Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

LeBron James 2021-2022 Outlook


Gile Pile
 Share

Recommended Posts

Couldn't find a thread, so here we go:

I know numbers will be there when he plays.  He was  36th in per game value in 9 cat league.  But, he is also 96th in total value (only 45 games played).

What I don't know  how serious are injury/rest concerns this year. We are in week 3,  he did not have deep playoff run last year and he is already out for a week.

LBJ owners are shopping him heavily in some of my leagues and  I am on the fence of accepting their offer.

Is  LBJ  the new Kawhi when it comes to rest management?   How many games do you think he will miss because of rest?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ha I couldn't find the thread yesterday and almost started it. he was a DND for myself and I would not accept any offers for him. I get the feeling he's going to play 55-60 games at most and might even be sitting (if Lakers are either eliminated or locked into a seed) during the critical weeks down the stretch. just my 2 cents he's obviously still a fantasy asset when healthy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is exactly the problem: When LBJ plays he is good,  but it seems that age is finally catching up with more frequent injuries.

I am also leaning toward rejecting the offer, I don't see him playing more than 65 games in the best case sceanrio

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, laurilegend said:

ha I couldn't find the thread yesterday and almost started it. he was a DND for myself and I would not accept any offers for him. I get the feeling he's going to play 55-60 games at most and might even be sitting (if Lakers are either eliminated or locked into a seed) during the critical weeks down the stretch. just my 2 cents he's obviously still a fantasy asset when healthy.

no way they lock up the top 6 seed with the current state of the team…for that to even be a possibility, AD & Bron need to play atleast 70 games

Edited by L3onD
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, L3onD said:

no way they lock up the top 6 seed with the current state of the team…for that to even be a possibility, AD & Bron need to play atleast 70 games

Yeah they lost to OKC twice and had to go all-out to beat the friggin' Rockets. This team is not very good. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, laurilegend said:

Oh I agree. There is also a risk they just suck, aren't even in a position to make the play in round and he's rested all of the spring.

I don't think being in a position of not even making play in is really a risk unless theres a serious injury to AD. The Lakers will be in the mix. Keep in mind they still have bodies coming back plus are trying to integrate about 9 new guys to their roster.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do we feel about LBJ age?

After joining Lakers he has missed lots of games, except for the 2019/2020 season. And I consider that season an anomaly because there was  huge rest period between the regular season end and start of the bubble.Essentially  two short season with 3 months break

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

How do we feel about LBJ age?

After joining Lakers he has missed lots of games, except for the 2019/2020 season. And I consider that season an anomaly because there was  huge rest period between the regular season end and start of the bubble.Essentially  two short season with 3 months break

I think father time is undefeated and he's nearing the end of his career. All the new stuff he's doing, it's already helped him play late into his 30s at a level really unprecedented in the NBA but it's just going to get worse and worse. These minor injuries are going to slow him when he does play and keep him off the court more and more as recovery times for an aging body get longer.

I'm bearish on the Lakers. I think their roster is bad, AD isn't an alpha and Lebron is nearing the end of his reign as a top 5 player. If he plays, maybe he's still top 5, but he's going to play less and less. I think this latest injury update  of "a week or so" is stupidly vague. If I was going to bet, I'd see he's out at least two weeks is probably closer to 4. 

We'll see what happens. Nobody can predict the future accurately but this is a message board and we make predictions all the time otherwise it's boring so that's my prediction.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, laurilegend said:

We'll see what happens. Nobody can predict the future accurately but this is a message board and we make predictions all the time otherwise it's boring so that's my prediction.

My crystal ball tells me that LBJ will play 62 games.  In my opinion he is  not worth giving any reliable  fantasy contributors, so I  rejected both  offers moments ago (one was LBJ for Grant and TJ McConnel; the other was for Trent Jr and Vassell).

Edit: Just read this article and I am glad LBJ is not on my team

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/can-lebron-james-and-really-flawed-lakers-shake-off-concerns-nba-insiders-weigh-in-on-disappointing-start/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

My crystal ball tells me that LBJ will play 62 games.  In my opinion he is  not worth giving any reliable  fantasy contributors, so I  rejected both  offers moments ago (one was LBJ for Grant and TJ McConnel; the other was for Trent Jr and Vassell).

Edit: Just read this article and I am glad LBJ is not on my team

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/can-lebron-james-and-really-flawed-lakers-shake-off-concerns-nba-insiders-weigh-in-on-disappointing-start/

Interesting I would've taken both offers. The 2nd one for sure. 62 games of LBJ is better than everyone you listed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DezedandConfused said:

Interesting I would've taken both offers. The 2nd one for sure. 62 games of LBJ is better than everyone you listed.

That is IF LBJ plays  62 games (big if imo). I am sure that Trent Jr and Vassell play more than 62 games combined. Difference in productivity  is not that significant:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

That is IF LBJ plays  62 games (big if imo). I am sure that Trent Jr and Vassell play more than 62 games combined. Difference in productivity  is not that significant:

 

Is there supposed to be an image displayed?  

I’s definitely give up GTJ & Vassell for Bron, if for no other reason than to stash him now and flip him later when he’s on a decent run.  Assuming he can string a few weeks of games together, somebody in your league will probably give up something good once he’s back to health.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 80version said:

Is there supposed to be an image displayed?  

I’s definitely give up GTJ & Vassell for Bron, if for no other reason than to stash him now and flip him later when he’s on a decent run.  Assuming he can string a few weeks of games together, somebody in your league will probably give up something good once he’s back to health.  

image vent missing :(  

I doubt that in any competitive league LBJ trade can return something good.   Btw, about Trent Jr - steals leader in the NBA at the moment. I am really high about his ROS outlook

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, laurilegend said:

I think father time is undefeated and he's nearing the end of his career. All the new stuff he's doing, it's already helped him play late into his 30s at a level really unprecedented in the NBA but it's just going to get worse and worse. These minor injuries are going to slow him when he does play and keep him off the court more and more as recovery times for an aging body get longer.

I'm bearish on the Lakers. I think their roster is bad, AD isn't an alpha and Lebron is nearing the end of his reign as a top 5 player. If he plays, maybe he's still top 5, but he's going to play less and less. I think this latest injury update  of "a week or so" is stupidly vague. If I was going to bet, I'd see he's out at least two weeks is probably closer to 4. 

We'll see what happens. Nobody can predict the future accurately but this is a message board and we make predictions all the time otherwise it's boring so that's my prediction.

Close to 4 weeks for an ab strain? If it was around playoff time he’d be playing through this, he’s not missing 4 weeks because of an ab strain man. Lakers are being cautious with him because he’s an antique in basketball years and we’re what, 3 weeks into the season? No need to rush.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be poetic if LBJ comes back strong and leads Lakers to another title.    But will  not happen,  unless there is another bubble.

Until LBJ recovers (hopefully soon),  let's watch Westbrook and the rest of old timers fighting for the playoff spot

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

It would be poetic if LBJ comes back strong and leads Lakers to another title.    But will  not happen,  unless there is another bubble.

Until LBJ recovers (hopefully soon),  let's watch Westbrook and the rest of old timers fighting for the playoff spot

 

Here we go again about the bubble. Cmon bro, are we gonna discredit the Raptors for winning against the KD-less and Klay-less Warriors as well? Every team had the same amount of rest and inconvenience during the bubble. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

It would be poetic if LBJ comes back strong and leads Lakers to another title.    But will  not happen,  unless there is another bubble.

Until LBJ recovers (hopefully soon),  let's watch Westbrook and the rest of old timers fighting for the playoff spot

 

Westbrick can't lead Lakers get the playoff spot

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Here we go again about the bubble. Cmon bro, are we gonna discredit the Raptors for winning against the KD-less and Klay-less Warriors as well? Every team had the same amount of rest and inconvenience during the bubble. 

I dunno man, they were one Kawhi bounce away from not even being in the Finals at all, lol.  As far as the bubble/Lakers go, I think people are more upset that the Lakers were picking on an exhausted Jimmy, a hobbled Bam, an old Dragic, and a team of undrafted/non-lottery rookies ... with a ring-chasing team of current/former All-stars and #1 picks; IIRC the only one on the Heat with an AS appearance was Jimmy (and I guess Iggy had one or two if you wanna count him).  I'm not upset with the Lakers winning as I am with the circumstances that caused them to be in that situation, some of which are unexpected (Dubs tanked without Steph, Nets lost without KD, etc) and some that were (Lebron GMing a superstar team).  Always more fun to watch a nail-biter Finals rather than something like the Dubs in 2015/2018.

Anyway, Lebron might have to wait another year.  I dunno if Westy and AD can win without him, which is a slight hope that he'll return sooner than later, since they're not doing well nor want to give up this season too quickly.  But it's Lebron, meaning that if he's missing time due to injury, he's probably pretty hurt.  My fingers are crossed for a 2-4 week timeline, but I'm sorta expecting him to return around Christmas ... hopefully.

Ugh, I rarely draft Lebron, because I always worry that every year will be the year that he begins to regress or get beaten by Father Time.  Sucks that it might be this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MWon said:

I dunno man, they were one Kawhi bounce away from not even being in the Finals at all, lol.  As far as the bubble/Lakers go, I think people are more upset that the Lakers were picking on an exhausted Jimmy, a hobbled Bam, an old Dragic, and a team of undrafted/non-lottery rookies ... with a ring-chasing team of current/former All-stars and #1 picks; IIRC the only one on the Heat with an AS appearance was Jimmy (and I guess Iggy had one or two if you wanna count him).  I'm not upset with the Lakers winning as I am with the circumstances that caused them to be in that situation, some of which are unexpected (Dubs tanked without Steph, Nets lost without KD, etc) and some that were (Lebron GMing a superstar team).  Always more fun to watch a nail-biter Finals rather than something like the Dubs in 2015/2018.

Anyway, Lebron might have to wait another year.  I dunno if Westy and AD can win without him, which is a slight hope that he'll return sooner than later, since they're not doing well nor want to give up this season too quickly.  But it's Lebron, meaning that if he's missing time due to injury, he's probably pretty hurt.  My fingers are crossed for a 2-4 week timeline, but I'm sorta expecting him to return around Christmas ... hopefully.

Ugh, I rarely draft Lebron, because I always worry that every year will be the year that he begins to regress or get beaten by Father Time.  Sucks that it might be this year.

Yeah I get that but injuries are just part of the game, which is why it's extremely difficult for one team to keep winning championships. A lot of things have to go right, like you mentioned the crazy Kawhi bounce shot.. And regarding the timeline, it was made by an ex-strength coach who probably has not even seen the injury up close. Lakers have given a 1-2 week, so let's all just go from there, if he misses more because they're extra cautious,  we'll know for sure then. One thing is for sure Lakers desperately need LeBron back and some of their important role players who have yet to play (Ariza, Nunn, THT).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

It would be poetic if LBJ comes back strong and leads Lakers to another title.    But will  not happen,  unless there is another bubble.

Until LBJ recovers (hopefully soon),  let's watch Westbrook and the rest of old timers fighting for the playoff spot

 

It was 8 months ago he was playing at an MVP type level. 8 months. Even if the timetable put him back around Christmas, that’s plenty of time for him and the Lakers to make the playoffs even after a struggle to start the season. If you make the playoffs, anything can happen, especially with a LeBron/AD led team. Saying it “will not happen” the first week of November is absolutely ridiculous and you know it. Stop hatin man. You’re by far the biggest Lakers hater here and I’m not sure why. You already had to eat your words 2 seasons ago when you said there was no chance they’d win, it would really stink if you had to eat them again not even 2 years later. I would be careful what you say, considering it’s ya know, a week past Halloween. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I am saying is that LBJ missed a lot of games as Laker (whatever the reasons are), except for the  bubble season.  In other words it does not seem that LBJ now can play  from October to May/June  without missing lots of games unless there is a long break in the middle of the season. 

Missed games in his last  run with Cleveland:  13, 6, 8, 0

Missed games as Laker:  27,   5 (bubble season),  27,   4  so far this season (out of 10 games) 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...