Shohei Ohtani 2022 Outlook

The way he's pitching at home it's getting more difficult choosing how to use for those weeks. Watching him pitch the last two starts has been a joy.

• Like 1

I honestly thought this is what we'd see this year. Great hitting, but hard to match what he did last year. But his pitching has taken a step forward and he's absolutely one of the most fearsome arms in MLB. We're not ranking him in the top 10 among SPs because the 6-man rotation limits his ceiling, but the innings are such high quality it hardly matters. On a per-game basis he's right there. He's getting more dominant each time out. He's simply incredible.

• Like 2

Over 29 innings without an earned run, 3rd straight start with more than 10ks. He's pitching better than anyone has in years. Indeed, the last stretch someone had like this was Jacob deGrom. I'd argue this version of Ohtani is actually the best case scenario for deGrom's ROS. You can say his value is capped by the 6-man rotation, that's true. Still, on a per game basis, there isn't a pitcher in the game who's better now. Only Burnes and Shane Mac are in the same category. Its astounding to watch. By the way, he also chipped in a key 2 run single and stole a bag yesterday, for good measure, and his OPS is up over 80 points in recent weeks. He's not human.

• Like 3

One of my toughest decisions each week has been to decide whether to use Ohtani as a hitter or pitcher. Last 2 weeks I’ve used him as a pitcher and I feel pretty good about it. He’s a beast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

One of my toughest decisions each week has been to decide whether to use Ohtani as a hitter or pitcher. Last 2 weeks I’ve used him as a pitcher and I feel pretty good about it. He’s a beast.

I locked him in as an SP bout a month ago...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, meh2 said:

19 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

I locked him in as an SP bout a month ago...

Your leagues should adopt the new MLB Ohtani rule and be able to start him at both. We use onroto and I have him at DH and SP each week.

• Like 1

I heavily criticized Yahoo for making him 2 players a few years ago but now I prefer it. In my daily league I get all his production. Its well worth the extra roster spot on my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Your leagues should adopt the new MLB Ohtani rule and be able to start him at both. We use onroto and I have him at DH and SP each week.

I wish man. My commish is close minded AF.

53 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That would be great.  I hate having to give up his hitting numbers when I start him at pitcher but it is still a huge boon to have him in a 1 slot only daily league over 1 slot only weekly formats and split player leagues.  Love Ohtani!

Ohtani, the pitcher, is the #2 ranked player on Yahoo over the last 30 days.
33.2ip, 5 wins, 46 k’s, 0.27 era, 0,74 whip 

Ohtani, the hitter, is the #16 ranked player over that same period.
8HRs, 3sbs, 8 runs, 12 RBIs, .311 avg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, meh2 said:

Ohtani, the pitcher, is the #2 ranked player on Yahoo over the last 30 days.
33.2ip, 5 wins, 46 k’s, 0.27 era, 0,74 whip 

Ohtani, the hitter, is the #16 ranked player over that same period.
8HRs, 3sbs, 8 runs, 12 RBIs, .311 avg

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reports of cramping in the right forearm after last night's game. I don't want to speculate, just let him be good. He said he'll be back in at DH today, so hopefully its just a blip on the radar. Still seems likely they'll exercise precaution and bump his next start back a few days.

For owners in weekly leagues be aware Ohtani was involved a freak play with Marco Gonzales yesterday when he was on deck and Marco was backing up play at the plate. Was a minor collision but Ohtani was limping badly running to first base on his at bat. Supposedly was his plant foot,. Haven't read anything about it so far today, but thought I'd mention.

Edit, just read it was a spike on the foot and he's fine.

Edited by MrBrett
Update
  • Like 1

For those in weekly leagues like myself that have to choose whether to use Ohtani as a hitter or pitcher, he’s lined up for two starts now, one against Seattle and again on Sunday in an extremely tasty matchup against Detroit….

Oh lawdy lawd, here comes Shohei. I feel like he's ready to make a push in this MVP race, if Trout gets back tomorrow as expected, here we go, he'll actually have some lineup protection. Shohei himself admitted to reporters earlier this season that all the losing in Anaheim is hard to deal with for him, but he has shown up every day again and given it his best. His pitching has gotten the bulk of the attention, but his offensive numbers are still excellent. 

7 of 9 7 of 9 | Diamond Select Toys in his last two games with a couple triples, 2Rs, a HR and 4 RBI. She's He's Smokin' Hot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...