NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Miguel Vargas - 3B LAD

FouLLine

46 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Is there a chance he’s up this year?

I can't imagine he isn't unless he unexpectedly tanks. The NL adding the DH pretty much made him a no-brainer callup for the Dodgers.

I suspect if Bellinger continues to be the worst hitter in baseball we'll see him in May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Three more hits yesterday. 

When you think he's up this year?

Just now, Overlord said:

Tell me how bad Bellinger is going to be the first month of the season.

Let's say he continues the way he is now.  Sometime in May then?

I'm an owner and want him up like everyone else.  I just don't see it anytime soon.  They are stacked. I think only if Turner gets hurt or just sucks badly we won't see Vargas until end of year if lucky. Am I wrong here??

51 minutes ago, RonnieMac said:

I'm an owner and want him up like everyone else.  I just don't see it anytime soon.  They are stacked. I think only if Turner gets hurt or just sucks badly we won't see Vargas until end of year if lucky. Am I wrong here??

Something will happen, always does. Vargas is also 22 yrs old and getting his very first taste of AAA ball. It is prob pretty beneficial for him to soak up a healthy amount of ABs there.

It will likely take both a legit opening at the big league level and him showing really well for a few months in AAA. The DH really helps to open up PT avenues, but so does his cross training at both 1B and 2B too. I think they no doubt have him in their plans for latter in the year, and certainly next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, RonnieMac said:

I think we will see him sooner but he will probably DH.  I don’t think there is any doubt he is ready.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

Missed out on some prospects, will he be up this summer? 

I hope so, but it’s hard to tell with the Dodgers. He will certainly be ready but it’s less sure that they will trust a rookie and not make a move for a vet even if there is a spot for a guy like Vargas.

I’ve been kind of struggling with how to value him actually because it’s a gift and a curse - incredible value being in this org and lineup, but also quite tough to break the lineup and get regular PT. Look at Lux for an example and he was a top 5 prospect in the entire game. To be fair, he has struggled and if he took off it very well could have been a different situation but it makes things tough for young guys. 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:46 PM, tywalson said:

I hope so, but it’s hard to tell with the Dodgers. He will certainly be ready but it’s less sure that they will trust a rookie and not make a move for a vet even if there is a spot for a guy like Vargas.

I’ve been kind of struggling with how to value him actually because it’s a gift and a curse - incredible value being in this org and lineup, but also quite tough to break the lineup and get regular PT. Look at Lux for an example and he was a top 5 prospect in the entire game. To be fair, he has struggled and if he took off it very well could have been a different situation but it makes things tough for young guys. 

Bellinger has seemingly turned it around, so unless there's an injury he's buried for the indefinite future. 

Sucks, but that's how it goes when you're playing for a stacked franchise. 

Flowering in May:

Dodgers' Miguel Vargas: Heating up at plate

Vargas is slashing .367/.486/.600 with a home run, two doubles, a triple, 12 runs, seven RBI and a 7:4 BB:K through eight games with Triple-A Oklahoma City in May.

Vargas batted a modest .259 in April but has picked things up significantly this month to lift his average to .287 on the season. The 22-year-old turned heads with .319/.380/.526 slash line, 23 homers and 11 stolen bases between two minor-league levels in 2021 and hit .308 with a .500 on-base-percentage in nine Cactus League games with the Dodgers this spring. He has impressed at every level of the minors and has even improved his already steady plate discipline this season, walking almost as many times (21) as he has struck out (22). He figures to be a big part of the Dodgers' future plans and could get his first call-up at some point during the current campaign.

Right now just no room, it will likely take an injury for him to get consistent MLB at bats. The mild emergence of both Lux and Rios has really blocked him.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Turner and Bellinger have turned things around, plus Muncy and Rios also provide roadblocks. 

It's going to take an injury or him elevating his play to an ungodly level.  I don't even think a .300+ batting average and a .900+ OPS is going to get it done, as the Dodgers are unlikely to call him up to sit on the bench. 

Edited by Overlord

17 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Turner and Bellinger have turned things around, plus Muncy and Rios also provide roadblocks. 

It's going to take an injury or him elevating his play to an ungodly level.  I don't even think a .300+ batting average and a .900+ OPS is going to get it done, as the Dodgers are unlikely to call him up to sit on the bench. 

What about Lux? Could Vargas stick it at 2B or could the Dodgers juggle the IF to fit him in?