NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Max Meyer, SP, MIA

Fbaseballgod

3 hours ago, Kaytwo said:

He might just be in his own head now, but yeah, hard to imagine a quick call up after this outing.

Did anyone really expect a quick call up? He's only very early in his second professional season, has pitched a grand total of nine games at the Triple A level, and has been shelled in last two starts ... 8.1 total IP, 14 hits allowed, 14 Earned Runs allowed. Not ready yet.

1 hour ago, hoopscribe said:

Did anyone really expect a quick call up? He's only very early in his second professional season, has pitched a grand total of nine games at the Triple A level, and has been shelled in last two starts ... 8.1 total IP, 14 hits allowed, 14 Earned Runs allowed. Not ready yet.

Yes, people did in fact think he might get called up before his last two outings. Read the thread. Read the Internet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaytwo said:

Yes, people did in fact think he might get called up before his last two outings. Read the thread. Read the Internet.

You might want to read the internet to know that after 2 games in Triple A last season and 5 this season, there was no chance he was getting called up that early. Then, Triple A-level games when he was just absolutely shelled ... now you see why people who understand baseball knew he wasn't coming up. Anyone who truly expected a call up after 7 decent Triple A level games was fooling himself.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, hoopscribe said:

You might want to read the internet to know that after 2 games in Triple A last season and 5 this season, there was no chance he was getting called up that early. Then, Triple A-level games when he was just absolutely shelled ... now you see why people who understand baseball knew he wasn't coming up. Anyone who truly expected a call up after 7 decent Triple A level games was fooling himself.

Give me a break -- pitchers get called up all the time with limited exposure in the minors, particularly if they had strong college careers.

Off the top of my head, Alek Manoah was called up last year after 9 professional starts (6 in A in 2019, 3 in AAA). Chase Silseth was just called up and he's only had 7 starts in AA. It happens. Meyer had 20 starts in AA & 2 in AAA last year, and in his six starts in AAA this year before getting blown up he had a 1.72 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, and 39 K in 31.1 innings. That obviously plays.

I don't know why you're insistent otherwise but prior to those last two starts, with Hernandez getting shelled on a nightly basis, a call up was a completely realistic possibility.

Doesn't matter now though. It'll be a while.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kaytwo said:

Give me a break -- pitchers get called up all the time with limited exposure in the minors, particularly if they had strong college careers.

Off the top of my head, Alek Manoah was called up last year after 9 professional starts (6 in A in 2019, 3 in AAA). Chase Silseth was just called up and he's only had 7 starts in AA. It happens. Meyer had 20 starts in AA & 2 in AAA last year, and in his six starts in AAA this year before getting blown up he had a 1.72 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, and 39 K in 31.1 innings. That obviously plays.

I don't know why you're insistent otherwise but prior to those last two starts, with Hernandez getting shelled on a nightly basis, a call up was a completely realistic possibility.

Doesn't matter now though. It'll be a while.

Yes, it will be a while. Marlins' executives are on record as saying 

Glad you recognize college as pitching experience. You compare him to Manoah, who pitched in 58 college games and got in 218 innings. Meyer's college totals: 46 games (only pitched in 4 games his last college season) for 148 IP. Manoah also had the benefit of getting his proverbial feet wet with some minor league play in 2019 and, then, not playing games during the covid year (2020), when he spent time getting in better condition before getting most of that spring/summer at the Blue Jays' alternative training site. There, he developed pitches that are paying dividends now. When he hit the minors at the Triple A level in 2021, he was a lot closer to being ready than Meyer was by going to the minors directly from college. Manoah showed how ready he was by absolutely overwhelming Triple A competition to start last season, 3 games, 17 IP, 7 hits allowed, 27 K''s. That is domination. Meyer hasn't show that kind of domination yet.

Meyer in Triple A: 1.72 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 39 K's in 31.1 IP. Manoah in 3 Triple A games: 17 IP, 0.50 ERA, 0.55 WHIP, 27 K's.

Who was more dominant at Triple A? Not remotely close.

Meyer didn't have the benefit of that extra non-pressure season that Manoah had in 2020 with the alternative training situation.

He was still in college in 2020 .... pitching just four games. 

So, yes, Manoah only actually pitched in 9 minor-league games before he was up for good. But, he pitched considerably more in college than Meyer, and had more time to develop at the alternative training site.

Can some pitchers be ready after 30 minor-league games, 10 on the Triple A level? You can probably find some examples. But, it's not happening for Meyer right now. He surely would have benefitted if he had been able to spend that covid year just honing his pitches at an alternative training site rather than pitching just 4 college games in that year.

Bottom line, though, is that Meyer has shown that he's not ready yet, and that Manoah was more than ready when he came up.

This from Marlins' GM Kim Ng, who suggested she didn't want to rush him to the majors before he was ready: "Max is a great talent. We think he's got a very bright future," Ng told the Miami Herald. "We just want these guys when they come up to be as prepared as they can, given the circumstances, to get big-league hitters out. That's the goal we have in mind for Max right now."

This from the Miami Herald's beat reporter Jordan McPherson who explained why he believed the Marlins think Meyer, who has thrown just 147.3 professional innings needs more time in Triple A: "(The Marlins want to) minimize the acclimation period when the player gets to the big leagues. Give him time to learn from his mistakes while in the minors. Meyer is still primarily a fastball-slider pitcher who is developing a changeup. Having a third quality pitch is the key if he plans to stay as a starter."

In other words: Meyer's not ready yet. That''s why I was so insistent.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hoopscribe said:

In other words: Meyer's not ready yet. That''s why I was so insistent.

My god, man. I’m not arguing he should get called up now. But this started with you saying there was no chance he was getting called up early. And that’s just impossible for you to know. But plenty of beat reporters were hearing internally he might before the bad starts. Happy to unnecessarily rattle them all off but, again, Internet.

So cool story bro, thanks for sharing two quotes from May 16th, 4 days after Meyer gave up 6 runs in 5 innings and the entire world realized a call up had become unlikely, as if that’s somehow proof it was never on the table before the situation changed dramatically overnight.

And this is such a small point but Meyer was at their alternative site in 2020, and it’s because he impressed them so much there that he opened 2021 at AA, where he made 20 starts and impressed them so much he jumped to AAA in the same year, and until his start on May 12th looked like nothing was going to slow him down. But obviously he got shelled twice and now it’ll clearly be a while.

Edited by Kaytwo

Posted (edited)

Was curious and looked at when the Marlins have called up top prospects in the last few years.

Edward Cabrera - August 25th, 2021

Sixto Sanchez - August 22nd, 2020

Trevor Rogers - August 25th, 2020 (might not have been top prospect at time but figured I'd add him)

Zac Gallen - June 20th, 2019 (traded for Jazz obviously)

Hopefully Meyer goes by the way of Gallen. Their hype is similar.

I could see a late June callup. If Meyer can string together 3-4 great starts after a rough patch, that would make the Marlins feel good about him overcoming a bit of adversity.

I do worry if Elieser were to get back on track (and Luzardo is fully healthy). There are then obstacles that could re-establish that might a June callup unlikely. But if Elieser continues to struggle, Meyer gets back on track, Super Two is passed, then it would seem a no-brainer those first weeks of June.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Marlins will now be evaluating not only his performance but also his health. I wouldn't expect that they'd clear him in two weeks (even if it isn't "serious"), he pitch a few starts and then be in majors. July/August more likely.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Sal the Wop said:

Looked good his last outing. Maybe 1 more in the minors, and then gets called?

Cabrera still hasn't pitched, so I think he'll get the call before him

Did even realize he was back from the DL.  

25 minutes ago, Kaytwo said:

Righting the ship with a strong 6 inning, 2 hit, 0 R, 5 K line tonight on just 61 pitches.

Surprised he didn't pitch another inning, considering his pitch count. I hope this was his last minor league outing 

I read the only concern the Marlins have at this point was his underwhelming amount of K's. I'd sure like to see him get called up asap. Now that Brayan Bello is getting the start for Boston on Wednesday, I think it's down to Max Meyer and maybe the return to the bigs for Kyle Muller. They are the two best pitching prospects still in the minors for redraft purposes. I'm anticipating the Marlins making a trade soon as they have way too many pieces on their roster not to make a trade for an upgrade in talent. My guess is Ramon Laureano will wind up in Florida and the Athletics will receive a very nice package of young talent for him which will most likely include Edward Cabrera and some outfield prospects. Thus opening up a spot for Max Meyer in the starting rotation. 

I’m hearing Meyer might get traded to the Pirates for Reynolds…

Edited by Zerzavy

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

I believe it was a single person tweeting. No real evidence yet. 

The tweet was also already deleted. Absolutely nothing to see here.

Folks, please indicate via an embedded tweet/link your sources on any and all trade rumors/rumblings (or at the very least credit the source, i.e. "Per Ken Rosenthal..." etc). Please do not share rumors that haven't been reported from an accredited source. Thank you.

• Like 1

Dark One, 

I appreciate your posting. Yeah, I'm on rotoworld, rotowire, espn, MLBTRADERumors.com, Fantasypros, I'm everywhere looking for information. Anything to give me the slightest edge over the other 17 team owners in my redraft league. And I have Max Meyer stashed so when he posted that I wanted to know the source of that information. Thanks for putting your post out there. 

• Like 1

Per the most recent Edge blurb on Reynolds (just to clear up any lingering confusion):

"According to Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic, the Pirates appear unlikely to trade either Bryan Reynolds or David Bednar this season."

A buddy of mine just send me the link to Craig Mish Twitter account. 

This is wonderful news to me. I've been sitting on Max Meyer for a month now, along with Bello who flamed out this week. I have Kyle Muller and DL Hall stashed so I'm ecstatic some of these guys are getting the call. 

I hope he pitches really well this weekend. 

Zeravy, thank you for the update as quickly as it came out. Made my night.