Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Is this the end of fantasy basketball? Injuries, COVID, Load Management


EsTiLO
 Share

Recommended Posts

Its clear just from the activity on these boards that many probably agree with your sentiment that it’s practically unplayable. I’d have to agree that those mainstream standard weekly leagues with 13 man rosters are pretty much unplayable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're good enough, you can still come out ahead of the competition most of the time even though there is certainly a larger luck factor involved in the COVID era. But have to agree that it's not enjoyable sometimes, and if not for my money leagues, I'd probably have quit playing by now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All those health and safety protocals is kind of annoying BUT also made me realize there were so many players you unheard of can actually play so this makes pick up free agent from WW crucial to win your league.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I been active and enjoying fbb annually for over a decade now.  After the last 2 seasons, the game simply doesn’t feel the same anymore

Spend way much time and dedication on this. I’m strongly reconsidering my prospects for future seasons. Never minded losing or having a rough season, hell…sometimes a nice comeback is just as glorious as dominating early throughout…but this yr, it simply hasn’t been fun at all…in any aspects. Everything feels like one big crap shoot. From my top seeded teams to middling teams across all leagues…it’s sImply just been more frustration then joy. 

Edited by IDatDude
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the protocol bs I suppose will end with this calendar year (2022) as COVID is becoming endemic

and I already am adjusted to the resting and shutting down…You cannot impact on the injuries, the players are not soft, they just play extremely different type of basketball than 15-20 years ago - there was a great article about why we might be witnessing more injuries than earlier

I’ve been ****** by the protocol and some injuries for the past 3-4 weeks and it made me realize it was much more entertaining during this period than earlier when everything was going they was it’s supposed to…I find the struggle of looking for “unknown” guys much more entertaining than plugging my BI, PG, etc.

Edited by L3onD
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On net, the protocols' BS helps better players who can identify short-term gems. "Resting" is a bigger concern for me. For instance, today Lillard is "resting." You aren't cutting him. You are taking the hit for the week--but doing so after you paid an 82 game price for him. This is endemic to the NBA. In every other sport players will fight tooth and nail to play. Basketball "players" don't seem to be interested in playing much.

Fantasy football's problem is non-stop injuries and TDs being counted as the same as 60 rushing or receiving yards that accentuates the luck factor even if you actually have a healthy roster for that week.

I'll keep playing both but I went from as many as 6 fantasy football leagues to 1 and can't see myself ever doing more than 1, maybe 2 basketball leagues going forward.

Fantasy baseball is the gold standard. Players show up 95% of the time, injuries are a lot more manageable, and in the event you have a superstar go down it won't kill you like it does in fantasy football or severely hurt you in fantasy basketball. There is a hit but it is a lot easier to overcome in baseball since in a H2H match up if a player scores 15% of your points that is a monster weak. In fantasy football one player can score a majority of your points in a given week.

 

My 2 cents. Hope to see more of you on the baseball forums this spring!

Edited by Ace_King
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It won't be the end of it for me, but I'm accepting that it's going to add a lot more randomness than I'd like.  In one league I had 8 in protocols, ten total on IR for almost an entire week, that week was a throwaway.  In another league I've had the worst luck with injuries unrelated to COVID destroying my team, then COVID knocking out a couple players a week, effectively making me throw away three weeks so far.

I still enjoy it enough to deal with it and just accept that it adds a lot more randomness, but at times it is frustrating enough to make you wonder if it's worth it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Roto has really become the only way to play.  H2H is now completely reduced to luck based on which team has more players out due to covid or load management. 

Could be. I think the weekly H2H with 13 man rosters are bunk in this day and age. I remember when that first started. (Category leagues) like mid 90’s. Before that it was all point H2H leagues. I first started playing in the 80’s so seen it all. Back in the day fantasy basketball was only scored or tabulated on game days with 8 or more games being played. So you would have say 4 or 5 matchups(games) per week instead of just one whole week.  All other days didn’t count. I happen to still be in that original league and weve had no issues strangely. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Roto has really become the only way to play.  H2H is now completely reduced to luck based on which team has more players out due to covid or load management. 

In my opinion, for what little it is worth, Roto sucks. Never going back. 

Haven't really thought thru the downsides, but maybe we will increase the playing period from 1 week to two weeks to help get players through some of these issues in our league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rabaak said:

In my opinion, for what little it is worth, Roto sucks. Never going back. 

Haven't really thought thru the downsides, but maybe we will increase the playing period from 1 week to two weeks to help get players through some of these issues in our league.

Roto does suck. I agree. No format can protect a league from all the bad luck bull **** that can happen and really, that's life. **** happens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roto is much better for today's state of the NBA and most people that think it suck just like the H2H format that keeps their attention every week. But I love my Roto league this year and hate H2H for the exact reasons everyone has stated. You can constantly shift and adjust in Roto or wait out a player to not burn a spot. But roto is also more complex and requires more patience. Most people here can't wait a week before they freak out over someone.

I assume baseball fantasy players are much warmer to NBA roto than those that only play Football otherwise.

Edited by kball09
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will preface that I've been playing H2H for the last 7 years and before it was Roto for about 8 years.

IMO H2H has some luck element where a mediocre team can beat a top team on any given week depending on how most of a team's rosters balls or slumps. Weekly schedules play a huge factor on games played and requires being vigilant and swift to grab a  hot streamer - which helps compensate on a poorly drafted team. 

Roto is also challenging but can be very unforgiving on a poorly drafted team. Putting aside injuries, protocols and load management (which affects all formats), a solid team in roto can cruise for the entire season without the need for many add/drops.

One thing I've done at the end of every H2H season for the last 5-6 years is to pivot teams category stats to get a roto rank view. Granted it is not a perfect methodology since player moves and strategies differ slightly depending on play format but the goal is usually the same, acquiring the best player off the wire. In my H2H leagues over the years, the championship team is not guaranteed  a first place in roto ranking but definitely within the top 4 spots. 

As mentioned in prior posts, today's NBA is plagued with covid and protocols. Conditioning is the new thing where players miss games coming out of protocols, and later come playoff time it will be load management. Personally it has deflated a lot of the fun in H2H and Roto looks like the better format going forward.

Those are my 2 cents.

Happy New Year fellas

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are all gamblers at the end of the day. 

All those who said you will quit? See you next year if not the year after. Uncertainty just makes you annoyed but it's the gaming aspect is too strong for you to quit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, zerthimon said:

Care to elaborate?

Not really, That discussion has gone on for years on this forum. I'm sure it can be found in the archives. And I don't have the time or energy to re-open it again. No minds get changed and no one wins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roto or even a DFS League >>>> Classic H2H this year no debate. Clearly Roto minimizes the punishment of carrying a 60% IR'd roster. You can go 2 weeks without suffering major losses if you've setup your punt categories properly but let's say you did and you still suffered above average injuries or COVID...... well in 9-Cat H2H going 5-13, 4-14, 3-15, 2-16 could prove to be the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs. During the rough times I was lucky to get away with 4-5 losses or 4-4-1 ties but the same can't be said for everyone. Scheduling luck, streaming, uneven round robin regular season, and now the BS of COVID H&S has to be dealt with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 2:39 PM, Ace_King said:

On net, the protocols' BS helps better players who can identify short-term gems. "Resting" is a bigger concern for me. For instance, today Lillard is "resting." You aren't cutting him. You are taking the hit for the week--but doing so after you paid an 82 game price for him. This is endemic to the NBA. In every other sport players will fight tooth and nail to play. Basketball "players" don't seem to be interested in playing much.

Fantasy football's problem is non-stop injuries and TDs being counted as the same as 60 rushing or receiving yards that accentuates the luck factor even if you actually have a healthy roster for that week.

I'll keep playing both but I went from as many as 6 fantasy football leagues to 1 and can't see myself ever doing more than 1, maybe 2 basketball leagues going forward.

Fantasy baseball is the gold standard. Players show up 95% of the time, injuries are a lot more manageable, and in the event you have a superstar go down it won't kill you like it does in fantasy football or severely hurt you in fantasy basketball. There is a hit but it is a lot easier to overcome in baseball since in a H2H match up if a player scores 15% of your points that is a monster weak. In fantasy football one player can score a majority of your points in a given week.

 

My 2 cents. Hope to see more of you on the baseball forums this spring!

Well put.  Baseball is by far my favorite for fantasy, for all the same reasons stated.

 
I am still deep into fantasy hoops (8 leagues) and having fun.  All of my leagues are ESPN daily with 2 IR slots (except one league has 3) with 6 acquisitions per week in H2H, which makes the current state of the game much more manageable.  You do a lot of streaming and toggling players in and out of IR, so being highly active is rewarded.  I couldn’t imagine doing weekly with < 5 acquisitions. That would suck and make me soured in fantasy, for sure. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rabaak said:

Not really, That discussion has gone on for years on this forum. I'm sure it can be found in the archives. And I don't have the time or energy to re-open it again. No minds get changed and no one wins.

I used to believe H2H was superior.  Now I do both and appreciate each, and wish I had transitioned to playing roto too sooner.  So your biased statement is untrue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...