NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonathan Taylor 2022 Outlook

Hello Mr. #1 Overall in any draft format!

What a BEAST he has been for the Colts and for fantasy owners alike.  Still young enough to potentially improve some, they are going to continue to FEED him;  enjoy him owners if you can get your hands on him in 2022!

spacer.png

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 1

• IlliniGuy76 changed the title to Jonathan Taylor 2022 Outlook

They need some type of QB to keep drives alive, but yes- an incredibly electric player indeed. 

Last year they goofed around with his usage early on as well. 370 touches last year and showed no signs of slowing down. Wish they kept his reception pace up however. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Ryan trade could actually be very beneficial for everyone on that offense. Obviously the o-line is strong so Taylor will still eat, but they can protect Ryan to keep drives alive. He doesn’t mind dumping it off to RB’s, & I think Pittman will end up being slightly more expensive this year with Ryan throwing to him. Overall this offense SHOULD be more efficient, and Taylor will justify that high 1st round pick

17 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

The Ryan trade could actually be very beneficial for everyone on that offense. Obviously the o-line is strong so Taylor will still eat, but they can protect Ryan to keep drives alive. He doesn’t mind dumping it off to RB’s, & I think Pittman will end up being slightly more expensive this year with Ryan throwing to him. Overall this offense SHOULD be more efficient, and Taylor will justify that high 1st round pick

I agree. This offense should be more consistent on 3rd downs and have more RZ opportunities. That's all a guy like Taylor needs to maintain or exceed his 2021 performance.

I don't ever remember RB's particularly thriving off of Ryan.  The only years that come to mind are the Freeman/Coleman years and that was more Shanny.  He doesn't dump off as much a many other QB's.  Offense may function better as a whole and present more TD opportunities, but at this stage I don't even believe Ryan is that much of an upgrade over Wentz. J-Tay should still be bullet proof since he's a home run hitter, but I don't think his ceiling is any higher.

48 minutes ago, kdko said:

I don't ever remember RB's particularly thriving off of Ryan.  The only years that come to mind are the Freeman/Coleman years and that was more Shanny.  He doesn't dump off as much a many other QB's.  Offense may function better as a whole and present more TD opportunities, but at this stage I don't even believe Ryan is that much of an upgrade over Wentz. J-Tay should still be bullet proof since he's a home run hitter, but I don't think his ceiling is any higher.

Michael Turner

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Wasn’t Patterson a top 10 RB last year until he got hurt? 

This is amazing for JT. It's just Phillip Rivers redux. Old QB past his prime but is also smart enough to read and process defenses and keep drives alive on third. Ryan's arm is shot, but he knows where to go to the ball and loves checking down, meaning that JT should get a ton of targets this year. His deep ball velocity is poor, but he'll take it when it's there to keep the defense honest. 

It'll just be another year of JT as the focal point. With COVID testing gone, hopefully the offensive line can stay healthy this year and actually play up to their status because they did not last year. Quenton Nelson had his worst season as a pro and Ryan Kelly was just bad.(He had a lot going on off the field).

Solidifies JT as the #1 IMO.  Ryan is 1 year removed from a 4600 / 26td season.  Last year he lost all his weapons and the OL was horrendous.  Much more of a factor in his poor numbers than any decline in his ability, and his passer rating was still over 90.  He is an upgrade to Wentz but also not such a huge upgrade that he's gonna eat into JT's workload.  They'll still be run first, but now they have a QB who won't choke every time there is game pressure like Wentz did.  Great pickup for the Colts.

• Like 2

Agreed- Ryan should be good enough to keep the ship above water- expecting a season similar to Rivers a couple years back.    I still have a couple of concerns but I'm likely a Taylor first overall guy regardless.    They lack a first rounder, but still have strong cap space to help.  They need an LT and lost Glowinski, and I'd like to see them add a competent wideout or two.  

Edited by BrianM

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Any workload concerns here?

he had a 372 touch season last year. 

I would assume if there is any, it would be at the beginning of the season with them limiting him just to keep him fresh for the 2nd half run. Which I personally think is a positive for championship aspirations (both fantasy and irl). Hines should be a more valued weapon with Ryan also.

Edit: just googled the depth chart behind him. 372 may be on the low end this year 😂

Edited by Breesus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Breesus said:

I would assume if there is any, it would be at the beginning of the season with them limiting him just to keep him fresh for the 2nd half run. Which I personally think is a positive for championship aspirations (both fantasy and irl). Hines should be a more valued weapon with Ryan also.

Edit: just googled the depth chart behind him. 372 may be on the low end this year 😂

He has a former pro bowler, and an elite pass catcher behind him.  

He'll obviously be the workhorse back, but I don't understand laughing at the depth chart. 

13 hours ago, ajs723 said:

He has a former pro bowler, and an elite pass catcher behind him.  

He'll obviously be the workhorse back, but I don't understand laughing at the depth chart. 

I specifically said in my post Hines should do very well in their offense, besides that I stand by my point. It comes down to if you believe this former pro bowler in 2018 (4 years ago) will produce enough to make the coaches take out Hines or Jonathan Taylor. 

I personally, am not banking on it.

8 hours ago, Breesus said:

I specifically said in my post Hines should do very well in their offense, besides that I stand by my point. It comes down to if you believe this former pro bowler in 2018 (4 years ago) will produce enough to make the coaches take out Hines or Jonathan Taylor. 

I personally, am not banking on it.

I agree with you.  Taylor is the guy. But as a separate point, I think Indy has good depth at RB. I was responding to you laughing at their depth chart, I wasn't saying their depth was bad for JT. I think Hines will have solid value, as you said, and Lindsay is a must own handcuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jharv2k1 said:

Over or Under 2,000 yards rushing this season for JT?

Under, of course.

Historically
* there've been 70 2000yd RB seasons since 1960
* in only 15 cases the player repeated that feat the next season. That's already not great odds.
* the last time it happened was in 2006 (Larry Johnson and Tiki Barber - Tiki actually did it 3 years in a row)
* After 2006 there were 16 more 2k seasons, but no repeats (4 of them came close (Ray Rice 2009-2010, Arian Foster 2010-2011, Todd Gurley 2017-2018, Ezekiel Elliott 2018-2019). So that's even worse.

Meaning: it's possible, but if we're placing bets then obviously I take the under.

Saw a stat he had the highest Dominator rating at 22 years old since Adrian Peterson (38.6) or something close to that. Also mentioned another player with such stats was Emmitt Smith.

• Like 1