from an oblique injury.  He's got elite/Ace-type stuff - interested to see how he does this season

DJ Herz?..

Thanks for the Franklin tout. Definitely seems like a guy who could rise up boards with a healthy 2022!

Edited by ThreadKiller

22 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

DJ Herz?..

Thanks for the Franklin tout. Definitely seems like a guy who could rise up boards with a healthy 2022!

Yep!  DJ Herz!

Dude absolutely destroyed hitters after about mid-May last year: https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=herz--000dav

https://cubbiescrib.com/2022/01/10/chicago-cubs-prospect-dj-herz-makings-power-pitcher/

Opened up a player thread later in 2021: 

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Yep!  DJ Herz!

Dude absolutely destroyed hitters after about mid-May last year: https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=herz--000dav

https://cubbiescrib.com/2022/01/10/chicago-cubs-prospect-dj-herz-makings-power-pitcher/

Opened up a player thread later in 2021: 

I googled DZ Herz while thinking " I wonder what the DZ stands for lol".

On 3/20/2022 at 6:35 PM, ThreadKiller said:

my first contribution

Maddux Bruns

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 9:35 PM, ThreadKiller said:

Yosver Zulueta SP Blue Jays 

Edited by PoundMyBeef
  • Like 1

these are my notes from end of season for guys to check on in may

Xzavion Curry 
blake walston
chris rodriguez
mason martin

schunk
andry lara

ben hernandez
hunter brown
fidel ozuna
dj herz
graham ashcraft
masyn winn
Arteaga
po yu chen
Jeferson Quero
matt frazier
zak kent
Reginald Preciado
Deyvison De Los Santos
Bryan Lavastida
Steven Kwan
JC Correa
Ian Seymour
James Triantos

obv a few of these are graduated from deep sleeper 

• Like 1

Gents,

It's been awhile from me, hope you are all doing well.  One that has not been mentioned yet, I don't believe, is Jordan Viars OF/1B Phillies.  Big raw power with strong walk rate.  Think he will end up being a draft day steal, imo.  

• Like 1

Mason Black. 3rd round selection by the Giants that didn't pitch last year. Draft stock dumped due to 2 bad starts to finish out his college career. A little old for the level but the stuff looks like it'll play for sure. 

Mariners had a solid minors squad he was going up against as well

• Like 2

Cole Sands SP MIN ... I don't know why that guy ain't getting more love. Been watching him since 2019 ... now at AAA

Sands throws a mid-90s fastball, a curveball and a changeup, and has been working on a cutter. Just as importantly, Gardenhire said, he has a feel for pitching, which is something that can’t be taught.

“I’ve always thought that he’s a winner when he takes the mound,” Gardenhire said. “He’s ‘game on’ when he’s out there. He wants the ball in the big situations and he knows how to do the things necessary to win.”

Sands likes to think of himself as a winner as well.

“Just putting your head down and controlling what you can control,” he said. “I’m definitely competitive and I hate to lose. Whatever it is, I want to be the best at it.”

Edited by PoundMyBeef

Another guy to keep an eye on is Ceddanne Rafaela OF for the Red Sox...

His numbers last year are "meh". but he came on toward end of year and has started off on fire this year. (.395, 5 hr, 4 sb in 9 games) as a 21 year old in A+. He plays solid defense all around the field and has great speed to go along with developing pop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1