NBC Sports EDGE Forums

DET-NYY 03/31 Opening Day Gameday Thread

RotoRaysfan

With Opening Day here, along with the Daily Lineup threads, it's time to revive another annual tradition - the MLB Gameday Threads.

For those new to the Forums - ANY member is free to start off a Gameday thread. For those coming from the Football Forum, unlike the NFL, we do not put up a Gameday thread for every game of the day - with 162 game season and 30 teams, and games every day, it's not like the NFL. BUT, if there are games that will obviously get a lot of attention for FBB and real-life MLB reasons, a Gameday thread can be put up by any member - we only ask that you date and title the thread like above (since teams play each other 12-18x a year, unlike the NFL). Not only does it provide a great thread for in-game discussion - but in the case of pitchers, it prevents the 2011 Player threads from being pages of simple PBP (play-by-play updates) for games. It's been a request since the 2008-9 seasons by the community, and it's worked well in the past, so time to get started again.

OK, with that out of the way - this matchup ought to be a great one, with Verlander vs. CC. Will A-Rod get off to a hot start? Can Tex show a pulse? Will Cano leap forward as not just the top 2B in MLB (now that Utley is out, no contest), but a MVP candidate? A healthy Yankees lineup with Cano/A-Rod/Tex looks pretty awesome, but has to face an absolute workhorse ace in Verlander, whose notorious slow Aprils will no doubt motivate him to get off to a fast start.

On the Tigers' side, can Miggy quiet the Bronx Zoo (as the hecklers will be out in full force)? V-Mart gets to show his stuff for his new teammates, and we get to see if A-Jax can build on his rookie success, after a tough spring.

Should be a great one - please post updates / analysis for those stuck at work - it's much appreciated! B)

Just on a weather note. Currently light rain with heavy stuff not too far away! I really hope they get this game in!

Any updates?

On a game-related side...also curious to see if Tex can shake his annual early season struggles...

Verlander's fastball's got some sick movement on it today. He blew away Gardner after throwing 7 straight fastballs. Got Jeter out on a slider which induced weak contact (I'd consider it a grounder).

His mechanics look very sound but he's not locating well (which is weird, obviously). But considering how unfair his stuff is, he's not really getting left behind (82 MPH change-up followed by a 96 MPH fastball with crazy, crazy movement). He's gotten ahead of every hitter, but all his good pitches on 0-2 kept getting fouled. IIRC, I think Verlander may have been the league leader in foul balls on a x-2 count. Teix and A-Rod were both walked after initially being overpowered; A-Rod didn't really even foul much. Right now, Verlander's definitely having some trouble with control.

He finally overpowered Cano on a 97 MPH heater. That pitch is unfair. 30+ pitches in the first, though, and he hasn't found the strike zone. I wouldn't necessarily be worried, but he's definitely not lasting too long today.

Just caught the bottom of the 1st, missed the top (at work) - nice to see Verlander using all 4 of his pitches, just a very patient Yankee team working him to 20+ pitches (as is their MO).

I gotta disagree. He wasn't locating any pitch well except his fastball and change-up at times. Slider hit the outside once, every other time he tried to lure a righty, they let the slider tail off and didn't chase. I didn't even see more than possibly one curve.

- Granderson's oblique got a quick test early with two line shot put outs, one in which he had to make running head first dive.

- Great AB Cano vs Verlander. First AB of the year, Cano owners get a 1st&2nd RBI opp. He's going to have another big year.

Miggy looks REALLY chubby. Doesn't seem to be affecting his swing though.

He's definitely eating his way into Fielder territory (Sr.). He can still swing the stick just fine, though.

I'm guessing they don't double steal, though. B)

P.S. MLBTV is lagging a little for me - it looks like CC isn't up to his 93-94. That correct? I don't make too much of it, as it's hard to get loose, just curious.

Verlander's fastball's got some sick movement on it today. He blew away Gardner after throwing 7 straight fastballs. Got Jeter out on a slider which induced weak contact (I'd consider it a grounder).

His mechanics look very sound but he's not locating well (which is weird, obviously). But considering how unfair his stuff is, he's not really getting left behind (82 MPH change-up followed by a 96 MPH fastball with crazy, crazy movement). He's gotten ahead of every hitter, but all his good pitches on 0-2 kept getting fouled. IIRC, I think Verlander may have been the league leader in foul balls on a x-2 count. Teix and A-Rod were both walked after initially being overpowered; A-Rod didn't really even foul much. Right now, Verlander's definitely having some trouble with control.

He finally overpowered Cano on a 97 MPH heater. That pitch is unfair. 30+ pitches in the first, though, and he hasn't found the strike zone. I wouldn't necessarily be worried, but he's definitely not lasting too long today.

I gotta disagree. He wasn't locating any pitch well except his fastball and change-up at times. Slider hit the outside once, every other time he tried to lure a righty, they let the slider tail off and didn't chase. I didn't even see more than possibly one curve.

This, he has his "ace" stuff today. The Yankee hitters are making him work, but dang does that FB make me smile watching it come out of his hand.

He's definitely eating his way into Fielder territory

P.S. MLBTV is lagging a little for me - it looks like CC isn't up to his 93-94. That correct? I don't make too much of it, as it's hard to get loose, just curious.

He's in the 91-93 range. I'm not seeing much of his natural sink on it, though.

Edit: CC's showing pretty good control, though. His slider's on today.

I think part of why CC has bad starts to the season is being such a big guy, it's harder for him to get loose in cold weather. As alluded to, although I'm lagging on work PC, he has a touch less velo, a touch less movement, and definitely less command early on - which I think is due to the damp conditions. Notice as the inning goes on, he gets a little more of the usual movement. It will be interesting to see if he can get into a groove now.

This, he has his "ace" stuff today. The Yankee hitters are making him work, but dang does that FB make me smile watching it come out of his hand.

I think he could just pitch that 2-seam out pitch for the next 5 innings and get Ks. He's getting popped on that 12/6 meatball he's tossing.

I've always wondered why Verlander has such a hard time putting guys away. Granderson battled for a while before Verlander finally got him with another fastball.

Rick Knapp, DET's pitching coach, talked about it last year - said Verlander sometimes needs to stop worrying about K's and just make pitches in good locations - and the K's will come. He did allude to fact that Verlander sometimes gets really pumped up, and starts losing that tick of movement by overthrowing.

Here, I think it's just a very good Yankee lineup, but which is still overmatched the first time through - but good enough to hang in there, fight off a lot of pitcher's pitches. A lesser lineup would have been toast with no problems IMO. The key for them is extending him - even though he's a horse, if they can get him out early, or tired, in that stadium, well...y'know.

Rick Knapp, DET's pitching coach, talked about it last year - said Verlander sometimes needs to stop worrying about K's and just make pitches in good locations - and the K's will come. He did allude to fact that Verlander sometimes gets really pumped up, and starts losing that tick of movement by overthrowing.

Here, I think it's just a very good Yankee lineup, but which is still overmatched the first time through - but good enough to hang in there, fight off a lot of pitcher's pitches. A lesser lineup would have been toast with no problems IMO. The key for them is extending him - even though he's a horse, if they can get him out early, or tired, in that stadium, well...y'know.

I don't know if it can be attributed entirely to this. I honestly think he doesn't have a feel for his breaking pitches yet, so he's relying on his fastball a lot right now. Yanks are timing it and making weak contact or whiffing. Right now, I really think it's that simple.

But, generally, I think that's a correct assessment. I saw him earlier try to get A-Rod out on two sliders, but they both just missed badly. Once he gets a better feel for even just his change-up, he'll have a much easier time.

I don't know if what he's doing right now is wise, though. He's challenged the last 4 or 5 hitters up in the zone. With 97 MPH heat, you can obviously do that but when he's throwing really just fastballs, I don't know if it's a great idea against this lineup the second time around.

Archived