NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Stupid Conversations About Football

JE7HorseGod

I gotta shake my head every hour I listen to sports radio I hear guys who sound anywhere between 28 and 55 years old who are presumably average american sized soft-bodied phone jockeys referring to any random 6'3" 250 lb beasted up 25 year old man as a "kid".  Huh?   These are the same people that lament about how coddled millenials are.  Can't have it both ways.  Oh wait, I guess we can.

4 hours ago, rocklandrew said:

I gotta shake my head every hour I listen to sports radio I hear guys who sound anywhere between 28 and 55 years old who are presumably average american sized soft-bodied phone jockeys referring to any random 6'3" 250 lb beasted up 25 year old man as a "kid".  Huh?   These are the same people that lament about how coddled millenials are.  Can't have it both ways.  Oh wait, I guess we can.

So if a guy has freak genetics and is developing early making him 6 2 and 200 at 14 he isn’t a kid anymore?

I wouldn’t consider a 25 year old a kid regardless but their size also doesn’t make them not kids. It usually refers to maturity more than anything else. 

All these athletes, regardless of size, are long past being regarded as men by the legal system, and have been through three or four years of a college education.  I find it patronizing to hear them referred to as "kids."  Kinda like calling a man "boy".   Just part of everyday language now, though.  The other thing that drives me crazy listening to sports radio is that in the last few years I hear hosts, coaches, analysts, callers, nearly everybody y'know, saying y'know every y'know 5 or 10 y'know seconds.  No, I don't know!

But to be more on topic, an example of a "stupid football conversation" that I heard on WEEI out of Boston last week was Lou Merloni saying that Mac Jones had "temporary insanity" when he twisted that Panthers players leg, because that hit he'd just taken had slobber-knockered him and he probably didn't even know where he was.  Merloni is so biased that if Cora was caught in the Red Sox dugout holding a trash-can lid he'd say in all seriousness that he was serving the team a platter of snacks on it, what's the big deal?   Someone oughta check Merlonis brain for spidertack 'cause his spin rate is otherworldy.  Anybody who doesn't live in the northeast should be thankful that their ether isn't polluted by the litany of sports radio apologists filling up the airwaves with their completely subjective takes.  That includes the Red Sox broadcast team (except for Castiglione) who present us all summer long with a nightly bed-time story of the virginal Little Red Sox Riding Hood.  Unlistenable to someone like me who just wants to hear a game called and not be transported to syrupy sweet Red Sox la la land.  Glad the old truck I  got has a cranking tape deck so I'm not compelled to turn on the radio much anymore.  Rant over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocklandrew said:

All these athletes, regardless of size, are long past being regarded as men by the legal system, and have been through three or four years of a college education.  I find it patronizing to hear them referred to as "kids."  Kinda like calling a man "boy".   Just part of everyday language now, though.  The other thing that drives me crazy listening to sports radio is that in the last few years I hear hosts, coaches, analysts, callers, nearly everybody y'know, saying y'know every y'know 5 or 10 y'know seconds.  No, I don't know!

But to be more on topic, an example of a "stupid football conversation" that I heard on WEEI out of Boston last week was Lou Merloni saying that Mac Jones had "temporary insanity" when he twisted that Panthers players leg, because that hit he'd just taken had slobber-knockered him and he probably didn't even know where he was.  Merloni is so biased that if Cora was caught in the Red Sox dugout holding a trash-can lid he'd say in all seriousness that he was serving the team a platter of snacks on it, what's the big deal?   Someone oughta check Merlonis brain for spidertack 'cause his spin rate is otherworldy.  Anybody who doesn't live in the northeast should be thankful that their ether isn't polluted by the litany of sports radio apologists filling up the airwaves with their completely subjective takes.  That includes the Red Sox broadcast team (except for Castiglione) who present us all summer long with a nightly bed-time story of the virginal Little Red Sox Riding Hood.  Unlistenable to someone like me who just wants to hear a game called and not be transported to syrupy sweet Red Sox la la land.  Glad the old truck I  got has a cranking tape deck so I'm not compelled to turn on the radio much anymore.  Rant over.

"I don't know how anyone can listen to this trash!"

Says the guy who just recounted all sorts of stories about said trash, proving he listens to that trash. 

News flash; Merloni doesn't care if you agree, or like him, only that you tune the radio to his station. He gets paid just as much if his listeners hate him.

Another one I'm going to toss in here, and one that comes up often on this board: RB X should be playing over RB Y because he "looks more explosive."  Often people are just box score reading and looking at YPC or notice a long run.  Often the "explosive" guy is a scatback who makes a living on 8 yard runs against the dime on 3rd and 14, etc.  Just as often he lacks the size to be a lead back or has some other deficiency (pass pro, fumbler) holding him back.

Sometimes the "more explosive" guy is actually better. This happens most often when the lead back is a former star who is just washed. The CJ2K-David Johnson season for instance.  But usually, the "explosive" guy plays behind the lead back because the coaches know what they're doing.