NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Stupid Conversations About Football

JE7HorseGod

What are some bad conversations about football you hear a lot that you could do without ever hearing again?

I for one wouldn't miss if I never heard conversations about who is "overrated" or "underrated" ever again.  What do people get out of this?  A completely unquantifable perception of a meta opinion that doesn't align with their individual opinion meaning nothing.

Debates about who is "the GOAT."  Ugh.

Let's make a top five list of the teams in the middle of September and then debate how we have them ranked for 20 minutes, knowing full well these lists are meaningless and we'll have a completely different list in a month.

95% of sports talk radio and television content is devoted towards this kind of inane garbage.  I just want to see some film breakdown of how the Chiefs are attacking the cover 2 shell defenses they've played in the past couple months.  I really don't care that Jaxon Waxon Flaxon, retired NFL cornerback now has Patrick Mahomes on his "top five most overrated quarterbacks list."

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 7

Draft time has a lot of this.  Fans are usually mad that their team passed on a skill position player, often from a huge program, just because the fans know the player's name.  Fans are going to know the names of the QB, RB, and WRs from Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Notre Dame, etc. because they are on TV every week, playing for the national title, whatever.  Fans never know much of anything about the defensive players or offensive linemen.  They just don't get that kind of publicity.  So when a team that "needs" a WR takes an offensive guard over whoever flashed in the CFB playoff last year, they get upset, when in reality they have no way of knowing if that was a good move or not because they never heard of "that lineman from Miami (Ohio)."

• Like 3

People throwing out "hot/cold" takes just to get hits. I understand the business is all about hits and views but stirring up crap just because gets to me. It is a fine line of providing worthwhile info that might be different and just tossing stuff out there randomly to stir the pot - I can do without that.

This can be said for any media types. I unfollow and stop listening to any of these types whether it is sports or other content. 

• Like 1

Fantasy football has not only changed the way the game is packaged and sold to us but also my NFL experience as a fan. I kinda miss enjoying the game without worrying about how many targets some bum TE is getting in an otherwise meaningless game. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

What are some bad conversations about football you hear a lot that you could do without ever hearing again?

I for one wouldn't miss if I never heard conversations about who is "overrated" or "underrated" ever again.  What do people get out of this?  A completely unquantifable perception of a meta opinion that doesn't align with their individual opinion meaning nothing.

Debates about who is "the GOAT."  Ugh.

Let's make a top five list of the teams in the middle of September and then debate how we have them ranked for 20 minutes, knowing full well these lists are meaningless and we'll have a completely different list in a month.

95% of sports talk radio and television content is devoted towards this kind of inane garbage.  I just want to see some film breakdown of how the Chiefs are attacking the cover 2 shell defenses they've played in the past couple months.  I really don't care that Jaxon Waxon Flaxon, retired NFL cornerback now has Patrick Mahomes on his "top five most overrated quarterbacks list."

dude...this is why sports radio and podcasts are so popular.  You can say the same thing about politics, music, etc.

48 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

95% of sports talk radio and television content is devoted towards this kind of inane garbage

I have yet to meet anyone who has admitted they actually like, watch or never miss those types of shows so I am fairly convinced that the "ratings" they get are largely due to places that have TV's and they throw on ESPN 24/7 for background noise.  Like gym's for example.  Or if I am actually watching a game at night and then go to bed, it stays on that channel for the next day, which counts towards that show even through I don't watch it.  How anyone could consistently watch that "lets make up something and debate about it for 20 min" garbage is beyond me.  

For a Football conversation I would like to never hear again... Basically anything to do with College Football Rankings or playoffs.  Its so biased and unfair I don't even care anymore.   Even with the 4 team playoff its still a crapshoot as to how they decide who gets in.  And by crapshoot I mean its doing anything they can to get two SEC teams in so we can watch the SEC championship game, the rematch of the SEC Championship Game and then an SEC team into the final.  No matter how many teams they end up expanding it too they're just going to fill the extra spots with SEC teams, Ohio State or Notre Dame. 

The fact that UCF went undefeated in 2017 and still didn't get a shot and then torched Auburn in their bowl game was enough for me to be done with it.  Like what more did they need to do?  The  whole point of expanding into a bigger playoff was to give a team like that a shot.  Same things going to happen to CIN this year, they will find a way to exclude them even if they go undefeated.  When Georgia plays Alabama in the SEC championship game this year, whoever loses will go to 3, not 4 so they have a chance to meet again in the Championship. I don't care if they are the two best teams in the country, If you can't win your conference then you should not be able to compete for a National Championship in this current system. Rant over. 

Edited by Flynfiesta6
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, fingers said:

Fantasy football has not only changed the way the game is packaged and sold to us but also my NFL experience as a fan. I kinda miss enjoying the game without worrying about how many targets some bum TE is getting in an otherwise meaningless game. 

to me, it's the exact opposite ... i wouldn't give this sport one effin' millisecond of my time if i couldn't gamble on it, and, yes - my magick foosball leegs are gambling endeavors. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fingers said:

Same.

But the types of conversations I'm talking about existed long before fantasy football became digitized and was still a nerdy thing that some people did by hand with box scores in newspapers.

3 minutes ago, fingers said:

I wouldn't even watch football if not for fantasy other than the Seahawks. Considering they're a dumpster fire I don't think I would turn on the TV for a single game the rest of the year. Much rather watch NBA or MLB just to watch.

Try to suck out as much commercials as they possibly can. I can just hear the NFL salivating when a team scores 5 seconds before the two minute warning because they can get 20 minutes of commercials in for 5 seconds of game play. 

I don't care if it's tinfoil or not these sport betting contracts give me a weird feeling. So much flat out awful calls almost every game skewing results. 

The product is just garbage overall. The new taunting rule is the worst rule out of any major sport. Pass interference, late hits, and almost every other call is beyond subjective. It's absurd. Which goes back to the above point. They can call it however the hell they want and TECHNICALLY it will fall within the rules.

I could be gatekeeping here a bit.  This is just my opinion and that and a buck 80 will buy me a cup of coffee. 

But the truth is, I am interested in some detailed analysis with the aid of some film of how a team's offensive line should plan to handle a defensive line with a skilled defensive tackle that uses a lot of exotic stunts and I totally wouldn't mind if you took all that other cr@p away. 

I want sports related discourse to rise to that level a little more frequently and not force us nerds into the lowest common denominator quite so much.  Not all the time, I know that's not reasonable.  But maybe like, 10% more often.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

Just now, cashvillesent said:

The dumbest arguments is the run setting up the Play action....

For example in a titans board ppl think that you dont need a good running game to have a successful PA game...

And another one is, no matter who the RB is on the backfield defense do not "bite" as hard.

Tannehill is just being exposed as a fraud and you're mad. 

• Haha 4

Any topic is fine, as long as the level of discourse and analysis is high enough. 

What I can't stand is when sports talk is the intellectual equivalent of a couple of drunks at the bar. 

If you want to say player/team X is overrated or underrated, back it up with statistics, data, and empirical evidence. None of this, "Bro, the Cowboys are so overrated, I don't trust that team. They always blow it... I like the Titans, they've just looked good to me lately..." 

That kind of empty talk makes my ears bleed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Tannehill is just being exposed as a fraud and you're mad. 

Off topic, but it's not Tannehill. It's the coaching. They have the most vanilla passing offense I've seen in a decade. There are no interesting route concepts. There's no in depth scheming. It's just boring simple routes. If I know what's coming, the defense sure as hell does. They aren't even trying to fool anyone. That passing attack is essentially the anti-McVay. 

4 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Off topic, but it's not Tannehill. It's the coaching. They have the most vanilla passing offense I've seen in a decade. There are no interesting route concepts. There's no in depth scheming. It's just boring simple routes. If I know what's coming, the defense sure as hell does. They aren't even trying to fool anyone. That passing attack is essentially the anti-McVay. 

He's been a flat out JAG his entire career outside of having the best RB of the decade taking away all the attention.

Also coaching and scheme doesn't make you throw 4 INTs against arguably the worst team in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

The Giants and Jason Garrett have entered the chat, holding out hope for tonight. 

Just now, Gohawks said:

He's been a flat out JAG his entire career outside of having the best RB of the decade taking away all the attention.

Also coaching and scheme doesn't make you throw 4 INTs against arguably the worst team in the NFL. 

When you're losing and no one is schemed to get open, you still have to throw the ball. That's one way interceptions happen. I don't think Tanny is the second coming, but I thought he was serviceable on some bad Miami teams, and he played very well for basically two whole seasons in Tennessee. We've seen plenty of terrible QBs play with great RBs, so I don't think it's fair to attribute all of his passing success to Derrick Henry. 

17 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I used to love Edge NFL Matchup, did anyone else watch that show?

But tell me why it had to come on at 1:30 in the morning after 10 replays of SportsCenter.

Sigh.

Is that the show that Jaws hosted? He was great at breaking down Xs and Os. 

I think a lot of these shows just have too much time to fill and not enough content. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaquonBarkley said:

The Giants and Jason Garrett have entered the chat, holding out hope for tonight. 

I mostly just don't think Jones is particularly good. Garrett isn't an brilliant innovator, but he's not stuck in the stone ages either, IMO.