NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Is this the end of fantasy basketball? Injuries, COVID, Load Management

EsTiLO

5 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

I disagree. Sports is our getaway from the bad in the world and as we saw with ratings people aren't having it when the NBA gets involved in issues outside. If players want to sit out and they will go ahead but sports need to stay separate 

Yes sports is "supposed" to be a getaway and diversion, however the NBA has evolved to the point where the players are calling the shots.

44 minutes ago, ez2do4now said:

It is good for the NBA to show solidarity, especially when majority of the stars are mentally impacted one way or the other. However if I may be candid, corporations often have a marketing angle whenever they do anything

as a non-american, i believe it has more to do with **** thats gonna go off all across the states if the guy gets acquitted or there is a mistrial...last summer will be nothing compared to the events that might erupt if it goes sideways...whole minneapolis is basically under surveillance and is preparing for the convinction...personally, dont have any angle in that story although there were major errors in the way officer procedeed after floyd wanted to get on the ground rather be put in the vehicle but prosecution had major errors as well and so did judge too in handling the jury, the jury shouldve been sequestered from the get go...this ***** not gonna end well anyway we look at it...and how can anyone even go on with their daily lives if there are major riots a la LA riots in 92 all across the country

Edited by L3onD

33 minutes ago, ez2do4now said:

Yes sports is "supposed" to be a getaway and diversion, however the NBA has evolved to the point where the players are calling the shots.

I agree there the players run the league just saying they need to be careful since ratings TANKED with all the bubble nonsense that went down

1 hour ago, DonutGiveUp said:

I agree there the players run the league just saying they need to be careful since ratings TANKED with all the bubble nonsense that went down

yea f--- nba players, let our billionaire owner overlords control any and everything

hope that boot is scrumptious

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lethotjames23 said:

yea f--- nba players, let our billionaire owner overlords control any and everything

hope that boot is scrumptious

Owners pay them handsomely and let them do whatever they want stfu with your constant ignorance 

• Haha 2

It's the end of H2H format I hope. Every year we go thru the same BS in April and May but this year is especially worse. IL++ so nice but what a midseason tease and useless addition since we cannot use it until the start of a new season..... that's like giving everyone an amazing sneak preview and having all the hype dissipate because COVID may no longer be as serious a thing in 8 months.

Also the lack of league customization sucks....... we were supposed to be able to adjust the length of our seasons to 12-13 weeks if we wanted and then set the Playoff Start dates to as early as Week  14 but NOPE, once again Yahoo drops the ball on that and removes any kind of flexibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtx said:

It's the end of H2H format I hope. Every year we go thru the same BS in April and May but this year is especially worse. IL++ so nice but what a midseason tease and useless addition since we cannot use it until the start of a new season..... that's like giving everyone an amazing sneak preview and having all the hype dissipate because COVID may no longer be as serious a thing in 8 months.

Also the lack of league customization sucks....... we were supposed to be able to adjust the length of our seasons to 12-13 weeks if we wanted and then set the Playoff Start dates to as early as Week  14 but NOPE, once again Yahoo drops the ball on that and removes any kind of flexibility.

Agree that H2H has become unplayable with all the resting and phantom injuries.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Getting silly even for Roto. Seems like the silly season is now going into full blank mode from all star break onwards. I wouldn’t mind fantasy season ending at the all star break for next season. 

What was wrong with Roto. It was way better than H2H this season.

Is this the end of fantasy basketball? Simple answer: No.

But it's becoming increasingly difficult to have any sympathy for the NBA in regards to it's current rules and regulations when it comes to teams tanking and/or resting and labeling players with phantom injuries in order to keep them out.

Gone, seem to be the days where you could count on a player playing at least 78-80 games a season unless they suffered a horrible injury.

To put it bluntly, if I were the NBA, the consequences for teams sitting players due to phantom injuries or push the tank button would be much, much greater than they are now. Quite frankly, they don't really have any consequences right now, only slightly less chance that they may not get the #1 spot depending upon the lottery balls.

NBA needs to levy huge fines (talking 7-digits) and/or complete draft-pick retraction if teams are found to be sitting players on purpose.

Teams like TOR, OKC and a few others (who are resting players and coming up with strange injuries) need to be punished and need to be made an example of for the rest of the league to see. People don't come or tune into the games to watch Ty Jerome play basketball. They just don't....No offense to Ty Jerome. I do appreciate Roto's callout of Lu Dort being out because of "Tank Violator" though. Same with OG Anunoby's mysterious injuries that keep popping up.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Problem is it's so hard to enforce. Plausible deniability will always remain.

X-Rays and MRI can evidence sprains, contusions, muscles and ligament ailments.

Stomach virus? There is crap for that.

Show proof of injury and team can sit the player.

And the only phantom injuries will be the pinched nerves, migraines, vertigo, blurred vision, and sleep apnea 

4 minutes ago, ez2do4now said:

X-Rays and MRI can evidence sprains, contusions, muscles and ligament ailments.

Stomach virus? There is crap for that.

Show proof of injury and team can sit the player.

And the only phantom injuries will be the pinched nerves, migraines, vertigo, blurred vision, and sleep apnea 

Proof of injury? With X-Rays and MRI’s isn’t that a violation of HIPAA?

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Proof of injury? With X-Rays and MRI’s isn’t that a violation of HIPAA?

Good point, forgot about that. I am sure legal experts can institute some clause where teams have to provide injury proof to the league.

Glad I am not playing in a money league this year. Those guys must be really upset with all the absences.

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Because we are being forced to use more games on our "bench" players.  Like I said in an earlier post, silly season is way longer than it used to be.

Edited by python3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

For sure it’s more fair, I’m just saying I wouldn’t mind if it ended earlier.

3 hours ago, mtx said:

You should have tried other sites this year that let you customize the settings to your liking more.  Or sites that provide IL++.  Yahoo is the worst at both customizing and their injury tags. I agree they always drop the ball. - and always at the worst times. 

These factors add to the difficulty of Fantasy basketball. If you draft a guy like Kawhi Leonard and then find yourself upset that he's sitting while seemingly healthy then yes, this is the end of Fantasy basketball for you... Or at least, you should consider not playing because this is not for you.

• Thanks 1

I am probably going to have to give roto a try next year. This year has drained me. My league has some super archaic rules. We implemented 3 IR spots this year because of covid but you can only use 1 of the 3 for injuries only and the other 2 can only strictly be used for covid guys. I finished 2nd in the regular season but was crushed by injuries and such. Harden was my first rounder, Kawhi was my 2nd, Nurkic in the 3rd. I stupidly took Aldridge in the 5th, Jaren Jackson Jr in the 7th (the bullshit timeline on his return has been the most infuriating), and Fultz in the 10th. I picked up Claxton last week for the playoffs only to have him ruled out with covid protocols on Monday. I also currently own Robert Williams, Richaun Holmes, Jerami Grant and Terrence Ross. On paper it should be a solid team but I'm probably getting bounced in the 1st round  with all the starts I've lost already and will continue to lose. And to top it off, we are limited to 2 moves per playoff week , down 1 from the regular season. 

This season has been so unenjoyable. I don't know how the NBA could be fixed but I've long felt if the NBA and or MLB had a European Soccer relegation model, you wouldn't see the Pistons sitting Jerami Grant and Plumlee this late in the season if they were faced with potential relegation and seeing their revenues effected. 

• Like 3

I have to say, I started off enjoying the chaos, but I got knocked off last week because 3 of my top players, including Dolla Dame, were out multiple, random games, with relatively phantom injuries. All in the same week. A perfect storm.

Not to mention actual injuries to guys like LaMelo, who turned out to be a key part of my team's foundation. 

So I guess I got my comeuppance.