NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gunnar Henderson SS BAL

Dirtywater97

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, amcsoldier said:

Good to see its off a lefty too. Hasn't faced too many of them so far this year, not sure if that's by design by the O's or not. Only had 34 AB vs LHP in Double-A and didn't do much as he was 5-34 vs them. Should get tested by more of them in Triple-A the rest of the year.

Edited by Blood Brother

Rotoworld has this guy helping the big league club "by the end of next year". Any chance he gets fast tracked? What is the best case scenario that he gets called up early? Doesn't seem like much blocking him and I don't want to get caught on my heels if a Juan Soto like call up happens (I know Soto came up right from AA but still..)

Baseball America scout Geoff Pontes was on the Just Baseball podcast 2 days ago and talked briefly (and glowingly) about Gunnar Henderson and his opinion was guys with Henderson's skill set don't stay at AAA very long but that "the Orioles don't really have any reason to push him at this point. He's a guy that could be up end of the year...this summer...next year. i think it's imminent at this point. He's really exciting. This is a guy that you could make a Top 10 prospect, honestly. He's that good".

The whole podcast is great but the Henderson specific talk starts at the 30:44 mark.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:43 PM, Wieties said:

I don't think the Orioles will be eager to start his clock but you never know.

He absolutely would be one of their top 5 players if he were promoted tomorrow.

I'm not sure the clock matters too much at this point. You can avoid Super-2 and still get 6+ years of control if you call him this year. The main alternative would be to wait all the way into next season to call him up and gain an extra year or wait nearly a full year until June 2023 and try an avoid Super-2 next year. But that's a long time to keep someone in AAA. If he continues to hit, it does not seem feasible. I can see giving him some time in AAA to see what happens, but he can basically force their hand if he hits.

Again, the most amazing part is that he doesn't turn 21 until 2 weeks from now.

He's 3-4 years younger than his competition in AAA,

He should look overmatched but he's thriving.

Also, from Fangraphs today:

"Gunnar Henderson has moved from the 50 FV (future value) tier into the 55s, as he’s cut his strikeout rate almost in half while walking more than he has punched out at Double-A Bowie ahead of a promotion to Triple-A. If we look under the hood, Henderson’s pitch selection appears even more impressive, as he’s only swinging at pitches in the strike zone that he can damage, often letting strikes on the outer third of the zone go past him early in the count. There are scouts and analysts convinced he can play shortstop for at least a little while, though I still have him projected as a plus third baseman. He’s now a top 25 prospect in baseball for me based largely on the improvements he’s made on the offensive end, improvements that have curbed the fear that may have popped up from his 2021 Double-A stint of him striking out at a worrying clip."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillyMartinTrailer said:

He's on fire!!

From Christopher Crawford's Top 10 prospects today:

9. Gunnar Henderson, INF, Baltimore Orioles

2022 stats: 59 G, .310/.458/.563, 10 HR, 13 SB, 54 BB, 47 SO at Triple-A Norfolk.

It’d be much easier to rank Henderson higher on this list if there was a guarantee that he was going to be promoted. In terms of just pure talent, he belongs in the third position (behind Oneil Cruz and C.J. Abrams), with all due respect to the names above him. He has more than held his own since his promotion to Triple-A with a slash of .300/.481/.526 in 12 games with two homers and a steal. He’s one of the most underrated prospects in baseball, and if the Orioles decide to give Henderson a chance this season -- unlikely, but possible since he’s a step away -- fantasy managers would do well to give him a shot, too.

The numbers he's put up are great but what should leap off the page is the 54 BB/47 K's. That's just crazy good, especially from a guy that won't turn 21 for another 9 days and is 1 level away from the major leagues.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having a huge game tonight.  Just hit for the cycle his four AB's. 4-4, 4 runs scored,  3 RBI. 

3 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

Video of each hit:

He has such a sweet swing. 

• Like 2

Happy 21st Birthday Gunnar Henderson!

Born: June 29, 2001 (Age: 21-000d, Happy Birthday!) in Montgomery, AL

gettyimages-1158505177-594x594-1.jpg

Combined 2022 stats (AA/AAA):

Games: 66       AB: 227       HR:13      RS:65        RBI: 50

SB: 14      AVG./OBP/SLG: .317/.451/.590        OPS:1.041 

Edited by Wieties

If you look at the MI & 3B in BAL it's atrocious.  I really wish this kid had a shot this year and see what he can do.  Odor, Mateo and Nevin can't keep this kid down for long if he keeps this up.  Also I know every player is different,  but Michael Harris is only four months older than Gunnar and he has done awesome since coming up from AA. 

Jun 29, 2022, 8:20 AM ET
1 hour ago, RonnieMac said:

If you look at the MI & 3B in BAL it's atrocious.  I really wish this kid had a shot this year and see what he can do.  Odor, Mateo and Nevin can't keep this kid down for long if he keeps this up.  Also I know every player is different,  but Michael Harris is only four months older than Gunnar and he has done awesome since coming up from AA. 

Maybe....maaaaaybe... 🤔

Orioles INF prospect Gunnar Henderson hit for the cycle on Tuesday for Triple-A Norfolk.

Henderson, 21, also drove in three runs while scoring four himself. It’s yet another impressive outing for the top hitting prospect -- not counting Adley Rutschman, of course -- in the Baltimore system, and he’s now hitting a very strong .329/.448/.629 over his 19 games since being promoted by the Tides. A 1.041 OPS overall shows that it’s been happening all year for the left-handed hitting infielder, and he’s someone fantasy managers have to start taking more seriously as a potential helper in 2022, if they haven’t already. The long-term potential is obviously even more significant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike11 said:

He's going to be a top 10 fantasy prospect for 23 if he doesn't get called up this year pretty easily. Not many guys I'm more excited about. Volpe, Carroll?

I've seen hints from multiple prospect sites that he is for sure top 5 and even in the running for the top spot.  

Edited by svdude
  • Like 1

RotoBaller just released a list of the Top 25 prospects by 2022 re-draft value:

Ranking Player Pos Team Age ETA
1 Miguel Vargas 3B LAD 22 July
2 Alec Burleson OF STL 23 July
3 Gabriel Arias SS CLE 21 July
4 Esteury Ruiz OF SD 23 July
5 D.L. Hall SP BAL 23 July
6 Kyle Stowers OF BAL 24 July
7 Max Meyer SP MIA 23 July
8 Brayan Bello SP BOS 23 July
9 Kyle Muller SP ATL 24 July
10 Darick Hall 1B PHI 26 July
11 Gunnar Henderson 3B/SS BAL 20 July
12 Spencer Steer 2B/3B MIN 24 July
13 Nick Pratto 1B/OF KCR 23 July
14 Triston Casas 1B BOS 22 August
15 Ryan Noda 1B/OF LAD 26 July
16 Matthew Liberatore SP STL 22 July
17 Ethan Small SP MIL 25 July
18 Ryan Pepiot SP LAD 24 July
19 Peyton Burdick OF MIA 25 July
20 David Villar 3B SF 25 September
21 Ezequiel Duran 3B TEX 23 September
22 Mason Martin 1B PIT 22 September
23 Corbin Carroll OF ARI 21 September
24 Michael Busch 2B LAD 24 September
25 Hunter Brown SP HOU 23

July

Their writeup on Henderson:

"Gunnar Henderson moves way up the list. He has a .422 OBP, a .227 ISO with four home runs, and two steals in 18 Triple-A games. My initial thoughts are the Orioles keep him down and don't rush him as they are a last-place team. But with how they have been playing recently, if they want to compete, they could call him up. He has a good eye (19.7% walk rate in Double-A, 18.1% walk rate in Triple-A) and has played well in the minors this season."

So there's at least a glimmer of hope for a call-up and July is better than I would have suspected.

The rest of the article is Here:

Top Fantasy Baseball Prospects Rankings for Week 12 (2022) | Fantasy News (rotoballer.com)

Edited by Wieties

MLB Pipleine just released their updated prospects list and Henderson has jumped from #41 to #5 - a 36 spot leap.

Their take:

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 60 | Run: 50 | Arm: 65 | Field: 50 | Overall: 60

The 2019 Draft may always be known in Baltimore as the one where Adley Rutschman became an Oriole, but it would be short-sighted to forget the scouting staff also managed to bring in Henderson to kick off the second round. A tremendous high school athlete who starred in basketball and baseball in Alabama, Henderson signed for an over-slot bonus of $2.3 million and had a solid pro debut that summer. After playing well as one of the youngest players at the O’s alternate site in 2020, Henderson started the year in Low-A and finished in Double-A, including hitting well in the postseason to finish off the year.

Henderson was young for his level all year, not turning 20 until the end of June, and the Orioles were pleased with how he responded with the challenges each promotion presented. The left-handed hitter is capable of making loud contact with at least plus power potential. Whether he reaches that ceiling will depend on his ability to cut down on his swing and miss. Henderson did strike out in close to 31 percent of his plate appearances in 2021, but he made strides on pitch selection, chasing out of the zone and maintaining his emotions in the box as he moved up the ladder.

With a cannon for an arm and off-the-charts athleticism, there is confidence Henderson could play shortstop long-term despite his size. He’s also shown he can handle playing third base and has gotten enough work in the outfield for the Orioles to believe he could play all three spots if needed. He has superstar potential if he can continue to refine his approach.

The entire mid-season update is here:

Top 100 Baseball Prospects (mlb.com)

Comments on the changes from the pre-season list here:

Updated Top 100 Prospects list July 2022 (mlb.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1