NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Clevinger 2022 Outlook

I feel like it any hesitancy on the part of managers is osmosis-based aversion caused by Dinelson Lamet, Fernando Tatis and the general curse of drafting injury prone-Padres players in the past few years. Clevinger is definitely one to watch in Spring Training.  A delayed Spring Training helps Clevinger in 2022, as he likely would've been held to shortened outings for the first month. Now all the starters in baseball will be on the same program in April. So high-K upside guys like Clevinger definitely increase in appeal, especially if early reports are good. His ADP is such you might be taking him over a safer option like Ian Anderson or Chris Bassitt, so there's a decent amount of risk/reward here.

Edited by Richard Kimble

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Has he thrown in a ST game yet? I can't find anything so I'd assume not. Really want to see where his velo is sitting

Fantrax said he was scheduled to pitch a minor league ST game today, no word yet on the results. 

Okay, okay!

Mike Clevinger fired three perfect innings Wednesday in a minor-league contest against the White Sox.

Clevinger needed just 41 pitches to navigate three frames and was reportedly touching 95 mph with his fastball in this one. The 31-year-old veteran righty appears likely to be ready for Opening Day after missing the entire 2021 campaign recovering from Tommy John elbow reconstructive surgery. His average draft position will continue to rise exponentially over the next few weeks.

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he really struggles at the open of the season and takes some time to get closer to his normal self, assuming he becomes his normal self at all.   I really like the risk/reward with Clevinger, the issue is there is seemingly a lot of arms that come with significant risk attached.  Building a staff in this new age of 160 IP starters, and countless others who barely crack 120 innings, has made risk taking more common due to its prevalence.   Kershaw, Stras, Clevinger, Thor, etc    You can't roster them all so make sure you guess wisely.   

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Clevinger (knee) allowed one run over three innings in a minor league rehab start Tuesday night with Triple-A El Paso.

He struck out five while issuing just one walk in the 48-pitch outing. 30 of those 48 pitches were strikes. Clevinger was placed on the injured list before Opening Day because of a knee sprain, but the 31-year-old right-hander is likely to be an option for the Padres' rotation around the end of this month.

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised there isn't any more hooplah around him.  He's pretty much always been a quality pitcher.  It doesn't seem like to me a knee injury is a big deal for a pitcher to recover from. It's not his shoulder or elbow or blister problems.  Then again I am not a doctor.

2nd rehab start in AAA:

Clevinger (knee) hurled three innings in a rehab appearance for Triple-A El Paso on Tuesday, allowing one run on three hits and one walk while striking out five.

Clevinger was stung for a solo home run in the minor-league start but otherwise pitched well, throwing 30 of 48 pitches for strikes and racking up five strikeouts. The right-hander is working his way back from a sore knee that popped up in camp in early April. It's unclear if Clevinger will make another minor-league appearance or be brought up to the big club for his next outing, according to AJ Cassavell of MLB.com.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

2nd rehab start in AAA:

Clevinger (knee) hurled three innings in a rehab appearance for Triple-A El Paso on Tuesday, allowing one run on three hits and one walk while striking out five.

Clevinger was stung for a solo home run in the minor-league start but otherwise pitched well, throwing 30 of 48 pitches for strikes and racking up five strikeouts. The right-hander is working his way back from a sore knee that popped up in camp in early April. It's unclear if Clevinger will make another minor-league appearance or be brought up to the big club for his next outing, according to AJ Cassavell of MLB.com.

Saw he was "consistently hitting the mid-90's" as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Starting and not looking back, two start week

Looks like they may stay with a 6 man rotation this week. Padres website shows probables as Clevinger, Gore, and Martinez for Tues, Wed, Thurs. Which would mean Darvish, Manaea, Musgrove on Fri, Sat, and Sun.