Shohei Ohtani 2022 Outlook

I'm just enjoying the most talented baseball player I've ever seen. I have him in weekly cbs but I dont switch roles with him, he's locked into the UT spot until I have an emergency at P.

I dont think anyone who owns him can complain about having to choose either him a hitter or SP for the day, otherwise you would be abusing the system.

Edited by roadawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

removed for right groin tightness

brace for impact boys

Ironically, his groin being tight made mine not tight. 

Damn you baseball injury gods!

I know he's been off to a slow start like many players but I'm really curious where his BA settles in. Two years of 280 then the COVID 190 year then last year a slow second half dropped him down to 257. He's been all over the map, maybe 270-275 is his realistic ceiling?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sitting Ohtani today in a few roto leagues. I had this date circled on my calendar because his worst career start came at Yankee Stadium. We'll see if its overmanaging, but this is the one and only time I'll voluntarily sit him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm sitting Ohtani today in a few roto leagues. I had this date circled on my calendar because his worst career start came at Yankee Stadium. We'll see if its overmanaging, but this is the one and only time I'll voluntarily sit him. 

I'm not really worried about his start today. My concern, is weather to start him as a pitcher or a hitter? With a DH scheduled, will he bat in both games? 

21 hours ago, keven said:

I'm not really worried about his start today. My concern, is weather to start him as a pitcher or a hitter? With a DH scheduled, will he bat in both games? 

Well that didn't work out either way! As a batter he was 1-8 nothing across. As a pitcher 3 IP 2K 12.00 ERA 3.00 WHIP. I did start him a batter, that 125 BA didn't hurt that much.....

23 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Going to say, it wasn't overmanaging.  Good call.

2 hours ago, theJokicBrothers said:

Ofc I trade Albies for Shohei and then he immedieately starts to cool down... 

Talent will win out, he's been pedestrian and still a top 40 player on the player rater. I expect the BA to get up to 260+ with 35HRs by seasons end. Still on a good SB pace similar to last year too.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mike11 said:

Talent will win out, he's been pedestrian and still a top 40 player on the player rater. I expect the BA to get up to 260+ with 35HRs by seasons end. Still on a good SB pace similar to last year too.

Honestly the player rater thing is so misleading. Dude hasn’t been great in any cat this year. He’s ranked 88 in my league and that seems about right when looking at his numbers. Ohtani’s been pretty disappointing. I actually traded him 2 weeks ago. 

Edited by chud12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Honestly the player rater thing is so misleading. Dude hasn’t been great in any cat this year. He’s ranked 88 in my league and that seems about right when looking at his numbers. Ohtani’s been pretty disappointing. I actually traded him 2 weeks ago. 

It goes off the sum gain of the total parts, in other words players who are hitting homeruns and stolen bases but only take up one slot are valued higher. He's on pace for 90 Runs, 90 RBIs, 33 HRs, 21 SBs but hitting 242. OBP is still 323, I think he needs to go back to being more selective at the plate but he's returned solid value even with a slower than usual start.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, theJokicBrothers said:

Ofc I trade Albies for Shohei and then he immedieately starts to cool down... 

and Albies has been awful for the last month, so what are you really crying about

• 2 weeks later...

I love how he's being viewed as an Underdog for AL MVP. All he did last night was hit 2 HRs with 8 RBI. Tonight he's pitching a gem, 10ks already and the 5th inning isn't done, he's only at 66 pitches. He'll have a new career high before the night is over. 

Best of all, he hasn't caught a hot streak yet. He's had a bunch of big 2 HR games like last night, but he might be ready to turn on the switch like last season. Shohei is the greatest show on Earth, and its going to take a 60-HR season from Aaron Judge or 150 RBI from Jose Ramirez to seriously threaten a repeat MVP performance. Even if one of those guys wins the award, there's no way they are actually more valuable than the Human Cheat Code.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, jwblue said:

Ohtani hurt his back on a swing.  I would expect an IL stint.

Are we watching the same game? 

Looks like he barely tapped his back... he continued to bat?

• Like 1