Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yordan Alvarez 2022 Outlook


UberRebel
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Bandito said:

Cr#p Sprint Speed. Guy’s useless. 😇

Thank you for censoring that word. I would have been triggered had you spelled it out fully. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mrfrood said:

Gosh he reminds me so much of David Ortiz. 

Yes, please!  I don’t know how many times I got Papi cheaper than I should have because others didn’t want to ‘clog up their Utility slot with a DH-only player’. Loved riding those 35 HR and 120 RBI to the bank. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mrfrood said:

Gosh he reminds me so much of David Ortiz. 

In the 2019 Yordan thread Knuckleheads posted an interview from a former scout who talked to other scouts when Yordan got called up. The quote from a scout he gave compared Yordan to Ortiz and Ryan Howard. The discussion begins around 18:00 here.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

Yes, please!  I don’t know how many times I got Papi cheaper than I should have because others didn’t want to ‘clog up their Utility slot with a DH-only player’. Loved riding those 35 HR and 120 RBI to the bank. 

That's who I thought of last year when he tore apart the Sox in the playoffs was Big Papi. I also totally agree about riding those incredible stats every year.  Never understood the point of needing to have my utility spot to be flexible when he produced elite numbers.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 8:45 AM, Bandito said:

Yes, please!  I don’t know how many times I got Papi cheaper than I should have because others didn’t want to ‘clog up their Utility slot with a DH-only player’. Loved riding those 35 HR and 120 RBI to the bank. 

I forgot what year it was but there was one year where his batting average was like less than .250, then he followed it up with another down year (but better than that year). Then the following year he was out the first month of the season, someone dropped him right away, I picked him up, once he came back, he dominated. I had him on my team from then and the subsequent years. 

This is probably why I like Yordan so much because he reminds me of Papi. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 12:57 PM, RonnieMac said:

That's who I thought of last year when he tore apart the Sox in the playoffs was Big Papi. I also totally agree about riding those incredible stats every year.  Never understood the point of needing to have my utility spot to be flexible when he produced elite numbers.   

Never got back to us on his shake investigation in the Dominican 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Never got back to us on his shake investigation in the Dominican 

It's still an ongoing investigation 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That stat correction going through Sunday night was an unexpected CLUTCH. Thanks Yordan you may have gone 0-5 but the hit from that game got me the W. 

Edited by collucho
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Clutch three run double in the 9th today.  He's a beast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The Astros have locked Alvarez up for the next 6 years, giving him a deal just south of what Jose Ramirez received from the Guardians before the season. The extension takes effect next year, meaning Alvarez will still earn just over $760k this year. Its more comparable to the extensions received by pre-arb players like Tatis Jr., Wander Franco and Trout, but as a player who primarily plays DH, the Astros got a nice discount for his services. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34031967/sources-houston-astros-yordan-alvarez-agree-6-year-115m-extension

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

Astros got themselves a discount cause this man is worth more than 115 mil

Oh very much so, but I can understand it a bit with Alvarez. He already missed the majority of a full season due to knee injuries, and he's probably going to deal with some other injuries in the next few seasons. That's a ton of money for a pre-arb player, obviously.

Yet, in many respects, the market for pre-arbitration players was totally reset when Tatis Jr. and Wander Franco signed their mega, $300MM+ contracts. Certainly Alvarez would not have commanded their salary as a primary DH, but also could have gotten much, much more. 

I still think its nothing compared to the value the Guardians got for re-signing JoRam in the pre-season, in what will surely go down as one of the most team friendly deals in MLB history. This signing, Houston easily gets twice the $ value in WAR from Yordan, but Cleveland is getting 3 or 4X in value compared to what they paid JoRam.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Oh very much so, but I can understand it a bit with Alvarez. He already missed the majority of a full season due to knee injuries, and he's probably going to deal with some other injuries in the next few seasons. That's a ton of money for a pre-arb player, obviously.

Yet, in many respects, the market for pre-arbitration players was totally reset when Tatis Jr. and Wander Franco signed their mega, $300MM+ contracts. Certainly Alvarez would not have commanded their salary as a primary DH, but also could have gotten much, much more. 

I still think its nothing compared to the value the Guardians got for re-signing JoRam in the pre-season, in what will surely go down as one of the most team friendly deals in MLB history. This signing, Houston easily gets twice the $ value in WAR from Yordan, but Cleveland is getting 3 or 4X in value compared to what they paid JoRam.

At the end of the day this is a fantastic signing and Alvarez gets a good deal but will be a happy man. He’s Vlads bat nearly with a similar age. I think they should really try him out at 1B when old man Gurriel hangs em up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Love you cubano! Homer number 17

He's just a monster!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...