NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Michael Kopech 2022 Outlook

I could have sworn there was a thread on this guy for 2022. I may have even been the one to start it. Anyway, this dude has been my "sleeper" in redrafts pretty much every year since making it to the bigs. It seems like this year is going to be the one he breaks the rotation. I will undoubtedly reach like Stretch Armstrong for this guy in all my leagues. The shortened season should help his innings cap/W total. This guy can be a legit top 10 SP in the league and from what I'm seeing his ADP is sitting in rounds 12-14. That's amazing. For reference, guys like Logan Gilbert, Eduardo Rodriguez are being drafted before him. Hell, Frankie Montas is sitting at ADP 73 as opposed to Kopech at 158 (fantrax). Keep in mind this guy will most likely be pitching against #4-#5 SPs which is a sweet little bonus in itself. I know he comes with a health risk but if I can land Kopech inside the top 125 picks I'm doing it..........everywhere. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Any more thoughts on this guy? You think he’s the future “deGrom” of the league?

I think he has that ability, I'm curious what folks think about him for this year. Anyone trust him to get enough starts to be worth a top 150 draft pick?

3 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

I am assuming he is going to play a similar role as last year, just with a lot more starts and a fewer relief appearances. I find it hard to believe he throw over say 130-140 innings this year

People always say that they predict an innings cap - what if the White sox are competitive this year (which they will be)?  Kopech could easily go over 150 IP

27 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

People always say that they predict an innings cap - what if the White sox are competitive this year (which they will be)?  Kopech could easily go over 150 IP

Well thats a fair point, I am talking regular season only. I am thinking the white Sox will easily make the postseason with or without Kopech starting every 5th day and will want him healthy for the playoff run

37 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Yeah, there's zero chance of that happening. He's not going to jump from 69.1 IP in 2021 to 150+ IP 2022. That's just not how teams handle young pitchers in this day and age regardless of whether or not they're in contention. If they start him in the rotation they'll probably move him to the bullpen later on to keep his innings down. 

I can see 120 IP.  What I don't know is whether those 120 innings will come mostly from the pen or as a starter.   What complicates the issue is that the Whitesox should win the division and be a playoff team.  That means they won't just shut him down like a team out of contention could.  I think that's what tempers his ADP a bit.  You may get 10-15 starts, likely capped at 5 IP maybe, and then a move to the pen to finish out the year.   In some leagues that might be too frustrating or inconsistent to bother with from a roster/lineup POV.    I love the arm and if my staff has enough dependability in it, and not too many risks, then I might pull the trigger when the time comes.  

• Like 1

White Sox's Michael Kopech: Feels good after spring debut
(11 hrs ago) Kopech threw two innings while allowing one earned run in Thursday's Cactus League matchup against the Reds, James Fegan of The Athletic reports.
Kopech was behind in his preparation for the regular season due to an illness that he suffered from over the winter. However, he was strong in his spring debut, as he was hitting between 95 and 98 mph with his fastball and also consistently threw his curveball for strikes. After the outing, Kopech told the media, "The plan today was no more than what I did. But I said when I came out that I felt like I was good to go for another one." It remains to be seen whether Kopech will be ready to start the season in the rotation, though this is a positive step in that direction.

Scheduled to start the 3rd game of the season. Probably will be lucky to cover 5-innings but happy to see the White Sox sticking him in there right away. 

He is scheduled to pitch tomorrow for one final spring tuneup so will be tuning in to watch that.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:00 AM, BradMaddox said:

What amazes me about todays pitchers is they act like 150 innings is a lot to ask of a major league pitcher. How did they ever throw 250-300 plus innings back in the day without their arms falling off.

7 minutes ago, mks said:

What amazes me about todays pitchers is they act like 150 innings is a lot to ask of a major league pitcher. How did they ever throw 250-300 plus innings back in the day without their arms falling off.

I watched a segment from Pedro Martinez on baseball tonight where he talked about all of the specific arm exercises they used to do back in his day to strengthen certain parts of the elbow. Does seem like arm injuries were a rarity back then relatively speaking 

1 minute ago, Big League Choo said:

I watched a segment from Pedro Martinez on baseball tonight where he talked about all of the specific arm exercises they used to do back in his day to strengthen certain parts of the elbow. Does seem like arm injuries were a rarity back then relatively speaking 

Everyone is trying to throw 100 mph when they are high school age instead of learning the art of pitching.  I bet Kopech don't pitch 4 full innings 1st start might cap out at about 60 pitches tops

23 minutes ago, mks said:

Everyone should read Bob Fellers’ Little Blue Book of Baseball. He says players are too muscle bound and that it’s more about the arm being flexible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Everyone should read Bob Fellers’ Little Blue Book of Baseball. He says players are too muscle bound and that it’s more about the arm being flexible.

I agree baseball needs more stretch armstrongs not incrediable hulks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

So obvious this is the case yet these trainers are just trying to bulk up players.

Injuries are definitely more common these days.

• Like 1