NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chase Claypool 2021 Outlook

Not much reported on the story yet, but it's yet another reminder that even though this guy is an NFL player/budding star, he's still a 20 something kid who goes to bars, hangs out with friends, probably drinks, and as we can see, can get into trouble.  I think it's easy for a lot of us to say "if I were an NFL star, I'd steer clear of any trouble and know that I have to be a role model", but we aren't living the dream and not making the dough.

Suspension is obviously likely under the personal conduct policy.  But who knows how the NFL and Goodell decide which cases to expedite and which will be delayed until the following season.  I think it also matters if there's going to be a criminal or police investigation.  It's March.  So hopefully we will know by draft day if something is coming.  Seems like ages ago, but wasn't Melvin Gordon's drunk driving from two seasons ago, yet he played the whole year last season, and now I believe all charges were dropped?

4 hours ago, CooL said:

Not much reported on the story yet, but it's yet another reminder that even though this guy is an NFL player/budding star, he's still a 20 something kid who goes to bars, hangs out with friends, probably drinks, and as we can see, can get into trouble.  I think it's easy for a lot of us to say "if I were an NFL star, I'd steer clear of any trouble and know that I have to be a role model", but we aren't living the dream and not making the dough.

Suspension is obviously likely under the personal conduct policy.  But who knows how the NFL and Goodell decide which cases to expedite and which will be delayed until the following season.  I think it also matters if there's going to be a criminal or police investigation.  It's March.  So hopefully we will know by draft day if something is coming.  Seems like ages ago, but wasn't Melvin Gordon's drunk driving from two seasons ago, yet he played the whole year last season, and now I believe all charges were dropped?

I think the broader point though is that this dude is trending more in the knucklehead direction. The end of his 2020 thread ended with some growing noise about the nature of his social media posts and things of that sort. Could be a red flag, could be a temporary nothingness. His previously clean image is taking a hit lately.

• Like 1

I really wish I would've kept a running list of offseason events that happened that people assumed were suspension worthy that were completely forgotten by July, but I'll just point to the Robby Anderson thing.   He got arrested on a bunch of charges and threatened to, well, do stuff to the officer's wife.    What happened on the forum?  HIS CAREER IS OVER..........................and he didn't even miss a game.     

You can discuss this as a signal that he's going to be an issue long term and other things might happen, but he's not getting suspended for this, that's laughable.    Narratives change quickly with young players.    Three years ago JuJu was "such a nice boy, not like that Antonio Brown".   Marshawn Lynch had every name in the book thrown at him in Buffalo for a few issues, and  became one of the league's most popular players, a model teammate, and an overall charitable dude.    

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

I really wish I would've kept a running list of offseason events that happened that people assumed were suspension worthy that were completely forgotten by July, but I'll just point to the Robby Anderson thing.   He got arrested on a bunch of charges and threatened to, well, do stuff to the officer's wife.    What happened on the forum?  HIS CAREER IS OVER..........................and he didn't even miss a game.     

You can discuss this as a signal that he's going to be an issue long term and other things might happen, but he's not getting suspended for this, that's laughable.    Narratives change quickly with young players.    Three years ago JuJu was "such a nice boy, not like that Antonio Brown".   Marshawn Lynch had every name in the book thrown at him in Buffalo for a few issues, and  became one of the league's most popular players, a model teammate, and an overall charitable dude.    

video always changes things. 

• Like 1

Steering away from drunken bar scuffle discussion, where would you guys rank Claypool among the PIT WR? I feel like DJ is the consensus target hog and #1 option but Claypools big play threat with another year under his belt makes me think he could outproduce DJ with the TD upside.

7 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Steering away from drunken bar scuffle discussion, where would you guys rank Claypool among the PIT WR? I feel like DJ is the consensus target hog and #1 option but Claypools big play threat with another year under his belt makes me think he could outproduce DJ with the TD upside.

This will be pretty dependent on scoring system, IMO. In PPR/.5 PPR I would definitely prefer DJ over Claypool, but in standard I think Claypool has more upside because of the higher value targets and his ability to turn screens/short passes into big plays, which he did pretty routinely last year.

21 minutes ago, sSektor said:

3rd best WR on his team

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

3rd best WR on his team

True, when experience is taken into account.  But his upside is unquestionable.  The Steelers rarely miss when it comes to drafting WRs - I think he will break out at some point, but I do wonder whether it will happen under Ben and his rapid-fire post-injury approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

True, when experience is taken into account.  But his upside is unquestionable.  The Steelers rarely miss when it comes to drafting WRs - I think he will break out at some point, but I do wonder whether it will happen under Ben and his rapid-fire post-injury approach.

Agreed - this is the biggest threat to this guy being an impact player this year. Big Ben sucks, the Steelers all but begged him to retire and then he didn't.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 10:20 AM, BrianM said:

That incident solidified robby andersons career,  

21 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

That incident solidified robby andersons career,  

Yeah not really, given that his 2018 and 2019 seasons were worse than 2017. But let's say the fact that the Jets decided to keep their eyes closed certainly gave him another chance, and then the Panthers made him rich.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Chase Claypool 2021 Outlook
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 9:36 PM, SuperJoint said:

Agreed - this is the biggest threat to this guy being an impact player this year. Big Ben sucks, the Steelers all but begged him to retire and then he didn't.

I hate the situation so bad ,Ben needs to go but I absolutely don't want Rudolph, or haskins or Dobbs in there at all...those are all atrocious options so overall for me it's all crap.  Talk about horrible planning 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So like most ppl I’m not the biggest fan of Big Ben this year. But claypool could have a huge year... assuming his off the field problems stop. 

We all know he is truly an elite level athlete at WR and guys with his talent that also flashed as rookies often go on to have amazing 2nd years and careers. The guys his size and speed metrics he is often compared too are Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, Calvin johnson, DK, demaryius Thomas, dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall of these guys 4 of them flashed as rookies with 700+ yards and 5 of them had great 2nd seasons. Claypool arguably had a better rookie year than all of them with his 870 yards and 11 total TDs coming off the Covid offseason. Obviously this isn’t and apples to apples comparison but if you can find someone as athletic as claypool who flashed as a rookie they tend to be really good. I honestly can’t think of any guys this athletic that had good rookie years that ended up being just bad. If y’all know any I’m sure y’all will let me know soon 

• Like 1

Listen I'm a Homer for Pittsburgh and I'm on the edge of ready for a new era but I think the feel people are having about ben is being way way over blown. The guy had plenty of 20+ yard tds. Sure by end of season he mightve slowed down but there's a ton of variables 

That video shows ben hitting plenty of in stride tds to his wrs. Just saying, people need to watch that and get a refresher on Ben last year. He threw for close to 4000 yards .

Totally agree I don’t think he is gonna be whipping it wherever he wants but he’s got enough arm strength and experience to pick and choose his moments at least. Ben had 12 TDs in his last 5 games counting the playoff game. 

People bash his poor yards per attempt and air yards per attempt which can be blamed on a few things but he was still top 5 in deep passes thrown. Most of claypools best plays were deep shots. 

On 7/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, Stonej14 said:

I don’t get how people can get so pumped up for Kyle Pitts this year and DK last year but claypool gets no love. 

His QB situation is tough. He’s deep ball has really suffered, but I hear ya. Kid has immense talent. 

18 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

His QB situation is tough. He’s deep ball has really suffered, but I hear ya. Kid has immense talent. 

Plus I think people see Dionte and JuJu as being ahead of him for targets, with James Washington in the mix as well.  Claypool I compare to Gallup as the 3rd WR on the team with CeeDee and Amari.  Claypool and Gallup will be boom-or-bust week to week, so I much prefer them in best ball formats.