Miguel Vargas - 3B LAD

FouLLine

12 hours ago, meh2 said:

I like to think I have a pretty strong track record of predicting call ups and this time frame feels logical to me. If he doesn’t get the call I think it’s safe to say the Dodgers don’t feel his outfield defense is passable. I don’t buy that he’s a trade candidate since he seems like the heir apparent to replace JT at 3rd next year and he makes the club better for the stretch run this year. They have more than enough trade chips in the org to get whoever they want at the deadline without having to include him. If I’m wrong, full refunds are available 😎

Do you accept PayPal info?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

And the fan goes wild.

All three HRs on the clip posted above came on hanging curve balls ... basically batting-practice level pitches. The catch he made in the outfield? He hesitated momentarily going for the ball turning what probably should have been a routine catch into a more-difficult one. He looks like he's going to be very good, but his outfield work isn't there yet and he probably should finish out this season in the minors to get more experience.

I will say this: I'd rather have his future than that of Clown's man crush, Duran.

• Haha 1

I suspect, the Dodgers might hold him down now, especially if he were involved in a deal for Soto. But perhaps he could find himself on another club within two weeks. A callup tomorrow isn't sounding as likely.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

I suspect, the Dodgers might hold him down now, especially if he were involved in a deal for Soto. But perhaps he could find himself on another club within two weeks. A callup tomorrow isn't sounding as likely.

If he got traded I would assume the new team wouldn't be in a hurry to call him up this season. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

If he got traded I would assume the new team wouldn't be in a hurry to call him up this season. 

Perhaps. I'd say he's ready on most ballclubs though. And Nats would likely want as many major league ready players as they can bring to the ballpark, post-Soto.

There'd also be an opening at 3B in Cincinnati if Luis Castillo & Brandon Drury are both gone.

Either way, part of Vargas' appeal would be that he'd have plenty of protection in the Dodgers lineup. If he were dealt, might be on a barren offense. And if Dodgers get Soto (and Vargas somehow stays) or an another outfield, that'd only leave 3B/DH for Vargas.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Thanks 1

Seems like LF was a failed experiment. He was at 3B in OKC last night. And committed his 14th error. I wonder if he may be less appealing to other ballclubs (Reds or Nationals, etc.) if DH is his position long-term. Gavin Lux might be the position player in a Soto trade? The Justin Turner injury is noteworthy and could keep Muncy at 3B, while Vargas takes DH. Jake Lamb started at DH last night and went in for Turner after he left Thursday. Turner out only expected out a few games, but has not been fully tested yet.

The Dodgers beat guy just came out with an article on The Athletic on him, here are some good blurbs:

Miguel Vargas’ bat is calling for a Dodgers call-up: ‘It’s gonna be really scary’

"You watch him, listen to him and you’d think Miguel Vargas was born to hit.

Look no further than his father, Lázaro, whose sweet swing was the stuff of legend in Cuba and brought a pair of Olympic gold medals to the country he and his son would defect from years later. The younger Vargas idolized him. The two remain attached, a father and son now traversing the minor leagues, as the Dodgers prospect’s swing has evolved into the stuff of hyperbole.

After all, all he’s done is hit. He knows it, too.

He is a preternatural hitter, a productive one who has torched Triple A with an .880 OPS in his first 395 plate appearances during his first stint with Oklahoma City.

“He doesn’t miss one pitch,” said Diego Cartaya, his fellow top prospect. “He doesn’t take any pitch off. He’s dangerous all the time.”

Vargas’ promise is über-present, which puts him at the center of the Dodgers’ potential internal options for an addition that could make an impact in October. His talent also makes him one of the organization’s most intriguing pieces for opposing clubs to seek out via trade.

“We really love the bat,” Andrew Friedman said of the 22-year-old.

“He’s a special player,” his future manager, Dave Roberts, said this spring.

It’s that swing that makes Vargas one of the most exciting hitters in the minor leagues, and a potential piece for the Dodgers’ quest to win another World Series if and when he gets the call this fall.

“I don’t think he ever feels, when he steps in the box, that he’s not going to get a hit,” Oklahoma City manager Travis Barbary said. “I’m sure a lot of guys probably feel that way. But this actually, I mean, you can see it. He walks in the box and it’s, ‘All right, I’m going to win this at-bat.’

“I don’t feel like he’s ever in a position where you don’t feel like he’s gonna do something exciting with the bat.”

An all-fields approach is still there and serves him well; he’s still hitting around .300. Now, he’s adding more damage to it, attempting to incorporate his pull-side power to fully unlock the thunder he’s got in that lumber.

“I think it’s gonna be really scary once he truly learns how to pull the baseball,”

Vargas’ time is approaching. His transition to left field, which Friedman said is a signal to add more versatility and utility with how he could impact the big-league roster, is another signal of that. The Dodgers have put together a makeshift platoon in left field as Chris Taylor rehabs a broken foot. While Justin Turner’s bat has rebounded, they’re still looking to get Max Muncy going as the calendar nears August. There will be room for the kind of impact bat Vargas could provide.

“I try not to think too much about it,” Vargas said, knowing he is on the brink. “I’m just trying to play my game. … But when that happens, I’m going to be so happy.”

Does he think he’s ready? Ask him, and his face lightens up."

“I mean, yeah!”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I can't wait for the Dodgers to announce they are calling up Andy Burns

Probably E.Alvarez again unfortunately. C.Taylor is close to a rehab assignment, so between him and Turner it's not likely to be long term opening. 

This whole situation feels really off. I get that they are a great team and stacking wins....but they have consistently been starting guys like T Thompson, Hanser Alberto and Jake Lamb...not to mention struggling vets (which I get)...there has been room --easily-- to get Vargas plenty of ABs, but they just don't. I am starting to believe he is trade bait for a big acquisition.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, IncuRAM said:

Holding until week's end and then cutting bait if there's no action or optimism. Muncy, Lamb, etc. still stinking it up and with J. Turner out still no movement.

Wait until Tuesday, if you can hold the roster spot.