NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2022 Boston Red Sox Outlook

Just started this for the heck of it and to say the Red Sox picked up their options on Alex Cora through 2024 which is probably their best move for this season for sure.  Cora just knows how to get the best out of players.  Below are my opinions only.

Line-up for 2022?

• C - Christian Vesquez with maybe Kevin Plawecki re-signed or Connor Wong as back-up.  Wong is a hitting catcher who can play other positions and came up a few games last season due to injuries.  He is the third player with Downs and Verdugo they got back from the Dodgers in the Mookie trade and could get his chance as a back-up this season.
  • 1B - Bobby Dalbec for now unless they manage to re-sign Schwarber then mix and match.  Triston Casas awaits in the wings with a Ortiz-like bat but hands of concrete for fielding.  With JD taking his last year option neither Casas nor a possibly re-signed Schwarber could be the full time DH until 2023 so if Casas is called up 1B is his only option in 2022 barring injuries.  Speaking of injuries -- please God no -- Dalbec is the 3B back-up to Devers having come up though the minors playing that position and filling in at 3B a few games this past year when Devers was rested.
  • 2B - Right now Kike Hernanadez would be best though the Sox are thinking more CF right now for him.  Jeter Downs had a down year in the minors but still could he the future.  Sox are actually looking at Javier Baez which I think would be a waste of money when they need pitching instead.  They like Christian Arroyo at 2B but I think Arroyo is utility at best personally.  I'm not as impressed with him.  Very young Marcelo Mayer, a SS (but Xander has some years left), was taken in the rookie draft and could rocket through the minors for at least a cup of coffee at 2B late in the season.  Long shot this year but weird things can happen.
  • 3B - Raffy Devers forevah or for until he turns free agent down the line.
  • SS - Xander Bogaerts forevah too and he still has some years left on his multi-year contract.  He and Devers give the Sox one of the best left sides of the infield in baseball.
  • LF - Alex Verdugo though if they re-sign Schwarber he and JD might grab some time there too because DH would be "crowded" at that point.
  • CF - Kike is the CF on paper right now with Arroyo at 2B but Arroyo really isn't an everyday player in my book.  Kike has one year left on his contract so they will need to do something in CF unless they re-sign him for 2023 or move him to 2B.  Though Jarren Duran didn't look good on his first call-up he still should become the long time CF sooner than later.  They need his speed in an otherwise slow-footed line-up.
  • RF - Hunter Renfroe if they can keep him.  He had a major break-out year both hitting and playing RF but I forget if he is a FA this year or not.  I think he might be.

Pitching?

• Chris Sale should be the man again once he gets his change-up back.
  • Nathan Eovaldi and his many many strike-outs.
  • Tanner Houck and his amazing slider was semi-starting last season and should slide into the full time category this year.
  • Nick Pivetta is the pitcher both the Phillies and Red Sox have tried to "fix" to synch him into his "potential" in a steady way instead of good boy/bad boy Pivetta.  Whether they can or not he is signed for a few more years so he will be in the rotation to start the season.
  • Garrett Whitlock was talked about all last year as being a future starter and was only in the pen because he was coming off of his major injury and they wanted to limit his innings.  BUT he has been dynamite in relief so if the Sox spend big time on starters he could end up in the Closer role instead.

And that is it for the respectable side of Red Sox pitching.  Can Barnes regain his mojo?  A couple of semi-okay other relievers like most teams trot out and hope for the best.  Ottavino was a massive bust post All Star break.  Garrett Richards stunk as a starter but actually did pretty well when moved to the bullpen so will they try and re-sign him in that role? 

E-Rod is gone which is for the better in my opinion.  He has shown some signs of decline since his heart condition that covid caused and has been a yo-yo (up/down) pitcher for several years anyway.  Meanwhile the rumor mill has them looking hard at Matz in the free agent market but so are other teams.  They need a Matz type and at least one lower tier free agent to take a chance on and/or have in reserve too.  And, of course, relievers.  Always relievers.

Last season they really overachieved in what was suppose to be the first of a couple of "bridge" years.  This season they can actually contend but in what may be the strongest division in baseball aside from the poor, besotted Orioles.  Whatever happens they are a fun team to watch again for us Sox fans.  Good job so far, Alex Cora and Chaim Bloom.  Keep it up please.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Just started this for the heck of it and to say the Red Sox picked up their options on Alex Cora through 2024 which is probably their best move for this season for sure.  Cora just knows how to get the best out of players.  Below are my opinions only.

Line-up for 2022?

• C - Christian Vesquez with maybe Kevin Plawecki re-signed or Connor Wong as back-up.  Wong is a hitting catcher who can play other positions and came up a few games last season due to injuries.  He is the third player with Downs and Verdugo they got back from the Dodgers in the Mookie trade and could get his chance as a back-up this season.
  • 1B - Bobby Dalbec for now unless they manage to re-sign Schwarber then mix and match.  Triston Casas awaits in the wings with a Ortiz-like bat but hands of concrete for fielding.  With JD taking his last year option neither Casas nor a possibly re-signed Schwarber could be the full time DH until 2023 so if Casas is called up 1B is his only option in 2022 barring injuries.  Speaking of injuries -- please God no -- Dalbec is the 3B back-up to Devers having come up though the minors playing that position and filling in at 3B a few games this past year when Devers was rested.
  • 2B - Right now Kike Hernanadez would be best though the Sox are thinking more CF right now for him.  Jeter Downs had a down year in the minors but still could he the future.  Sox are actually looking at Javier Baez which I think would be a waste of money when they need pitching instead.  They like Christian Arroyo at 2B but I think Arroyo is utility at best personally.  I'm not as impressed with him.  Very young Marcelo Mayer, a SS (but Xander has some years left), was taken in the rookie draft and could rocket through the minors for at least a cup of coffee at 2B late in the season.  Long shot this year but weird things can happen.
  • 3B - Raffy Devers forevah or for until he turns free agent down the line.
  • SS - Xander Bogaerts forevah too and he still has some years left on his multi-year contract.  He and Devers give the Sox one of the best left sides of the infield in baseball.
  • LF - Alex Verdugo though if they re-sign Schwarber he and JD might grab some time there too because DH would be "crowded" at that point.
  • CF - Kike is the CF on paper right now with Arroyo at 2B but Arroyo really isn't an everyday player in my book.  Kike has one year left on his contract so they will need to do something in CF unless they re-sign him for 2023 or move him to 2B.  Though Jarren Duran didn't look good on his first call-up he still should become the long time CF sooner than later.  They need his speed in an otherwise slow-footed line-up.
  • RF - Hunter Renfroe if they can keep him.  He had a major break-out year both hitting and playing RF but I forget if he is a FA this year or not.  I think he might be.

Pitching?

• Chris Sale should be the man again once he gets his change-up back.
  • Nathan Eovaldi and his many many strike-outs.
  • Tanner Houck and his amazing slider was semi-starting last season and should slide into the full time category this year.
  • Nick Pivetta is the pitcher both the Phillies and Red Sox have tried to "fix" to synch him into his "potential" in a steady way instead of good boy/bad boy Pivetta.  Whether they can or not he is signed for a few more years so he will be in the rotation to start the season.
  • Garrett Whitlock was talked about all last year as being a future starter and was only in the pen because he was coming off of his major injury and they wanted to limit his innings.  BUT he has been dynamite in relief so if the Sox spend big time on starters he could end up in the Closer role instead.

And that is it for the respectable side of Red Sox pitching.  Can Barnes regain his mojo?  A couple of semi-okay other relievers like most teams trot out and hope for the best.  Ottavino was a massive bust post All Star break.  Garrett Richards stunk as a starter but actually did pretty well when moved to the bullpen so will they try and re-sign him in that role? 

E-Rod is gone which is for the better in my opinion.  He has shown some signs of decline since his heart condition that covid caused and has been a yo-yo (up/down) pitcher for several years anyway.  Meanwhile the rumor mill has them looking hard at Matz in the free agent market but so are other teams.  They need a Matz type and at least one lower tier free agent to take a chance on and/or have in reserve too.  And, of course, relievers.  Always relievers.

Last season they really overachieved in what was suppose to be the first of a couple of "bridge" years.  This season they can actually contend but in what may be the strongest division in baseball aside from the poor, besotted Orioles.  Whatever happens they are a fun team to watch again for us Sox fans.  Good job so far, Alex Cora and Chaim Bloom.  Keep it up please.

RedSox will be mediocre next year, I highly doubt they will come close to 2021 season they just have no reliable pitching even sale is washed.

1 hour ago, straightfire118 said:

RedSox will be mediocre next year, I highly doubt they will come close to 2021 season they just have no reliable pitching even sale is washed.

How is Sale washed?  His change-up was a little rusty when he came back on the fly so that means he is washed up?  That was pretty funny.  Thanks for the good laugh.

Also Nathan Eovaldi is for real and Tanner Houck is a good young pitcher.  Whitlock too.  A couple of good FA signings of pitchers and yes they will seriously contend in 2022.

that division is crazy good. Toronto, Yankees, Rays are all legitimate contenders. Red Sox have to get better to not finish last even if last is 85 wins. I see no way Schwarber is back. With no draft pick tied to him he can sign anywhere and the Sox have bigger needs. Casas is ready now so he needs to be up soon as feasible. The Sox need a real ace and not just filler starters. They really need a Sale type in his prime. All new relievers would be a "relief" also. My gut tells me their big get will be gausman and they will live and die on his season.

1 hour ago, hailfire4 said:

that division is crazy good. Toronto, Yankees, Rays are all legitimate contenders. Red Sox have to get better to not finish last even if last is 85 wins. I see no way Schwarber is back. With no draft pick tied to him he can sign anywhere and the Sox have bigger needs. Casas is ready now so he needs to be up soon as feasible. The Sox need a real ace and not just filler starters. They really need a Sale type in his prime. All new relievers would be a "relief" also. My gut tells me their big get will be gausman and they will live and die on his season.

They have a Sale type in his prime.  His name is Sale.  Also no way do they finish behind the O's.  And even Casas says he isn't ready yet and still needs to learn more.  Their offense is good enough without him for now and Dalbec looked legit the last 2 months of the season so no rush with Casas.

9 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

I don't disagree that the Sox are primed for a disappointing year (they overachieved in 2021) but saying there is even a chance they finish behind the Orioles kills your credibility.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

How is Sale washed?  His change-up was a little rusty when he came back on the fly so that means he is washed up?  That was pretty funny.  Thanks for the good laugh.

Also Nathan Eovaldi is for real and Tanner Houck is a good young pitcher.  Whitlock too.  A couple of good FA signings of pitchers and yes they will seriously contend in 2022.

How is Sale washed? Just look at his 3 postseason starts this year, they were all atrocious. Id bet money that they wont seriously contend, not with the Jays in their prime, and the Yankees and Rays still competing. Eovaldi has always supposedly had good stuff but just never lives up to expectations. They would need multiple high end FA to compete.

4 hours ago, straightfire118 said:

How is Sale washed? Just look at his 3 postseason starts this year, they were all atrocious. Id bet money that they wont seriously contend, not with the Jays in their prime, and the Yankees and Rays still competing. Eovaldi has always supposedly had good stuff but just never lives up to expectations. They would need multiple high end FA to compete.

Really?  You didn't know Sale was returning from TJ and was not 100% last season which everyone knew.  Those starts were from a person who was at about 60% or what he will be in the spring.  But I guess you don't know how TJ pitchers come back.  It isn't until about 2 years from the surgery that they are 100% again.  Also Eovaldi is living up to expectations just fine thank you.  But I guess you don't think 13 QS with a 1.19 WHIP and 195 K's is chop liver.  I see an even playing field among the four teams but only if the Yankees splurge big time as usual that is.  NY is the team that needs fixing fast.

3 hours ago, PoundMyBeef said:

With the loss of E.Rod the whole Boston Red Sox team is washed ... It's not with Alex Verdugo tiger king clothing style that they are trending up

If by "washed" they are made clean of Mr Yo-Yo Up and Down Frustrating to Watch E-Rod and can sign someone better then I agree.  😀

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If by "washed" they are made clean of Mr Yo-Yo Up and Down Frustrating to Watch E-Rod and can sign someone better then I agree.  😀

They will probably sign Marcus Stroman who is the dollar store version of Pedro Martinez

Sale will be just fine.

I'm ok with Wacha, no worries on that deal at all.  Stroman, if he comes....could go either way. 

Losing ERod.  Meh.  Frankly, I'm just glad I don't have to watch him go 4 good innings then 1/3 of disastrous baseball.  Plus, his starts take like 7 hours.

Agree with Renfroe- if they can keep him he's a priority for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

Sale will be just fine.

I'm ok with Wacha, no worries on that deal at all.  Stroman, if he comes....could go either way. 

Losing ERod.  Meh.  Frankly, I'm just glad I don't have to watch him go 4 good innings then 1/3 of disastrous baseball.  Plus, his starts take like 7 hours.

Agree with Renfroe- if they can keep him he's a priority for me.

We think alike.  And yeah it was absolutely painful to watch E-Rod on the mound get up 0-2 and then nibble and nibble and walk another guy.  He did that endlessly taking a decade between each pitch in the process.  Then when he walked enough batters it was ka-boom ka-boom time as he blew the game up.  Detroit, have fun with him.  Glad I don't have to watch him in the rotation any more.

And yeah I want Renfroe back in RF.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

We think alike.  And yeah it was absolutely painful to watch E-Rod on the mound get up 0-2 and then nibble and nibble and walk another guy.  He did that endlessly taking a decade between each pitch in the process.  Then when he walked enough batters it was ka-boom ka-boom time as he blew the game up.  Detroit, have fun with him.  Glad I don't have to watch him in the rotation any more.

And yeah I want Renfroe back in RF.

My problem with him exactly.  Dude has legit front of the rotation stuff for 2/3 of his start then decides he wants to nibble.  Then will load the bases on 3-2 walks to th 7-9 batters.  then strike out the side on 3-2 counts facing the 1-3 hitters of a lineup.  Sounds great!  He's out of the jam!  Until the next inning when he does the same thing.

I'm beginning to get very frustrated about their lack of moves over the last couple of seasons.  While I certainly get their need to get and stay under the luxury tax threshold, they still can do so with other moves.  Notably-their disastrous bullpen.

Let me backtrack just slightly.  My biggest priority would be upgrade their bullpen.  Then Renfroe.  Then another starter.

• Like 1

Well in a really strange move to me anyway this happened minutes before the lockdown:

Brewers acquired OF Hunter Renfroe from the Red Sox for OF Jackie Bradley Jr. and INF's Alex Binelas and David Hamilton.

This is an absolute stunner just a few hours before the league is expected to enter its first work stoppage since 1994. The 29-year-old outfielder launched 31 round-trippers across 572 plate appearances with the Red Sox last season and will provide a much-needed upgrade for the Brewers' lineup in right field. It's a fantastic landing spot for a power hitter and Renfroe should thrive in Milwaukee.

Dec 1, 2021, 11:38 PM ET

I don't know anything about the prospects and though JBJ has provided a reel of great plays in centerfield in the past it is still in the past and he is getting older.  And no way can he hit 31 homers like Renfroe did last year.  I just don't get it.  I really did like Renfroe and he was good in right field as well with a canon for an arm.  He did seem to fade the last month of the season so does the Boston front office know something we don't?  I definitely want to see what Bloom says about this move anyway.  He will be missed.

Meanwhile in the 1 year contract stuff senior citizen Rich Hill and oft-injured James Paxton were signed.  I think Hill can contribute a little at the end of the rotation.  Paxton is the gambler's dice roll but 1 year for what must be pretty cheap guess we will see.  All these signings looking like a one year hold the fort until the youngsters arrive type of deal.

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well in a really strange move to me anyway this happened minutes before the lockdown:

I don't know anything about the prospects and though JBJ has provided a reel of great plays in centerfield in the past it is still in the past and he is getting older.  And no way can he hit 31 homers like Renfroe did last year.  I just don't get it.  I really did like Renfroe and he was good in right field as well with a canon for an arm.  He did seem to fade the last month of the season so does the Boston front office know something we don't?  I definitely want to see what Bloom says about this move anyway.  He will be missed.

Meanwhile in the 1 year contract stuff senior citizen Rich Hill and oft-injured James Paxton were signed.  I think Hill can contribute a little at the end of the rotation.  Paxton is the gambler's dice roll but 1 year for what must be pretty cheap guess we will see.  All these signings looking like a one year hold the fort until the youngsters arrive type of deal.

Overall I don't love the deal, but I also don't know enough about these prospects.     Trying to see it through the lens of Bloom, perhaps this solves the second base problem.   I don't think anyone believed Arroyo was a good year-long solution at 2B.   So we move Bradley to CF and Kike to 2B in a permanent manner.     The cost between Renfroe and JBJ is negligible over the next year or two, so the move was "affordable" in nature.     Do I love it?  No not really, it will all depend on the outcome of these prospects.

Or maybe they just think Renfroe overachieved? 

Let me preface this by saying I am a huge Red Sox fan...it's a family tradition and the only one of my sports teams that I didn't choose, but what chosen for me.

It's personal.

That being said, I must ask, how does Bloom think we can win games with 8 bats and 2.5 (generous) arms out of five?

Eovaldi, Houck, and Sale in name only (I am veryyyy worried about him) (Pivetta should be in the pen as well)

Paxton, Wacha and Hill won't last a season either with injury or performance...fact...

These signings, this offseason, so far, have been terrible at best, washed up wastes of money.

JBJ trade, abysmal; he batted .161 and although I will be eternally grateful for 2018, I was relieved when we let him walk. Maybe the two prospects return dividends but man, being so close last year, if we have baseball, why would Bloom decide to walk backward.

Seager got 300+ mill

A combination of Mad Max, Semien and Gausman/ Ray would have cost that much...

Why did Bloom not bolster the rotation/lineup after losing ERod etc. and go after it...why is he choosing to torture us?

Is he a spy for the Rays that got unlucky by happening upon success last year? I am half kidding, but it sure feels like something rotten is in the state of Red Sox Nation... hopefully he reads this lol and changes his ways when allowed to by the MLB.

I digress...along with my hopes, if the Sox continue in this direction...

P.S. Please get Freddy Freeman and make it up to us...

Edited by dfstout