NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ezequiel Tovar SS COL

Dirtywater97

6 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He's a top 15 prospect for me at this point. Don't care what the publications say.

Publications are irrelevant unless you're trying to unload the dude. 15 might be pushing it for me, but he's obviously a huge riser this . year. Who knows though, maybe you're right there.

He's such a good fielder that he'd probably be high on prospect lists just because of that, even if it's not fantasy relevant. But obviously the speed and what appears to be new power and Coors are just gravy

18 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Publications are irrelevant unless you're trying to unload the dude. 15 might be pushing it for me, but he's obviously a huge riser this . year. Who knows though, maybe you're right there.

Yeah that might of been little hyperbole, but top 25ish for sure. 

• Like 1

What this kid is doing is crazy. He's a legit shortstop, the hardest defensive position. And he's killing it offensively too. At AA. At age 20. I get he wasn't doing this prior to this year and that's why he wasn't ranked higher on prior prospect lists. But he's playing like a Top 5-10 prospect in all of baseball. Although his great defense does not help his fantasy value, it should help his prospect ranking. On the flip side, stealing 16 of 17 bases so far won't really move the needle much as a prospect, but should greatly help his fantasy prospects. Oh yeah, and he's in the Rockies system too. Imagine this kid playing at Coors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

So combining 2021 and 2022 he is at 156 games with 661 PAs, has .298 BA with 40 2B/25 HR with 108 R/102 RBI and 40 SB. ūüĎč

While being one of the youngest players at each level

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svdude said:

Kind of surprised he's on the 40 man roster.  Any chance he gets a cup of coffee this year? 

I'll be the rare one in here who hopes that he does not lol. If he does not come up this year, I get an extra year of control in my keeper league :D. 

That said, if he gets promoted to AAA and continues to shine, it would be hard to see him not getting a chance to come up at least late in the season, especially if the Rockies continue to fall back in the standings (are 6-15 since starting 16-11) and are cooked by Sept. Neither Rodgers nor Iglesias are doing much with the bat. And according to Fangraphs defensive rating, neither is doing much with the glove either...ranked 18th and 19th at their respective positions. Iglesias has a negative UZR and RngR, so he's not providing much other than a veteran presence and an empty OBP. Same for Rodgers, except without the OBP. 

I guess it comes to whether Colorado wants that extra year of control for the 20yr old or not. I do think that at best, we see him come up in Sept. After all, he does have only 42 games above High-A at this point. He probably needs a full year at AA/AAA. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, svdude said:

Kind of surprised he's on the 40 man roster.  Any chance he gets a cup of coffee this year? 

It's basically because he signed so young he has to be on the 40 man given his number of years in the minors.

As for a promotion, I wouldn't rule anything out. Colorado has been on record say it would be aggressive with Tovar and it has been true to that statement by putting him in AA after only 32 games at high A ball. By all accounts Tovar's glove is already MLB ready. And there's little blocking him in the organization with Iglesias being a stopgap (and Rodgers is made of glass at 2B). So if Tovar can continue to hit, maybe? You never know, guys like Morel and Michael Harris jumped straight from AA with weaker resumes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It's basically because he signed so young he has to be on the 40 man given his number of years in the minors.

Are you sure about that? Moises Gomez also signed at 16 and has been in the minors for eight seasons (three more than Tovar), and he's not on the Cards' 40-man roster. Or is it because Gomez was signed by a different team? 

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Are you sure about that? Moises Gomez also signed at 16 and has been in the minors for eight seasons (three more than Tovar), and he's not on the Cards' 40-man roster. Or is it because Gomez was signed by a different team? 

Yes. Players don't have to be added to the 40 man. They just get exposed to the Rule 5 Draft if they don't. With Gomez, he was exposed and not taken (see https://www.draysbay.com/2020/11/19/21575083/rays-prospects-and-the-rule-5-draft). Twice actually (see https://www.birdsontheblack.com/post/the-definitive-introduction-to-moisés-gómez). If you're not on the 40 man, while you cannot get called up the majors, but you're at least protected from another team poaching you until the next year's Rule 5 draft (One other note, a player can become  a minor league free agent when he has played six full minor-league seasons and otherwise hasn't been added to a team's 40 man roster. He is then free to sign with any organization)

Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. The Rockies signed Tovar in 2017 and added him this past offseason to avoid exposing him (https://www.denverpost.com/2021/11/19/rockies-40-man-roster-ryan-rolison-noah-davis-ezequiel-tovar/). Though MLB cancelled this  past offseason's Rule 5 draft due to the labor strife, so it was kind of moot. But the Rockies didn't know that at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yes. Players don't have to be added to the 40 man. They just get exposed to the Rule 5 Draft if they don't. With Gomez, he was exposed and not taken (see https://www.draysbay.com/2020/11/19/21575083/rays-prospects-and-the-rule-5-draft). Twice actually (see https://www.birdsontheblack.com/post/the-definitive-introduction-to-moisés-gómez). If you're not on the 40 man, while you cannot get called up the majors, but you're at least protected from another team poaching you until the next year's Rule 5 draft (One other note, a player can become  a minor league free agent when he has played six full minor-league seasons and otherwise hasn't been added to a team's 40 man roster. He is then free to sign with any organization)

Players signed at age 18 or younger need to be added to their club's 40-Man roster within five seasons or they become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. The Rockies signed Tovar in 2017 and added him this past offseason to avoid exposing him (https://www.denverpost.com/2021/11/19/rockies-40-man-roster-ryan-rolison-noah-davis-ezequiel-tovar/). Though MLB cancelled this  past offseason's Rule 5 draft due to the labor strife, so it was kind of moot. But the Rockies didn't know that at the time.

Great info there. Thank you. 

• Like 1