NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Best Fantasy Sports Experts

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread (considering we're on Rotoworld)....but was just wondering what people thought of all the fantasy experts out there

My Rankings:

1. Yahoo! - Matt Buser - Maybe it's because I've always followed him and worship the ground he walks on...AND he has his own website, like...OHMIGOSH!

2. Rotoworld - Dr. A (Steve Alexander?)...but he's never answered one of my questions on those live chats...

3. Fantasybasketball.com - Mike Gallagher...his podcasts are alright. The sites a bit dull though..

4. NBA.com - Rick Kamla (I think he's a bit annoying though "If Channing Frye is still available in your league, than your league is DEFUNKED!"

5. ESPN - Some of the writers are alright, but Lipscomb is a clown. I rank the website higher, but there are too many "experts" to keep track of...

6. CBS - Sergio Gonzalez...eh, CBS isn't the greatest website for fantasy...

7. Fanhouse - Tom Lorenzo... I only go to this sight when I can't find any other fantasy articles to read

Anyone I left out? I don't have a subscription to Rotowire, but I read a few of there articles and didn't think that they were worth paying for...

Am I the only person that knows about 7 different fantasy websites and uses 5 of them on a regular basis?

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread (considering we're on Rotoworld)....but was just wondering what people thought of all the fantasy experts out there

My Rankings:

1. Yahoo! - Matt Buser - Maybe it's because I've always followed him and worship the ground he walks on...AND he has his own website, like...OHMIGOSH!

2. Rotoworld - Dr. A (Steve Alexander?)...but he's never answered one of my questions on those live chats...

3. Fantasybasketball.com - Mike Gallagher...his podcasts are alright. The sites a bit dull though..

4. NBA.com - Rick Kamla (I think he's a bit annoying though "If Channing Frye is still available in your league, than your league is DEFUNKED!"

5. ESPN - Some of the writers are alright, but Lipscomb is a clown. I rank the website higher, but there are too many "experts" to keep track of...

6. CBS - Sergio Gonzalez...eh, CBS isn't the greatest website for fantasy...

7. Fanhouse - Tom Lorenzo... I only go to this sight when I can't find any other fantasy articles to read

Anyone I left out? I don't have a subscription to Rotowire, but I read a few of there articles and didn't think that they were worth paying for...

Am I the only person that knows about 7 different fantasy websites and uses 5 of them on a regular basis?

None of the above. The consensus from the regulars and experts in this forum trumps any of these guys. They have many responsibilities, usually do a bunch of industry leagues, and they are not as focused on fantasy. You want the lifers and die-hards in here -that's your ticket.

None of the above. The consensus from the regulars and experts in this forum trumps any of these guys. They have many responsibilities, usually do a bunch of industry leagues, and they are not as focused on fantasy. You want the lifers and die-hards in here -that's your ticket.

Whilst I agree that the regulars and experts in here can wipe the floor with the likes of Kamla and Lipscomb, I do enjoy the occasion fantasy read. I mean, when you read/hear some of the things the "experts" are saying, it IS a bit ridiculous at times and it makes me wanna see how badly they're doing in their leagues.

But I find the forum as more engaging/interesting while the website articles for entertaining...

I still think Buser is the real deal though...cause he ALSO uses BBM and tries to hook up his readers with the website discounts...

I only ever read ESPN, and that is just because I play there and it is easy. Saying that, I don't really read any expert columns. I would rather come on here and discuss everything with y'all...

I mean, how much more can these people know than us?

I only ever read ESPN, and that is just because I play there and it is easy. Saying that, I don't really read any expert columns. I would rather come on here and discuss everything with y'all...

I mean, how much more can these people know than us?

Very true. I don't read any so called expert articles out there to do my draft or set up my teams. It just years of playing and learning that will eventually be good enough. Or even if it's not good enough, so what, it is still fantasy sports, and it should be YOUR fantasy sports. So pick what you think and who you think should be on your teams. Don't let so called experts tell you what to pick.

But to say I don't read any articles is a lie, because I read them for news and injury updates. And now that I found rotoworld, it's all good.

when i was younger i use to call into kamla's show, even got to talk to doc a on a threeway call once. it was more entertaining than anything else. doc a, kamla, and buser are all savvy, ethusiastic dudes whose stuff i read, but its usually just restating the obvious, while occasionally adding some nice insight. particularly because my main league is a 20 team keeper league thats been going on for a decade, any of their flavors of the week have already been picked up on in that league. to me, they aren't much different than posters on here or my other friends that ive been playing fantasy with for years, just another perspective. ill listen to their take, and often its insightful, but it doesnt add much that i dont already know from being a fan of the game or discussing ball with my friends.

but rotoworld and sites like that are still invaluable because they're a leg up on injury news and things like that

Sorry...I guess I forgot to mention that I'm in Europe...where there is no NBA on TV, in the newspaper, or anywhere.

So yeah...I only found RW at the end of last season and spent a lot of time getting my information from the websites online.

I think North Americans take their exposure and access to basketball for granted...

I don't blame Kamla but he basically only handles softball questions and predictions. I've never gotten any insight from him.

Dr. A focuses more on Fantasy for people who are a bit more experienced which is nice. If you have been playing the game less than two or three years, he's going to be a bible for you. Now I just like sending him emails about his man-crush on Jsmoove ;-) To me he is about equal to the best posters on this list but its in a very accessible format. I rarely read him and find information that I totally never thought of, but at least he is thinking about the same players and issues that I am. That puts him in a whole different league than almost every other "expert." Plus, I think he is a good writer, which is not that common in fantasy bball.

That said, in terms of news and information, to me Rotoworld is still the gold standard. The player news updates are still the single most valuable source of information outside of the message boards.

One good way to tell how someone is NOT an expert is by looking at their ranking list. If Dwight Howard is listed in their top 30 list then you know the guy doesn't have a clue.

And there is a core issue - league type.

I pretty much only use leauge message boards because I mostly play salary-cap stuff where hardly any "expert" deals with.

Experts as a whole are only good for injury news and sleeper (under the radar/rookie) stuff. Everything else requires your brain and an understanding of statistics and rules.

So if this thread is about quality then they are all almost even, imo with Rotoworld ruling the court but from an "entertainment perspective" the above info from OP is good.

i always play in a deeper league, thus most of the feeds are not that usful to me.

Prop to Dr.A for carry a corner for the deeper leagues concerns in most of his articles last year. And it's always fun to see the players I grabbed was mentioned in the articles.

Among the list above, I like Matt and Dr.A

• 1 month later...

I would still put Rotoworld near the top, but there are a ton of lesser known fantasy sites that have very good writers and minds.

I think that having inside connections and resources gives a lot of the bigger sites an edge, or at least a "supposed" edge. However, I view Rotoworld.com as cream of the crop, and I have a few other sites in mind, although I'm not going to broadcast them all.

The site FantasyPros.com does a good enough job of that for me, and us, really.

Fantazzle.com is also going to do its part of tracking the top experts in fantasy football, as they have a $10,000 high stakes ff league this year, and they'll be tracking the winner/leaders of this league all season, giving props to the winning teams, and all the other teams that do well.

Not saying that means they ARE "experts", but if you win a 10k league with a prize around 100k, you probably know what you're talking about.

Think you're one of these aforementioned "experts"? Prove it: http://www.fantazzle.com/fantasy-football/...all-leagues.php

But personally, I'd throw my own site up there, ha. Then again, isn't 50% of fantasy football luck anyways, not matter how much planning goes into the season? Good luck to all this year, and here's to hoping we ALL become experts...

• 1 month later...
dr. a also has the music taste of a 13 year old girl discovering pitchfork for the first time. band of horses suck.

thats right i hope you're reading you lil girl

Ha, yeah, i'm here. Funny. 13 year old girl? Um, I got one, and trust me, she's not listening to anything close to what I write about.

Ha, yeah, i'm here. Funny. 13 year old girl? Um, I got one, and trust me, she's not listening to anything close to what I write about.

give her a few months reading internet music blogs and she'll be all caught up.

doing college radio, all the over-excited girl interns i got were obsessed with bands like band of horses, fleet foxes, polyphonic spree and blah blah blah generic indie pop. sure they were older than 13, but they had to start some time, right? sooo much more modern rock out there than those conventional confines.

but im mainly teasing you. anyone that interviews doug martsch is a good man in my book. stephen malkmus is alright too. but band of horses still suck.

speaking of that threeway doc a/kamla call, this is shapan btw. post more often doc, the rest of these guys aren't as big of a smart a** as i am. B)

• 2 months later...

For fantasy football...according to the accuracy rankings at fantasypros, some guy named John Paulsen is ranked #1. I think Rosenthal is pretty high up too. I think there's too much variance from week to week, so I usually just take a quick look at every expert's ranking for the player's I'm trying to decide between. Really quick to do if you use their start/sit tool.

Rotoworld is my mainstay during the day, all I really need is a newsfeed. After I check, I usually read the posts. Doc's stuff is usually informative and worth reading.

Other than that, I read Hoopshype and truehoop blog.

Then I watch as many games as I can.

For fantasy football, I like Matt Pitzer. But he doesn't post very often anymore.

Archived