NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Is this the end of fantasy basketball? Injuries, COVID, Load Management

EsTiLO

On 1/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, Del Rio said:

If you're good enough, you can still come out ahead of the competition most of the time even though there is certainly a larger luck factor involved in the COVID era. But have to agree that it's not enjoyable sometimes, and if not for my money leagues, I'd probably have quit playing by now

This is more or less true but very dependent on league settings.  I’m assuming a majority of the folks that are being turned off play in leagues with settings that are less forgiving of bad luck (eg; less acquisitions, weekly rosters).  

• Like 1

I haven't posted this season and used to be a daily poster on these boards. But yes, it has become laborious and borderline annoying trying to keep up. Especially when you make a transaction only to have that player enter protocol hours later before tip-off wasting a move. My leagues have weekly transaction limits and with Covid and LM, everyone maxes out 7-moves a week. Players have become soft and coddled, I don't even watch like I used. I'll finish out the season trying my best, but luck seems to favor the winning teams more than skill the last few years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 80version said:

I used to believe H2H was superior.  Now I do both and appreciate each, and wish I had transitioned to playing roto too sooner.  So your biased statement is untrue. 

When I played roto, a few managers who finished high but never won lobbied to switch to H2H format. A few years into H2H, after they lost to lower seeds in the playoffs, they cried that roto is better ... mofos are never happy lol

Personally I find both formats to be fun but under the current NBA climate, roto is definitely less of a crap shoot.

27 minutes ago, 80version said:

I used to believe H2H was superior.  Now I do both and appreciate each, and wish I had transitioned to playing roto too sooner.  So your biased statement is untrue. 

Good for you.  Hope you win your roto league.

I played roto and am not ever going back despite your unbiased evaluations.

Arguing Roto vs H2H is like arguing chocolate vs vanilla. No one is right, it's just what you enjoy more, period.

BUT, in today's NBA with Covid and load management and all the other BS, I think the playing field is more EVEN in a roto league than a H2H league, because it measures someone's ability to manage over a larger sample size and not just have good timing. But I completely understand where people are coming from that don't like Roto. It's a drier more mathematical format. Most people just want to kick back and beat their friend's a** on the weekly.

• Like 3

Roto definitely is a better test of managerial skill and team strength. H2H is more "fun", though, and it gives mediocre players a better chance to compete so due to these two reasons it will always have a level of popularity.