NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Start Michael Cuddyer or Richie Sexson at 1B?

arkdragoon

Currently, I'm jostling my 1B day in and day out because I can't decide on which 1B to consistently play: Cuddyer or Sexson.

Here is my opinion on the respective players:

Michael Cuddyer

Pros

1. Bats between Mauer and Morneau (great place to hit)

2. Hits for a better average than Sexson

3. Scores more runs than Sexson

Cons

1. No track record, besides a great 2nd half of the season last year

2. Hits for less power than Sexson

Richie Sexson

Pros

1. Hits for more power than Cuddyer

2. May have more RBI opportunities

Cons

1. Will probably score less runs than Cuddyer

2. Hits for a lesser average than Cuddyer

3. Seattle isnt' known to have a high scoring offense

Let me know if you guys agree with these pros and cons. What do you think? Do you like Cuddyer or Sexson better?

Currently, I'm jostling my 1B day in and day out because I can't decide on which 1B to consistently play: Cuddyer or Sexson.

Here is my opinion on the respective players:

Michael Cuddyer

Pros

1. Bats between Mauer and Morneau (great place to hit)

2. Hits for a better average than Sexson

3. Scores more runs than Sexson

Cons

1. No track record, besides a great 2nd half of the season last year

2. Hits for less power than Sexson

Richie Sexson

Pros

1. Hits for more power than Cuddyer

2. May have more RBI opportunities

Cons

1. Will probably score less runs than Cuddyer

2. Hits for a lesser average than Cuddyer

3. Seattle isnt' known to have a high scoring offense

Let me know if you guys agree with these pros and cons. What do you think? Do you like Cuddyer or Sexson better?

Those pros and cons sound about right. If your league keeps track of batter strikeouts, that's the biggest con against Sexson.

As far as which one is the better choice, or which one you should be clearly starting over the other right now, my answer would be neither. Not in that neither of them are good, but for now, like you said, we don't really know what to expect from Cuddyer.

My suggestion would be to keep platooning them until one of them forces you to stick with that player. Let their production dictate your lineups, don't just go off "feeling".

So what should you do until then? Pay attention to who each of them are playing. Is the game in Safeco, or a hitters park? Sexson did better on the road than at home last year. Is one of them facing a lefty on the mound? Righties are considerably better against LHP (although both of these guys are about the same against each hand).

So, for tomorrow, you have Sexson vs Sabathia and Cuddyer vs Vasquez. I'd probably go with Cuddyer.

I would go with the hot hand, which would be Cuddyer right now. And you're right, it doesn't get any better than batting cleanup between Mauer and Morneau. Sexson has a good spot in the lineup too, but he is feast or famine, and Seattle is not a prolific offense. Play Cuddyer until he struggles or Sexson forces your hand, that's how I would go about it.

Archived