NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ezequiel Tovar SS COL

Dirtywater97

Why this guy gets no love is beyond me.

Legitimately the same profile as Matos who gets 50x more hype. Only outperformed him this year too, and same age.

Defense first profile who was pegged with no power. Bulked up and added it to his frame, power blossoming.

Buy now at a supreme discount while the hype is low is up there with the likes of some of the top spects in the game performance wise.

Very solid hit tool and defensive profile so he has a great floor imo.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like Tovar as an under-the-radar (ish) tout     but I have to push back on the Matos comp a bit.
Instead of spouting my own amatuer scouting takes on the two, I'll simply leave their future grades, per Fangraphs

Ezequiel Tovar: 55 hit, 30 power, 55 speed 
Luis Matos: 55 hit, 50 power, 60 speed

(and I can easily see Matos peaking higher, around 60-hit, 55-power. I think he's a possible future superstar -- whereas Tovar could be a .... nice player? 

5 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I like Tovar as an under-the-radar (ish) tout     but I have to push back on the Matos comp a bit.
Instead of spouting my own amatuer scouting takes on the two, I'll simply leave their future grades, per Fangraphs

Ezequiel Tovar: 55 hit, 30 power, 55 speed 
Luis Matos: 55 hit, 50 power, 60 speed

(and I can easily see Matos peaking higher, around 60-hit, 55-power. I think he's a possible future superstar -- whereas Tovar could be a .... nice player? 

Can you give me a definitive reason why outside of hype and name recognition? Tovar is actually bigger than Matos listed as 6' versus 5'11 has hit as many Homer's and is at a more advanced level. 🤷‍♂️. Their profiles are almost clones from a statistical perspective. 

17 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Can you give me a definitive reason why outside of hype and name recognition? Tovar is actually bigger than Matos listed as 6' versus 5'11 has hit as many Homer's and is at a more advanced level. 🤷‍♂️. Their profiles are almost clones from a statistical perspective. 

If I give you an honest answer, half the people reading may form a coalition to seek me out and end my life. 

[reason written in invisible text below]

The Eye Test

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

If I give you an honest answer, half the people reading may form a coalition to seek me out and end my life. 

[reason written in invisible text below]

The Eye Test

Meh, I think the difference is pretty negligible. Obviously gonna take the side with pedigree if I had a choice. But looking at both of them I'd argue Tovar has more projection left on the frame than Matos.

If I could get Tovar + for Matos prob would take that all day.

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

He's part of the Rockies organization. We will be up sometime in 2029.

I know this is a meme but I still think it's misplaced. In terms of hitters, who are these amazing hitters that the Rockies ruined? Who left the Rockies after not getting playtime and became good? 

We get attached to average prospects who get a bump because of coors and forget they are average prospects and most average prospects disappoint.

Like Garrett Hampson and Charlie Blackmon, Tovar is either good or isn't 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I know this is a meme but I still think it's misplaced. In terms of hitters, who are these amazing hitters that the Rockies ruined? Who left the Rockies after not getting playtime and became good? 

We get attached to average prospects who get a bump because of coors and forget they are average prospects and most average prospects disappoint.

Like Garrett Hampson and Charlie Blackmon, Tovar is either good or isn't 

It just seems like it takes a long time for the kids to get any real playing time in COL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

It just seems like it takes a long time for the kids to get any real playing time in COL. 

I feel like Arenado, lemieheu, Blackmon and story all had it really quickly. Brendan Rodgers, McMahon, and  Hampson  not so much. Kinda feel like McMahon wasn’t super blocked and isn’t amazing. 

• Thanks 1

I think teams hold prospects back based on their future arbitration award odds. loud skillsets will cost a lot more in arbitration than the better real life players than fantasy guys. Tovar has loud skills so he back to the minors. Teams want to sign these guys to long term rookie contracts so they buy out arbitration and maybe a free agency year or 2. Tovar should be back this year unless the Rockies truly suck and just give up by June (which is likely in this division).

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I feel like Arenado, lemieheu, Blackmon and story all had it really quickly. Brendan Rodgers, McMahon, and  Hampson  not so much. Kinda feel like McMahon wasn’t super blocked and isn’t amazing. 

Eh, maybe you are right. I was going with a Rockies trope. 

• Like 1

So he was assigned to minors, but man gives me hope for this year coming forward. I know, I know, small sample and all that jazz, but got to think the competition he's facing in spring is superior to A+. His two biggest questions are power and his ability to take a walk. Already seeing progress in the power side of things. Slick defender so that will never be a concern.

1 strike out total in that line below.

• Like 1

Feels like he is FINALLY getting some love around the prospect community. He was assigned to AA to start the year which raised my eyebrows a bit due to the struggles at A+ to end the year.

Still stand by all my Matos shade (don't actually hate him) and Tovar love

• Like 1

You can also color me perplexed how he isn't getting more attention--esp from some of the bigger pub lists, considering his defense is plus at SS? I know I only follow so many outlets are but have any individuals aggressively pushed him up this spring? I know I am about ready to, even though it's a Rox-spect. Too many things in the plus column. Very early but taking some walks and hit a HR in AA. On the 40 man and literally nothing in his way up the rest of the ladder.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

You can also color me perplexed how he isn't getting more attention--esp from some of the bigger pub lists, considering his defense is plus at SS? I know I only follow so many outlets are but have any individuals aggressively pushed him up this spring? I know I am about ready to, even though it's a Rox-spect. Too many things in the plus column. Very early but taking some walks and hit a HR in AA. On the 40 man and literally nothing in his way up the rest of the ladder.

Only thing I've really heard is Chris Clegg had him as a bold prediction podcast as a top 50 prospect by year end. BA put out a spring training article of players performing well and to throw out the old scouting report.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...