NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Anthony Volpe- SS NYY

Parkj20

I can see him trying to prove himself and pulling everything right now, however I have not looked at his approach this year. From what I watched (highlights only), he was very effective using center and right center as well. He is 21 years old with a big paycheck in front of him. I think the hitting coaches need to have him settle down a bit and use more of the field. I base this on absolutely nothing except young me at 21 years old and 7 figures or more per year if I hit the ball. Every pitch would look like a beachball until I whiffed at it.

Love how razzball just invents a hit tool problem out of thin air when the man had never run a swstr% over 10 his whole minor league career until now. 

Yeah he's K-ing too much right now, but Def an adjustment phase. Volpe seems like the type with a low swing % in general isn't getting away with being as passive as he was before. Needs to bring his swing decisions up to the next level now that he's dealing with pitchers that have better command. That's how he thrived before. Like Brandon Belt-ish approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Is it just me or does he look pretty damn slow?  He got an insane jump on his steal to 2nd and barely made it

That's exactly his m.o. though. No elite tools all above average to good with insane baseball iq and instincts that make everything play up.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

That's exactly his m.o. though. No elite tools all above average to good with insane baseball iq and instincts that make everything play up.

They aint gonna let him steal like that in the bigs. Can't count on SB from this guy in the future from what I can see.

6 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

They aint gonna let him steal like that in the bigs. Can't count on SB from this guy in the future from what I can see.

If you don't believe then use him as a trade chip. That's the name of the game isn't it? Can't say making an assumption about all his steals based off one clip is a good process though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still in and would be buying but he hasn't quiet turned it around yet from what im seeing. His OBP has been high so his batters eye has been solid but he's definitely still adjusting. Lots of room to continue growing but I don't think he's up until mid next year at the earliest.

Yeah K rate isn't egregious anymore and the walk rate is still solid. BABIP remains under .200

If there is one silver lining to this slow starts is its he's proving the speed is legit, maybe even getting better. This is his best success rate ever and it's supposed to be harder to steal bases in AA versus the lower levels.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

This dude might be on to something 🤔

Get that man to an eye-doctor. If it's a consistent problem, then I wonder if there's something an optometrist can do in the offseason to alleviate that issue. Maybe not, but it's worth looking into.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, desert86 said:

How do you pronounce his name? I think i like volp-uh the most. Hope that's how it really goes

I say vole-pay but I have no idea if this is correct or not..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Up to 253 right now, hope everyone bought low. He’s batted 295 in June and 325 in July. Power isn’t quiet where it was last year but he’ll get over 23-25 I think. Wouldn’t be surprised if they move Peraza at the deadline.

Edited by mike11