NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jimmy Nelson - SP MIL

deuce4off

Semi under-the-radar prospect, although probably Milwaukee's best prospect, putting up good numbers at AAA this year. 25 IP, 13 hits, 25 k's, 7 bb's, 1.80 ERA, .151 BAA. Fastball low to mid 90's, quality slider, and a changeup. Last start, 7 IP, 2h, 9k.

Knocks on him in the past were below average command and a questionable changeup. From the looks of the numbers, his command seems to have improved. Not sure if the changeup has improved or not. Should be the first to get a chance at a spot in the rotation if someone falters. Someone to keep an eye on. Will be 25 in June, so he's ready.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Nelson making the off-season signing of Matt Garza look like a mistake. While Garza sits at a 4.98 ERA and 1.45 WHIP, Nelson continues to dominate the PCL.

Ytd stats;

51 IP, 33 H, 16 BB, 53 K, 1.76 ERA, .181 BAA

Matt Fiers is also dominating AAA. Milwaukee has two guys right now who deserve a spot in the rotation. Problem being; Estrada, Peralta, Lohse, and Gallardo are all dealing....and it looks like they'll have to stick with Garza and his 4yr 50mil contract for the time being.

Now has 58 Ks in 58 innings, and all 9 of his starts have been QS. Pretty impressive for any league, especially the PCL.

Looks great but I'd guess that Fiers would get the call first if the Brewers needed another SP... Might be a bit of a logjam for him to come up.

I wouldn't expect Fiers to get in the way despite his successful season thus far. Nelson is the better talent and his performance speaks for itself. More ground outs, less homers and a lower baa. Plus, Fiers has had a total of 3 QS's in the majors dating back to August 2012 out a total of 15 GS. Anyhow, not sure where Nelson fits in asides from an injury fill-in since the Brewers rotation is locked up through 2015, assuming Gallardo's option is picked up that is.

I watched a game of his the other night. Decent stuff and induces a good number of ground-ball outs.

His upside is probably around Doug Fister's A solid #3 pitcher that could be a #2 on some staffs. His K/9 will never be elite, but he could flirt with low ERA/WHIP.

I hope he gets the call. If he pitches well I wonder if he could stick

i hope so since i snagged him, but i doubt it.

who would he replace? lohse, garza, estrada, and peralta have all been pitching well enough haven't they? i don't keep up with the brewers that much, but quickly glancing over their stats i don't see anything that looks horrible.

estrada has the highest fip with a 5.03 but his era is 3.64 with an xfip of 3.87.. so nothing worth talking about really.

just don't see a place for him to fit in.

who would he replace? lohse, garza, estrada, and peralta have all been pitching well enough haven't they? i don't keep up with the brewers that much, but quickly glancing over their stats i don't see anything that looks horrible.

estrada has the highest fip with a 5.03 but his era is 3.64 with an xfip of 3.87.. so nothing worth talking about really.

No. Garza owns a 4.92 ERA. Not saying he'll replace Garza because they just gave him a 4yr/50mil contract, but no, Garza hasn't pitched well.

No. Garza owns a 4.92 ERA. Not saying he'll replace Garza because they just gave him a 4yr/50mil contract, but no, Garza hasn't pitched well.

Garza has a 3.73 fip and a strand rate of 62%, which is roughly 10% below his career rate. I'm not a garza apologist by any stretch, but I think he's pitched well enough to keep his place in the rotation considering his contract. He'd probably need to get a lot worse to be considered for a demotion.

Now that I think about it, if Estrada continues to have hr issues (currently at 2.3/9) and his strand rate comes down (currently at 88%) I could see him being replaced, but this is something that will occur further down the line.

Yep. The only thing was that he had a little bit of a control issue and was throwing a bit more balls and walking a few more than you would like to see. But his background demonstrates he always walks a lot until he adjusts to the level.

Pretty good stuff from what I was seeing, and was throwing in the mid 90s a lot. I think the spot start method is actually good for him to build up the confidence a bit before rolling with him full-time.

Archived