NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Russell Wilson 2022 Outlook

3 hours ago, Roughingthegoff said:

Everything on paper looks good for him, except the Denver OL may be even worse than Seattle’s. Denver needs to install a Chip Kelly type offense as that’s what Russel does best. You don’t need to be fast to keep defenses honest in a well-run RPO, see Nick Foles in Philly.

Based on what?

6 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Lol is this a serious post? Where have you been the last decade?

Except here’s the thing:

Wilsons height didn’t matter as much because he was able to scramble effectively. He was never good at sitting in the pocket and throwing. In fact, it’s infuriating how often he misses open players across the middle of the field. Maybe it’s height maybe it’s just how he is but now that he can’t run as good i would say it becomes a more valid concern 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

I’m sorry but that article is wrong.

I’m not a Rodger’s fan. In fact I probably lean towards the he’s overrated department. However, it’s BS. Even last year he had multiple awful interceptions. Rodger’s throws the ball into absurd windows all the time. Often times he does this with a man open for a check down. Again, watch the film yourself. I don’t care about an article from one of the worst sports websites.

He’s just really really good at football. 

Yeah, I think we many of us on this forum use articles/peoples opinions to pass along as fact when it agrees with our opinion. Truth is, these articles are someone's opinion.

I think Rodgers is a douche bucket, but at the same time, this whole thing about him not taking any chances is silly.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

I’m sorry but that article is wrong.

I’m not a Rodger’s fan. In fact I probably lean towards the he’s overrated department. However, it’s BS. Even last year he had multiple awful interceptions. Rodger’s throws the ball into absurd windows all the time. Often times he does this with a man open for a check down. Again, watch the film yourself. I don’t care about an article from one of the worst sports websites.

He’s just really really good at football. 

Dude - I’ve been watching film of Aaron Rodgers for what seems like half my life.  I’m not saying he doesn’t ever throw into tight windows - and Mary must love him for how good he does whenever she is hailed.  But especially over the last couple of years, he has become much more risk-averse in his decision-making.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Dude - I’ve been watching film of Aaron Rodgers for what seems like half my life.  I’m not saying he doesn’t ever throw into tight windows - and Mary must love him for how good he does whenever she is hailed.  But especially over the last couple of years, he has become much more risk-averse in his decision-making.

Most quarterbacks take the easy throw as they age. Rothliesberger went from gunslinger to Chubby Checkdown, Brady and Rodgers were always that way but even more so as they age. Possibly a mobility-decline issue, or actually doing what the coaches want.

• Like 1

Greg Olsen Has Telling Comment On Why Russell Wilson Wanted Out (thespun.com)

When asked what went wrong in Seattle, Olsen made an interesting comment about the Seahawks’ coaching staff.

“I never thought they had a personnel issue,” Olsen told Cowherd. “The conversations I would have with the coaches and the amount of pushback and the amount of questions I would get in return, saying ‘I’m not sure if we could do this. I’m not sure if we could protect this.’ I’d sit there scratching my head. It was like we were playing with a JV roster. It was like we were playing with a rookie undrafted quarterback. It was very interesting to me.

“The ideology there was always defense first, kicking game, punt the ball, field position, forced turnovers, and then hand the ball over to Russ at the end of the game and say, ‘Go be magic.’ I just think it was part of Russell’s frustration. I think it’s why he said, ‘I want to go somewhere where this is going to be an offensive, quarterback-driven team every Sunday with the ball in my hand, like Aaron Rodgers.'”

2 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

Russell Wilson doesn't utilize the middle of the field as much as other QBs in that elite tier, he impulsively scrambles out of clean pockets and operates outside of structure (which is difficult to rely on against elite caliber defenses in the playoffs), and a slip in athleticism can lead to a steep decline in his performance. 

I've always thought Russ was a very good QB but Pete Carroll pulled the plug on "Let Russ Cook" for a reason. Just couldn't execute at a high level once teams dropped another safety back and started playing less man coverage underneath. He looked like Superman the first half of 2020 when he was seeing looks that are favorable to his skillset (Which is throwing the ball intermediate and deep especially on crossers), but you started to see his deficiencies as a QB once defensive coordinators adjusted. 

Maybe Seattle shouldn't have relied THAT much on their run game but dropping back 40+ times a game with Russ wasn't the best way for them to win either. Aaron Rodgers doesn't even drop back that much. 

It’s hard to utilize the middle of the field when you have no tight end or pass catching back. 

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Everett is one - Carson another.  Penny another.

Carson missed almost the entire year and penny over half. Carson is decent but he isn’t on the table if he’s always hurt. Same with penny. Which is part of the reason Rusty probably wanted out. Especially after Everett’s two dropped Tds and a drop Td/int

4 minutes ago, Roughingthegoff said:

Carson missed almost the entire year and penny over half. Carson is decent but he isn’t on the table if he’s always hurt. Same with penny. Which is part of the reason Rusty probably wanted out. Especially after Everett’s two dropped Tds and a drop Td/int

Carroll literally just said they’re bringing Carson back.  Let’s not act like Carson routinely plays only four games a season.  Drops happen - it doesn’t mean Everett isn’t a competent receiver.

Edited by BMcP

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Carroll literally just said they’re bringing Carson back.  Let’s not act like Carson routinely plays only four games a season.  Drops happen - it doesn’t mean Everett isn’t a competent receiver.

Everett is terrible and like Jimmy Graham before him, is just another TE free agent bust. Neck injuries are never good and Carson may be done. For the bulk of last year, Russell had no reliable middle of the field target or pass catching back and no guarantee this year will be any different. 

5 hours ago, Roughingthegoff said:

It’s hard to utilize the middle of the field when you have no tight end or pass catching back. 

No it isn't because boundary receivers and slots run routes over the middle of the field and he had Jimmy Graham at one point in his career. Russ has always shied away from throwing over the middle of the field (unless the receiver is WIDE open). 

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I’m more confused by the notion that they didn’t have a competent receiving TE/RB.

Seattle has mostly had decent RBs (elite when Marshawn was there of course) and he's always had a couple quality receivers. Chris Carson had injury woes though. 

Their OLs haven't been great but they aren't as bad as Russell Wilson's sack totals. Sacks are never just about the OL. 

11 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

No it isn't because boundary receivers and slots run routes over the middle of the field and he had Jimmy Graham at one point in his career. Russ has always shied away from throwing over the middle of the field (unless the receiver is WIDE open). 

Took the words out of my mouth - it’s not due to having “no” TE or receiving back.