NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rotoworld Software Upgrade Questions and Feedback

1 minute ago, Fiveohnine said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it. 

But this actually goes beyond that and breaks a bunch of stuff while improving NOTHING. 

i can't even get out of the mobile version anymore. 

How do you know it doesn't improve anything? Software upgrades due to security purposes, performance etc... is just part of the computer world, and is necessary for obvious and not so obvious reasons....IF RW upgraded to a new server, this could be a reason for a change. If you want to be less vulnerable to hacks and so on, this could be a reason for a change. I recall a while back there was some issues here @ RW with high traffic and very slow response times. Obvious reason for a upgrade....

I don't like the lack of lines between topics and posters.  Or rather the ultra light cyan (?? whatever color it is suppose to be) and the glare off-whitish that makes everything run together.  Also the thinner looking print.

Haven't tried to go to the end of a post yet.  It looks like that could be an adventure.

And props to guy who asked if Yahoo took over the site.  Just poor beginner's bells and whistles and lack of basic Aesthetics 101 while degrading the backbone.  I've seen site after site fall into this trap.  The feedback builds, the programmers get their backs up, the programmers finally have to give in to common sense but not until several months go by of stuff that could be avoided from the get go ...  sigh.

PS:  Also the pop-up all the times wanting to know if I want to be notified?  I hate hate hate that.  That pop-up never goes away based on a similar forum with a similar notification.  You can tell the pop-up to go jump off a cliff but it keeps popping up endlessly.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bash Bros said:

It's an update from Invision (the people who produce the message boards). I post on another Invision based board and they did their upgrade a week ago. It took a couple of days to iron out the kinks but it's a pretty good finished product once that happens.

this is an update from the site host Invision and not something rotoworld did themselves specifically? if so then I guess I can't blame rotoworld. but so far I don't like this.

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

this is an update from the site host Invision and not something rotoworld did themselves specifically? if so then I guess I can't blame rotoworld. but so far I don't like this.

Invision releases different versions of their message boards and sometimes it requires a full on upgrade. A lot of these message boards are actually extremely intertwined. A lot of the time when the RW forums are down, so is the other Invision based forum that I post on.

I don't know all of the specific nerdy tech info that goes into these types of things, but I'd wager that this upgrade was handed down straight from Invision.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

so is this where I post about the change I noticed this morning here at Rotoworld? I HATE IT!

why was there a change? what was wrong with the forum the way it was? nothing. everything was easy, this sucks.

This new format is definitely ugly. Also makes it more difficult to choose the latest post in a thread. I hate having to choose page and scroll.

One suggestion I'd like to see with the current version and older version is to include the forum path on the bottom of a thread. It is already located at the top. But once you scroll to bottom and are reading the last post you have to go all the way up top to go back.

• Like 1

Overall I don't mind it, I like the cleaner black and white look compared to the blue/white old mobile site. Only complaints are that I need to be taken to the last post I previously read when I click on a players page, and to be able to see who likes posts.  Also the quote function needs to be cleaned up a little bit to make it cleaner looking.  

But yeah, full faith it'll be sorted out eventually. It's only be online for a couple hours now. 

It'll take some getting used to, but it's not terrible

I can post GIFs and images from my phone though, which is awesome. I know you could before, but it was confusing AF. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Like 2

They really need to bring back where all the topics are in bold and then when you read a topic, it becomes grayed so you can tell which posts you saw the last post.  It helps me sort out what threads has new posts since I last read it.

• Like 5

So far I don't mind it. Some things I wish they had...

This is all for mobile:

See who liked someone's post

A button at the top to go to the forum home page

So far not a huge fan of the scrolling over someone's name pop up 

Get rid of the sound notifications please (EDIT: JUST DISABLED IT IN SETTINGS. PROBLEM SOLVED)

Really so far I think it does look nicer. Just needs some tweaks. I just think the old one was fine,  and people really don't want anything new at this point. So far I do like it though so good job

Edited by mpbaseball22

The other Invision forum I post on looked AWFUL after the site came back online after the initial upgrade, but by the end of the next day they had everything fixed and it works great now. The mobile version is so much better than the old one. Give it some time. If they leave it like this then they're ruining a great community. I can't see them doing that.

• Patrick Bateman changed the title to Rotoworld Software Upgrade Questions and Feedback

from what I've noticed all the older topics before this change you can't go to the last post read. however once there is a new post since the change you can go to the first new post.

the threads with a new post are more bold, but every other thread is white/gray/white/gray/white/gray/ect. this should be changed. there should be more of a noticable difference between threads that have been read and threads that have not.

• Like 1

Need to fix the search function asap.  Forum is boarder line useless without it and you're going to get a multitude of duplicate threads soon.  

I understand the need for upgrade.  As technology changes, websites must change too.  You can't run Windows 98 forever.  I just hope that whoever is changing the layout keeps listening to feedback.  

I see this in my settings.

Your browser has enabled desktop notifications, allowing us to tell you when there's new content even if you aren't active in this window.

I haven't had this with any other website that I've noticed. how do I turn this off?

at the top I have "#" when I get a notification, but I also get a pop up. is there a way to still see the # but not get the pop up?