NBC Sports EDGE Forums

What is your ideal dynasty roster design/make-up?

For those that play in dynasty (about 23 keepers) what is your ideal roster make-up?

How many QBs and TEs do you like to carry - what has worked for you?

How many RBs do you take when creating your roster in a new start-up? Last season top RBs got decimate with injuries and those with depth seemed to do much better. With a roster of 23 how many RBs do you like to carry?

And lastly, I know many say draft best player available as you can always trade from a position of strength.  Is there any scenario when this might not be true? The reason I ask is in this draft I have 1.03 (1QB league, no TE premium) and I'd really like to grab one of these top WRs. But I have a feeling Breece Hall might be there. I don't necessarily need an RB (having more is a luxury) but if he's there I just might have to take him. I think the 2 teams ahead of me needs WRs and they might leave Breece.

Edited by Big Nate

• 2 months later...

no more than 3 QB or TE imo.  load up on RB & WR.  honestly 8 of each is not too many.  have some high upside young guys too that you have no intent or need (hopefully) to play but could be stars given development time or opportunity.

I'd take Breece over any rookie WR.  heck, I'd consider Walker over any of the WRs as well.

On 3/14/2022 at 6:37 PM, Big Nate said:

How many QBs and TEs do you like to carry - what has worked for you?

How long is a piece of string?

Without knowing your roster positions & settings, that's really hard to answer. I guess you don't have superflex (or IDP) or you'd have mentioned it.

I guess you play PPR; if .5 PPR then both RBs and QBs become a bit more important. I guess 12 team; in deeper leagues an extra QB doesn't hurt, but even more so for RBs - in 16-team you're scouring practice squad to find the final (not really) viable RB. In 10 team you can afford to go bareback.

I'll assume no bonuses for TEs (or you'd have mentioned it). I can't really be bothered to farm TEs for a long time given how few of them are really fantasy relevant, but a couple cheap sophomores can't hurt.

So, let's say you play full PPR, 12 team, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K/D (9 Total), my bench (14) would look something like:

QB: 2

RB: 4-5

WR: 5-6

TE: 2

During the off-season I hold no K/D. Experience in your league also matters - but given that this is a startup, I'd err on the side of too many RBs.

I've been purposely vague, not in the least because from other posts I gather you have quite a bit of knowledge ;)

Last season top RBs got decimated with injuries

don't necessarily need an RB

Yes you do. I'm not saying grabbing a WR would necessarily be worse, but never underestimate during the preseason what a war of attrition the RB position is.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

How long is a piece of string?

Without knowing your roster positions & settings, that's really hard to answer. I guess you don't have superflex (or IDP) or you'd have mentioned it.

I guess you play PPR; if .5 PPR then both RBs and QBs become a bit more important. I guess 12 team; in deeper leagues an extra QB doesn't hurt, but even more so for RBs - in 16-team you're scouring practice squad to find the final (not really) viable RB. In 10 team you can afford to go bareback.

I'll assume no bonuses for TEs (or you'd have mentioned it). I can't really be bothered to farm TEs for a long time given how few of them are really fantasy relevant, but a couple cheap sophomores can't hurt.

So, let's say you play full PPR, 12 team, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, K/D (9 Total), my bench (14) would look something like:

QB: 2

RB: 4-5

WR: 5-6

TE: 2

During the off-season I hold no K/D. Experience in your league also matters - but given that this is a startup, I'd err on the side of too many RBs.

I've been purposely vague, not in the least because from other posts I gather you have quite a bit of knowledge ;)

Yes you do. I'm not saying grabbing a WR would necessarily be worse, but never underestimate during the preseason what a war of attrition the RB position is.

Appreciate the reply. Lots has happened since the beginning of March. I wasn't sure how the final month before the draft and the draft would go but looks like Breece is the general consensus at 1.01 now. I have since traded up from 1.03 to 1.01 to get Breece and guarantee another RB.

Our league is 0.5PPR, 1QB, no TE premium, no K/D. Start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 2 Flex (R/W/T) and 23 total bench spots. It is a transition from a keeper to full dynasty.

I appreciate the make-up question as I was wondering how many RBs to carry. I usually like to hoard the RB position and trade if any of the young/flyer RBs hit. I think I try to get 6-7 RBs at minimum, maybe a few more flyers just to have a lot of depth. Last year guys like D Johnson (CLE) and Herbert (CHI) provided some good relief and great weeks. Hoarding RBs can't be a bad thing?

As for the WR position I sure would have liked to leave this draft with London or even Burks and see what they could turn into. Lots of opportunity for them even in year one. Oh well, can't complain with Hall....

Edited by Big Nate
  • Like 1