Devin Vassell 2021-2022 Outlook

Freddiefresh

I was watching the game and I have no idea why Pop just went with Doug to close the game. White finding his stroke might have something to do with his low minutes but it makes no sense to let your best bench player only take 4 shots whie Doug goes 3-10.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:20 PM, MrCantaloupe said:

Crazy how the overall perception of him has changed since Josh Lloyd labeled him a "must add" just a few days ago.

Ya'll need to stop riding Josh Lloyd's 🏐🏀🥎️... the dude Jack Armstrong'd Gary Trent Jr early on and I dropped the bloke. Now I am crying. 

4 minutes ago, RAGINGROOSTER said:

Ya'll need to stop riding Josh Lloyd's 🏐🏀🥎️... the dude Jack Armstrong'd Gary Trent Jr early on and I dropped the bloke. Now I am crying. 

I mean, he does a really good job following the sport and the bbm tools are super useful, but yeah, everyone needs to think a little more for themselves. I have owned Vassell all year long and don't plan to drop him, but the hype got out of control for a moment there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sickrookie said:

Nice bounce back. Outplayed every starter too. Didn’t have a chance to close the game due to blowout. Will he get promoted to start sooner than later? 

Idk, it seems like the Spurs are pretty intent on tanking. Even luke walton would have put vassell in the starting lineup by now, I refuse to believe pop is actually this dumb and he's just committed to the tank instead. You could nake the argument that vassell's the second best player on the team

9 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

You want to something infuriating? Look at his RAPTOR standing when you adjust the stats to only show players, and look at the guy who's blocking him in the SF starting slot. It's downright annoying he's not starting.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

Instructions unclear. I intended to something infuriating but accidentally adjusted the stats to only show players.

4FKG.gif

1 minute ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Instructions unclear. I intended to something infuriating but accidentally adjusted the stats to only show players.

4FKG.gif

Errr I guess that's my bad... Let me try this:

From the website- "RAPTOR is a plus-minus statistic that measures the number of points a player contributes to his team’s offense and defense per 100 possessions, relative to a league-average player. For instance, a player with an offensive RAPTOR rating of +2.1 boosts his team’s performance by 2.1 points per 100 offensive possessions while he is on the floor. Likewise, a player with a defensive RAPTOR of +3.4 would improve his team’s defensive performance1 by 3.4 points per 100 possessions while he’s on the court" https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/introducing-raptor-our-new-metric-for-the-modern-nba/

Basically, it shows if a player (who is on the court) is helping the team in improve their offensive output, defensive output, both (blue side), or being a detriment to both (the pink side). Vassell is helping his team on both ends of the floor almost as much as Dejounte does (per 100 possessions, DJM ranks 1st as he adds 3.5 points to his team's performance while Vassell is 2nd at 2.3). The lower circle in the pink zone is what Doug McDermott is doing (contributing -7.7 points to his team's performance per 100 possessions while he plays)

P.S. I might be wrong in interpreting the data so please feel free to correct me if I did get it off.

TLDR; McDermott playing big minutes leads to losses, Vassell to playing big minutes leads to wins.

2.jpg

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, tazdingo said:

Errr I guess that's my bad... Let me try this:

From the website- "RAPTOR is a plus-minus statistic that measures the number of points a player contributes to his team’s offense and defense per 100 possessions, relative to a league-average player. For instance, a player with an offensive RAPTOR rating of +2.1 boosts his team’s performance by 2.1 points per 100 offensive possessions while he is on the floor. Likewise, a player with a defensive RAPTOR of +3.4 would improve his team’s defensive performance1 by 3.4 points per 100 possessions while he’s on the court" https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/introducing-raptor-our-new-metric-for-the-modern-nba/

Basically, it shows if a player (who is on the court) is helping the team in improve their offensive output, defensive output, both (blue side), or being a detriment to both (the pink side). Vassell is helping his team on both ends of the floor almost as much as Dejounte does (per 100 possessions, DJM ranks 1st as he adds 3.5 points to his team's performance while Vassell is 2nd at 2.3). The lower circle in the pink zone is what Doug McDermott is doing (contributing -7.7 points to his team's performance per 100 possessions while he plays)

P.S. I might be wrong in interpreting the data so please feel free to correct me if I did get it off.

TLDR; McDermott playing big minutes leads to losses, Vassell to playing big minutes leads to wins.

2.jpg

Yeah I think in the long run Doug McDermott is gone. Maybe Pop is just giving him a chance and bringing the Vassell along slowly. The Spurs are not serious contenders (ironically unless Vassell becomes a star to support Murray cause he is the only one with a high ceiling) this year anyways.

10 hours ago, tazdingo said:

You want to something infuriating? Look at his RAPTOR standing when you adjust the stats to only show players, and look at the guy who's blocking him in the SF starting slot. It's downright annoying he's not starting.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

It's my favorite tool to look when making my own preseason  rankings, it's great for player evaluation.

Back to our boy Vassell, he is doing great amongst players with 1-4 year experience, 11th overall

• Like 2

Because Crowder and Batum were that valuable  last season.   RAPTOR is not for fantasy basketball, in real life both Batum and Crowder were really good for their teams over the entire season.

Key players on the teams that made it to the NBA and conference finals.  

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Because Crowder and Batum were that valuable  last season.   RAPTOR is not for fantasy basketball, in real life both Batum and Crowder were really good for their teams over the entire season.

Umm, no. Nick Batum was 100% not a top-25 player last year.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Yes I know what the stat measures. If you really think Batum was a top 25 real life player last season then I think you're crazy. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Umm, no. Nick Batum was 100% not a top-25 player last year.

Agree, on its own Batum was not top-25 player in the NBA.

keep in mind that "RAPTOR is a plus-minus statistic that measures the number of points a player contributes to his team’s offense and defense per 100 possessions, relative to a league-average player."

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&SeasonType=Regular Season&Season=2020-21&CF=GP*GE*40

Both Batum and Crowder are placed quite high in Net Rating (min 40 games):  Batum 16th (if my count is correct) with 8.9 ( Geroge was 11.3, LBJ was 9.2) , Crowder  46th with 6.3 (CP3 was 6.5).

In other words, Batum and Crowder  helped their teams last year  to win  lots of games all season long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Agree, on its own Batum was not top-25 player in the NBA.

keep in mind that "RAPTOR is a plus-minus statistic that measures the number of points a player contributes to his team’s offense and defense per 100 possessions, relative to a league-average player."

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&SeasonType=Regular Season&Season=2020-21&CF=GP*GE*40

Both Batum and Crowder are placed quite high in Net Rating (min 40 games):  Batum 16th (if my count is correct) with 8.9 ( Geroge was 11.3, LBJ was 9.2) , Crowder  46th with 6.3 (CP3 was 6.5).

In other words, Batum and Crowder  helped their teams last year  to win  lots of games all season long.

Thats correct, I like to use it more in looking for 1) trending players who affect winning on either side of the floor, and if 2) these players have potential to be useful fantasy assets if they get more playing time.

I don't think anyone here would have Crowder or Batum in their "top 25 list of active players" outside of fantasy purposes.