NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Shohei Ohtani 2022 Outlook

What are you planning on doing with Ohtani today? Normally he's always a start as a pitcher when he pitches, but his last ST start (lol spring training) wasn't sharp with a few walks. Last year he didn't get to 5 innings in his first two starts. With the slow ramp up for SPs, I think throwing him in as a batter in a QS league is the better play today. 

Thoughts? 

2 hours ago, mks said:

Everyone raving about his pitching last night? HE LOST!!!

If you let wins and losses dictate how you process a pitcher's performance, you are in for a bumpy ride.  Pitchers can't generally control if they win or lose.  They can win on a night they throw 5 innings and give up 7 runs and could lose on a night they pitch 9 innings and give up 1 hit.  

Shohei was in a pitcher's duel last night.  The two starting pitchers went roughly 10 innings with 1 run allowed between them.  At best only one of them will get a win.  Starting off with a 9:1 K:BB is a good way to start the season for Ohtani, especially against a good club like Houston.  

This was a very solid start to the season for him and the fact that Framber Valdez had an outstanding night is just the way things go.  Not everyone gets to face off against the Pirates and get an easy win.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you let wins and losses dictate how you process a pitcher's performance, you are in for a bumpy ride.  Pitchers can't generally control if they win or lose.  They can win on a night they throw 5 innings and give up 7 runs and could lose on a night they pitch 9 innings and give up 1 hit.  

Shohei was in a pitcher's duel last night.  The two starting pitchers went roughly 10 innings with 1 run allowed between them.  At best only one of them will get a win.  Starting off with a 9:1 K:BB is a good way to start the season for Ohtani, especially against a good club like Houston.  

This was a very solid start to the season for him and the fact that Framber Valdez had an outstanding night is just the way things go.  Not everyone gets to face off against the Pirates and get an easy win.

Me wonders why Framber didn;t get all the headlines when he actually won and pitched much better.

1 minute ago, mks said:

Me wonders why Framber didn;t get all the headlines when he actually won and pitched much better.

People are excited to see what the reigning MVP does.  Headlines are there to generate clicks and Ohtani brings those.  

The hardcore fantasy people like on this site aren't losing their minds over Ohtani's debut or anything.  

It is like asking why any good game from Luka Doncic draws a ton of attention even when the Mavericks lose.  Ohtani is a star who gets clicks for the media reporting on him.  Nothing else to see from my end but no reason to talk down a very solid start to the season on the mound from Ohtani.

This sets aside some of my concerns. He was filthy last night, 2-3 extra mph on each of his pitches (subject to lower a bit throughout the season). Definitely a start at the Rangers on the 14th. Might not get 6 innings but I expect him to at least get 5. 

21 hours ago, mike11 said:

Tough choice but I'd start him as a pitcher. I only own the batter version though.

I feel better knowing I didn't screw someone out of that start haha

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mike11 said:

The worst feeling is having Ohtani bat going against Ohtani pitcher. I wish yahoo didn’t break him up smh

I'm still mad I can't start him as both a hitter and pitcher simultaneously in ESPN. The guy is one player, I should be able to use any stats he accumulates on the night on either side of the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dele said:

I'm still mad I can't start him as both a hitter and pitcher simultaneously in ESPN. The guy is one player, I should be able to use any stats he accumulates on the night on either side of the ball.

Hes already completely broken in Espn and youre complaining that hes not even more broken?

22 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Hes already completely broken in Espn and youre complaining that hes not even more broken?

How is he broken in ESPN? What's broken is Yahoo. It's crazy to treat him as two players, and it's also silly to not let him accumulate both kinds of stats in the same game. He is one player.

For what it's worth, when I owned Bumgarner back in 2014-15 I was grumpy I couldn't put him in at UTIL on days he was pitching. Why not let fantasy managers decide how best to use their players?

Edited by dele
typo

26 minutes ago, dele said:

How is he broken in ESPN? What's broken is Yahoo. It's crazy to treat him as two players, and it's also silly to not let him accumulate both kinds of stats in the same game. He is one player.

For what it's worth, when I owned Bumgarner back in 2014-15 I was grumpy I couldn't put him in at UTIL on days he was pitching. Why not let fantasy managers decide how best to use their players?

I agree he should be one player, but making you choose between hitter or pitcher each night is more than fair. Being able to play him as either a SP or a DH is already a tremendous advantage, you cant do that with any other player. Youre not satisfied with that and want even more. Theres no reason to make the advantage even bigger when it takes no skill to draft Ohtani first overall in the first place. 

• Haha 1