Week 9: Breaking Down The Schedule

@DireFantasy

The majority of NHL teams play 3 games this week, but 2 teams play only once, 4 teams play only twice, and 4 teams play a plentiful 4 games. Here is the complete schedule break down and how I think it reflects waiver wire decisions this week. :blink:

1 GAME

Toronto (Tuesday)

A 1 game week and I’m holding onto the 21% owned Leo Komarov in leagues that count hits, as he’s second in the league in that category and has 16 points in 27 games with a 0 +/- for the lowly Leafs. Maybe I’m too attached. Opinions?

Anaheim (Friday)

With only 1 game to play this week, it’s safe to drop any Duck besides Corey Perry or Ryan Gerzlaf in a standard league. Cam Fowler has been producing, but it’s hard to hold value on a team that scores under 2 goals/game.

2 GAMES

Edmonton (Wednesday, Friday)

Not a good week to add any Oilers.

Pittsburgh (Wednesday, Friday)

If your league counts hits, I’d try to hang onto Chris Kunitz, as he’s 7th in the league. He also get’s the luxury of skating alongside Sidney Crosby.

Winnipeg (Thursday, Friday)

With Ondrej Pavelec out until at least January, Connor Hellebuyck looks like an excellent add. He’s won 3 of 3.

Michael Hutchinson should be in net Friday vs. Chicago’s backup goalie. I wouldn’t blame you for starting either of the two, but I’d prefer Darling at home.

Tampa Bay (Thursday, Saturday)

It’s been rough if you drafted any Lightning this season and it’s not going to get any better on a 2 game week, with Tyler Johnson’s health up in the air.

3 GAMES

Boston (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday)

Nothing to see here.

Buffalo (Monday, Thurday, Saturday)

Nothing new here. Although if Rasmus Ristolainen is still avaialble, you should add him. He’s produced 11 points, 27 SOG (2.25 which would be 20th in the league among defensmen), 20 hits, and a 6 +/- rating over his last 12 games.

Edit: Sam Rienhart was just brought to my attention on the Left Wing Lock forum. I think he’s a decent play, but until he’s on the top power play unit, I’m not interested for the 3 game week.

Minnesota (Monday, Friday Saturday)

Not an urgent add on a 3 game week, but Mikael Granlund’s ownership is way too low. He plays on the top line and top power play unit with Zach Parise and they’re only going to get better.

Devan Dubnyk has a groin injury and will miss at least Monday. Darcy Kuemper is just a decent start @ Colorado on Monday, but would become a must add if Dubnyk was to miss a significant amount of time. Definitely a situation I will monitor throughout the week.

Vancouver (Monday, Wednesday, Sunday)

Nothing to see here.

San Jose (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday)

Alex Stalock is a poor goaltender, but he could easily come away with a win on Wednesday @Edmonton as he did on 9/22 @Columbus.

Detroit (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)

Justin Abdelkader is back on the top line, which is the 9th highest scoring line in hockey, so add him now if available (40% owned).

Both Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek are over 60% owned, but, if you can, add whichever one will be in net vs. the medicore Devils on Friday.

Philadelphia (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)

Playing in St. Louis and in Dallas on the back to back and with uncertainty of who will start, there’s nothing to get excited about here.

Calgary (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)

I avoid Calgary players, as they’ve allowed the most goals in the league and don’t score many either.

Columbus (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Nothing to get excited about here. I don’t mind Boone Jenner, who plays on the top line and top power play unit, and is tied for 50th in SOG/game. I don’t think he’s a great add, but I noticed a lot of people are dropping him.

Florida (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Like I said last week: Aleksander Barkov is a must add player in all leagues. Florida is an above average squad and Barkov- a highly talented young player yet to breakout – is on the top line and top power play unit. His 26% ownership will be at 80% before season’s end.

Ottawa (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)

There’s no one worth adding that isn’t already over 50% owned, but if you can get your hand on anyone on the top PP play unit, do it.

Washington (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Justin Williams is a decent add, as he skates on the second best power play unit in the league and has a 7 +/- rating. He’s a solid veteran with 70 point upside.

Arizona (Tuesday, Friday, Saturday)

Anders Lindback should be in goal against Carolina, who has the fewest team points in the league, on Saturday. Get him in your lineups for that start.

Carolina (Tuesday, Friday, Saturday)

Eddie Lack should get a start @ Arizona on Saturday, but that’s a desperation play. Carolina should lose that game.

Dallas (Tuesday, Friday, Saturday)

Valeri Nichushkin replaced Patrick Sharp on the league’s top scoring line on Friday, but remained on the second power play unit, so he’s worth an add for now. He may eventually play on the top power play unit and become very valuable or he could lose his spot on the top line and become worthless. Wait and see time.

Los Angeles (Tuesday, Friday, Saturday)

Jon Quick usually starts both games on a back to back, but if Jhonas Enroth gets in the net Tuesday @ Columbus or Saturday @ Buffalo he’s likely to get a win.

New Jersey (Tuesday, Friday, Sunday)

Lee Stempniak is a decent add. He’s eligible at LW and RW, skates on the top power play unit, and gets a fair ammount of hits and SOG.

NY Islanders (Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday)

Thomas Greiss racked up 2 wins last week and will be in line for at least 1 more this week, likely @ home vs. the Devils.

Frans Nielsen is a decent add, as he’s on the first power play unit and leads the team in SOG. Temper expectations with Nielsen, though, as the second line hasn’t done much scoring this season.

Montreal (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Mike Condon started both games of the last back to back, so there’s no guarantee the recent AHL call up will see action this week. If he does, he’s worth the risk in net for NHLs second ranked team.

25% owned David Desharnais is on the top line with Max Pacioretty, but hasn’t been taking many shots and is only eligible at the center position. He’s a decent add, but nothing special.

NY Rangers (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday)

Antti Raanta doesn’t have a win in his last 3, but he should be in line for one Saturday @Calgary.

The good times may be over for Mats Zuccarello, as he’s been removed from Rick Nash’s top line. He’s still on the top PP unit, so we’ll wait and see.

4 GAMES

Nashville (Monday, Tuesday, Thurday, Saturday)

Carter Hutton should be in goal @ Chicago on Tuesday to conclude Nashville’s road trip. He’s in play, but starting him entirely depends on your situation and league’s scoring settings.

13% owned Mike Ribeiro is great add for the 4 game week. He’s on the top line with Filip Forsberg. Lines consisting of the two combined for 35 goals last season. It’s not a great schedule this week, but Ribeiro will fall into production in 4 games alongside Forsberg.

Colorado (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday)

Reto Bara could get a tough match up @ St. Louis on Sunday, only a consideration if you’re desperate.

Chicago (Tuesday, Thurday, Friday, Sunday)

Artemi Panarin is a great add, if he’s available.

Backup goalie Scott Darling won’t be in a great match up, but is in play Friday vs. the Jets.

St. Louis (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday)

Paul Stasty is a great add this week with 4 games to play, as he’s on the top line and top PP unit. Tarasenko lines have combined for 15 goals this season. It’s just a matter of time before St. Louis starts putting together big offensive nights.

Source

Archived