NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Preferred draft spot for 2022

What would be your preferred draft spot for 2022 drafts?  Assume a 12 team league with snake drafting.  Would you want one of the top 6 and then wait for your next pick? Or pick towards the end of round 1 and get your second pick sooner?

Do you prefer to be at the ends of each round? Or in the relative middle to avoid having long stretches without a pick?

How would you set your KDS for NFBC drafts?

51 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

What would be your preferred draft spot for 2022 drafts?  Assume a 12 team league with snake drafting.  Would you want one of the top 6 and then wait for your next pick? Or pick towards the end of round 1 and get your second pick sooner?

Do you prefer to be at the ends of each round? Or in the relative middle to avoid having long stretches without a pick?

I always want the top of the draft. I leave it the way it is. I think it's the third round, the NFBC reverses the draft. This is to help the teams towards the bottom of the draft. Think about that for a second. It has been proven over time the higher you draft the better your chances.

My preference is not to have the first two or last two picks just because i'd rather not have the long and short gaps between picks. Like most, would rather be 1 or 2 than last two.   

Last season in my 3 leagues I picked last in 2 and second to last in the other and did fine. Being prepared for any scenario is the best you can do sometimes.

Always want the first overall pick. I like picking on the corner for back to back picks. Plus I love getting the best overall player. But the main part is I usually like the picks you get at 24/25 almost as much as the guys that have the last pick get at 12/13. Plus I also have the best player in the league.

I see 2 people say always #1 but every year is different. Hell last year I seen 7 different guys go 1st overall in Acuna, Tatis, Soto, Trout, Betts, deGrom and Cole so last year wasn’t a good spot for 1st overall. 

Some years a big tier drop happens in rnd 2 so getting 2 picks before that is good or if the drop is in rnd 3 getting a early pick to have 3 picks betore said drop is important etc…

That said for me right now in 15 team NFBC style roto I love pick 1 and 2 not only because Turner and Tatis are great but the flexibility with Trea having 2B and Ss and Tatis having Ss and OF can really come in handy. I’ve done 5 draft and holds so far and got pick 2 in one Tatis (and he’s currently starting in the OF) and 1st in my most recent and went Trea (and he’s currently starting at SS) in a vacuum most including me would likely say Tatis is more valuable at SS and Trea at 2B but that flexibility is huge when drafting and also will likely be huge come the regular season.

Right now I probably rank 1-2-3 (Ramirez or hope that Trea or Tatis fall) then 15-4 or 12-4. Love starting Trout and Harper, Trout and Betts, I would really a love Trout and Ohtani Angels attack but that seems slim to none chances of happening but it isn’t impossible.

17 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

I always prefer to draft 12th cause that means I won last years championship.

19 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Ohtani is a weird build because he’s going to be your UT.  I’ve never started off with a UT before 

Me neither and in my 5 drafts so far I have only had the chance at him once (picked 2 once and 1 once) at pick 14 or 15 but Trout had went so I passed, the Ohtani and Trout stack was what I am interested in trying not just Ohtani. Clogging the Utility slot so early isn’t ideal but a heslthy Trout and Ohtani could be top 2 hitters in baseball and if so could have 4 top 10ish bats in said lineup like last years Jays and with Rendon so cheap I definitely would be willing to start Ohtani and Trout at the back or hell maybe it forces me to auction then add Rendon for sure and see what else happens.

2 hours ago, turner46 said:

Me neither and in my 5 drafts so far I have only had the chance at him once (picked 2 once and 1 once) at pick 14 or 15 but Trout had went so I passed, the Ohtani and Trout stack was what I am interested in trying not just Ohtani. Clogging the Utility slot so early isn’t ideal but a heslthy Trout and Ohtani could be top 2 hitters in baseball and if so could have 4 top 10ish bats in said lineup like last years Jays and with Rendon so cheap I definitely would be willing to start Ohtani and Trout at the back or hell maybe it forces me to auction then add Rendon for sure and see what else happens.

I shouldn't have said never, because I did a few weeks ago at 1.14 and paired him with Betts in a DC.  That was the first time, ha.  I think Ohtani will be good, but it was just a weird build from that spot.  I may use Ohtani a time or two as a two start pitcher, but overall he'll be the UT.  I didn't really want to waste picks dumpster diving for closers later, so I took Iglesias early at 3.14.  I wanted Will Smith the catcher, but just had other needs to fill.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 12:13 PM, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Always want the first overall pick. I like picking on the corner for back to back picks. Plus I love getting the best overall player. 

In past years, Trout was.

There is no best overall player imo now.

You could make a case for 5 guys.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 3:17 PM, murraygd13 said:

I was thinking spot 6 was ideal for this season.  Still get one of the top tier of Tatis, Bichette, Turner, Soto, Ramirez, Vlad... and then get a better pick coming back the other way.

There is no way Tatis, Soto, Vlad make it to pick 6, unless you're playing with chumps?

On 1/15/2022 at 12:27 AM, exaulz said:

Makes no difference. The early rounds are the least important. The entire draft itself is pretty unimportant imo. 

For me, this depends on the league. In a 15 team competitive league you better come out of the draft with a good foundation. Trying to find waiver guys that make a big difference in these leagues can be difficult, especially if you have limited FAAB budgets. Fastest fingers leagues takes a lot less strategy for drop/adds so I usually stay away from leagues like that. 

On topic - unless there is an obvious top 1 or 2 players, I prefer to be in the middle of the draft. While I don't always react to runs, being in the middle does give me a better opportunity to make adjustments if I think I should. 

• Like 1

I think people look at this the wrong way.  You need to look at the players you'd typically be getting in rounds 3-6 then work up from there.  That will determine where you prefer to draft.  For example, I really like Tim Anderson, who usually goes in mid 3rd of a 15 teamer.  So unless I want to reach in the 2nd, and I may, I want to get picks 1-5.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Probably won't see Tatis or Soto too often, but Vlad is the ADP 6th player coming off the board.  

Yeah in the NFBC Vlad is 6th player off the board by average. The MAX pick for each of them.

Turner 5

Tatis 6

Soto 8

Ramirez 9

Bichette 9

Vlad 12

On 1/15/2022 at 7:36 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

I shouldn't have said never, because I did a few weeks ago at 1.14 and paired him with Betts in a DC.  That was the first time, ha.  I think Ohtani will be good, but it was just a weird build from that spot.  I may use Ohtani a time or two as a two start pitcher, but overall he'll be the UT.  I didn't really want to waste picks dumpster diving for closers later, so I took Iglesias early at 3.14.  I wanted Will Smith the catcher, but just had other needs to fill.  

I almost always have Taylor Rogers, I’ve done 5 so far and might have him in the one I’m about to reference but I took dumpster diving to the extreme. I believe from rounds 41-50 I took 9 relievers and my 4th C who i hope I picked right as the backup to my #1 or 2 C.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turner46 said:

I almost always have Taylor Rogers, I’ve done 5 so far and might have him in the one I’m about to reference but I took dumpster diving to the extreme. I believe from rounds 41-50 I took 9 relievers and my 4th C who i hope I picked right as the backup to my #1 or 2 C.

Rogers in 14

Estevez in 30

Finnegan in 31

Sulser in 32

Shrapnel in 42-49

Stubbs (hoping he’s JTR’s backup)

If i hit on any of the shrapnel in 42-49 look out. Not ideal but how it shaped out I don’t mind.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:28 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

Ohtani is a weird build because he’s going to be your UT.  I’ve never started off with a UT before 

At least 2 people have started with the Angels stack I was intrigued by so I have lost some interest in trying it myself. I thought I was unique.