NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Juan Soto 2022 Outlook

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

So melodramatic in this thread... buy high, sell low, eh guys? 

I mean, it could be august and he's still hitting under .250 and fantasy blurbs will tell us better times are ahead. he's a bust this year, plain and simple. he's not doing anything well at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Eddie Mush said:

Starting? I've been playing yahoo fantasy since 2008 and I've been numb to their stupidity for over 10 years

That's honestly the first yahoo article I've read in years just because I googled Juan Soto looking for some negative articles to fuel my anger.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

What’s this correction and why will it happen. No one would have ever thought he could be this bad for half a season.

Do you believe he's done? And not good anymore? He's a drop?

I actually do think he's costing himself money at this point. This is an extended period of time now where he's not only been the worst defensive player in all of MLB but his batted ball quality of contact is unimpressive . It's great to have elite plate discipline but if you can't barrel the ball with the best of them AND you're a god awful defender, are you really worth 400-500 million?

On 6/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, Del Rio said:

no coincidence I've had low-ball offers roll in for Soto after this article was published

If some of those were from a league mate named ‘meh’ it was purely a coincidence.

Soto owners in my leagues aren’t selling at a discount despite my best attempts to buy low.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Do you believe he's done? And not good anymore? He's a drop?

I don’t believe he’s done, but it may be time to start entertaining the possibility that he’s not as generational as we all thought. He’s possibly a diva who turned down a pile of cash he may never see again if he keeps this up. I have no doubts he feels the pressure at all times. Yeah, he’s on a lousy team, but so are a lot of players. Doubt many, if any, first place fantasy teams have him on the roster. I also doubt the turnaround this season because the season is pretty much half over. He was supposed to get good in May, then June when it warmed up, now July for…some reason.

Not an owner, but this is strange. Kind of reminds me of the miserable first half Jose Ramirez had a few years back. I was an owner of him and it was just bizarre. Turned it on in the second half and hasn't stopped hitting since. A guy of his talent just doesn't fall off a cliff like this. He will get it going eventually, but at this point, he's probably been a big factor in a lot teams getting buried in H2H play. 

Edited by CardiacDO
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Baseball is a game of averages. He's been brutal so unless he really does suck then he'll have some sort of correction 

A Player should hit his yearly projections or close to it. If this is true then he has a whole lot of Bulk stats coming next 80 games.

• Haha 1

Just now, mks said:

A Player should hit his yearly projections or close to it. If this is true then he has a whole lot of Bulk stats coming next 80 games.

Kinda what I'm expecting 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

I actually do think he's costing himself money at this point. This is an extended period of time now where he's not only been the worst defensive player in all of MLB but his batted ball quality of contact is unimpressive . It's great to have elite plate discipline but if you can't barrel the ball with the best of them AND you're a god awful defender, are you really worth 400-500 million?

His barrel%, like much of his stat cast page, is considered great. 
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/juan-soto-665742?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb
And I’d say it’s pretty laughable to think GMs around the league would overreact to this poor stretch like fantasy managers who are playing for one season would. There’s just no way this is costing him money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

His barrel%, like much of his stat cast page, is considered great. 
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/juan-soto-665742?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb
And I’d say it’s pretty laughable to think GMs around the league would overreact to this poor stretch like fantasy managers who are playing for one season would. There’s just no way this is costing him money.

Disagree as I often do with your condescending posts. When a guy is unplayable defensively at 23 that's exactly the type of thing that would cost a player money. The batted ball quality is also down substantially and the barrel% while good is still far off the best in the game. For reference he ranks 35th in Brls/PA%, so as I said he can't barrel "with the best of them" or even particularly close to the best rate.