NBC Sports EDGE Forums

TNF - Dallas vs. New Orleans Game thread

Just now, Bugs bunny said:

Well it’s physics. You stand there and I run into you full speed there’s a good chance the guy not moving is more vulnerable to injury.  Regardless it is risky to put best players back on punt return but the payoff exceeds not doing it.  It’s always pins and needles with a chance to break one. 

It's one (or several) more play they're on the field for, which is a slight bump to injury risk.

But punt returners don't seem to get injured on returns very frequently.  There's the occasional play where one gets blasted, but I'd bet if someone were to calculate the rate of injury it would be similar, possibly lower, than playing at any other position. 

Superficially it would seem to be a play you're more likely to get hurt on, but I don't think the data would show that.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

3 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Well it’s physics. You stand there and I run into you full speed there’s a good chance the guy not moving is more vulnerable to injury.  Regardless it is risky to put best players back on punt return but the payoff exceeds not doing it.  It’s always pins and needles with a chance to break one. 

There’s physics and there’s facts. 
The fact is an injury can occur just as easily on any play. Should WRs not catch passes over the middle? Seems like higher percentage of getting injured. 

2 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

It's one (or several) more play they're on the field for, which is a slight bump to injury risk.

But punt returners don't seem to get injured on returns very frequently.  There's the occasional play where one gets blasted, but I'd bet if someone were to calculate the rate of injury it would be similar, possibly lower, than playing at any other position. 

Superficially it would seem to be a play you're more likely to get hurt on, but I don't think the data would show that.

Yeah I’m not saying there’s more frequency or anything like that I was just answering guy that the player is certainly more vulnerable in general. 

2 minutes ago, beerfish said:

There’s physics and there’s facts. 
The fact is an injury can occur just as easily on any play. Should WRs not catch passes over the middle? Seems like higher percentage of getting injured. 

I can also get injured stepping off a curb. That's not the point. The location of the players and the speed at which collisions happen on punt returns makes it more likely for a player to get more seriously injured than a regular play. It's an unnecessary risk for your #1 player when punt returner is less of a skill position.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The G Man said:

Was just wondering how high he will go in drafts next year.

Adams, Hill, Diggs, Jefferson, Deebo, Kupp go ahead of him, with Chase a maybe.  No other WRs I can think of just off the top of my head right now.  I'd say he probably goes in about the same range as he did this year?

1 minute ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Adams, Hill, Diggs, Jefferson, Deebo, Kupp go ahead of him, with Chase a maybe.  No other WRs I can think of just off the top of my head right now.  I'd say he probably goes in about the same range as he did this year?

You could slot him ahead of Diggs if you wanted to, but still think he has to go behind Adams, Hill, Deebo, and Kupp.

7 minutes ago, Deke said:

I can also get injured stepping off a curb. That's not the point. The location of the players and the speed at which collisions happen on punt returns makes it more likely for a player to get more seriously injured than a regular play. It's an unnecessary risk for your #1 player when punt returner is less of a skill position.

In theory yes, in reality no.